Page 1,549 of 1,842 1 2 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1841 1842
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holy Smokes! That's a wopper!

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a big buck, our season doesn't start til the 14th so for now I'm going off what I see from my archery stand when I can make it out, and what I see here. Good Luck for those still hunting!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie
We did ok. Two for two, a spike and doe. Tenderloins for dinner Saturday and skinned and quartered back home by 2:45 Sunday. Need to get another big doe muzzle-loading the metro zone though.

Skinning/quartering time at home:

[Linked Image]

Saturday night dinner fixins:

[Linked Image]

Packed up for the earliest departure ever for us:

[Linked Image]
Gonna need some help butchering? Let me know.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot a few rifles yesterday. Not impressed by the groups of any of them, but there was a 10+ MPH crosswind, so I guess as long as they're zeroed, I'll be fine.

Had half a dozen does in the field behind the house again this morning at first light. Hoping they keep hanging around so as to bring some bucks into the area for the opener this Sunday.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Nice reports guys!

Nothing to report for camo chickenbuck, other than good laughs, great food and a battle with a muddy access road to the camp. We will be back at camp soon though!

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Really happy for my nephew. He knocked down this nice 10-pointer this morning. Last year his younger brother also got a 10-pointer (his first year out). Great to see these young boys have success. Hung this one on a digital scale ... 209lb dressed out.
[Linked Image]

Not just yeah, but HELL YEAH!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Gonna need some help butchering? Let me know.

I think we're good with these two, as they are quartered, and we both had today off to hunt. I will hopefully be taking you up on the offer again like last year if I get a metro zone bonus doe though.

Thanks!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We are now out of the woods and back "on the grid" and hearing about this UFO sighting in california that is being explained as a navy missile test. This was supposedly on sunday the 8th I believe?

Well, we saw something in the sky on the morning of the 7th that looked a little bit like a jet but it was glowing orange in the morning sky. It had a trail but not a long trail like you see with jets and the trail was broad, it looked to be traveling the speed of a jet but we thought it was a comet. like the leading point of the object was on fire, noticeably bright lead point with what looked like a flaming bloom. We saw it in the southern sky, it seemed to be traveling west and angled downward, not parallel with the horizon. It wasn't a streaking white line like a "shooting star", we had time for Missy to get everybody outside to watch it and we observed it until it went below tree top level.

It was a ways off, If I had to guess I would think that folks in Bemidji would have had a decent view of it.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear the success was pretty limited. I was really hoping to hear Chickenbuck Joe and T-zone's boy Jackson had showed us old timers how to get it done. Just the same, it sounds like everyone had a real good time, and made some everlasting memories. The only thing I came home with was one whopper of a cold. Feeling like crap today. I had planned on calling in well and hunting today-I called in sick instead. 'Sucks when a cold gets in the way of deer hunting!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had my chance on a fat little 4 pointer. A clean miss. I congratulated him for his win, thanked him for the opportunity, and now I hope nobody else gets him so that he breeds a lot of does in the coming weeks ahead.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 22WRF
Had my chance on a fat little 4 pointer. A clean miss. I congratulated him for his win, thanked him for the opportunity, and now I hope nobody else gets him so that he breeds a lot of does in the coming weeks ahead.
Well said!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Brought my daughter (11) out yesterday. Her second year of deer hunting. We had a 6 point buck sneaking through the willows that was soon coming to a nice 10 foot wide opening. Oh, this just might work, she is all lined up....there was only one potential snag. In the middle of this opening was about a 9-inch tree. Sure enough, he stopped with his bread basket behind that tree. Good opportunity but it just didnt work out.

A little while later a doe pops out about 40 yards from us and walks right to us at 20 yards. Lauren says, I want to shoot a buck and am going to let this doe go. Okay, it is your decision. But then I look and there is a buck in the willows behind her. A nice 8 pointer. He stays in the willows and closes the gap to 12 yards! I tell Lauren, go ahead and shoot him through those willows as they are so close to him it shouldnt matter. I wait for the boom.......She says I cant find him in the scope! He is directly in front of the sun and the willows are all gray. I even have problems picking him up if I move my eyes to the doe for a second. the lighting was just really weird. Pretty soon, the does senses something and blows. he blows and they run 20 yards and stop. Pretty soon they lay down 40 yards from us. For the next 5 hours we were on guard. He almost died about 2 hours into it, but was behind some brush. then about 2 pm she trots off with him in tow. It happened so fast, there was no chance for her.

Now here is the funny part. I have shot a lot of whitetail bucks and this year even a 6X6 bull elk with my bow. I do not get buck fever. But when she had that buck at 12 yards, she was shaking like a leaf. Then I noticed it. I was shaking!!! Pretty cool to experience that with your daughter. I cant really explain why I was shaking. I would have passed that buck without a second thought if I was by myself. But her excitement sure was contagious! I love it!

No deer yet for her or I (my dad got a buck). Plenty of hunting left though.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great story!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's an awesome story BM!

I have to run a different plan of attack next year for the kids. The it woods of north east is a great experience, but when you're learning to hunt, you need to see deer to keep interested. I'm pretty sure jack will stick with it but kennedy probably won't.

We are giving it a shot closer to duluth, where there are a few more deer... We hope. Jack and I sat there Sunday afternoon and did have a dos come out, but she got into tall grass and we didn't have a chance for a shot. We could see glimpses of her as she climbed a hill.

I'm very proud of him. He stayed in the woods dark to dark on opening day. And he really shows some great potential on when to call, how often, where to look. Most importantly, he really knew when to take a nap! He had that dialed in!!! smile

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Going to be windy the next two days so I am picking the daughter up from school and we are going to go sit in the same stand. Gotta be back for an orchestra concert. We can make it, unless she shoots one, then I dont know what is going to happen! Dad is going to get in a lot of twouble!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This:

[Linked Image]

Doesn't suck with this in the shop:

[Linked Image]

and the Wild up 5-1 on Winnipeg.

That is all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nice picture. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fluffy
nice picture. grin

The Wild puck tap? Summit goes well with a Wild win. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No,the picture on the wall,behind your friend.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aaaah, that took me a minute.

It is nice, isn't it?

Thanks!

Page 1,549 of 1,842 1 2 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,753
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.