Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
romad97 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

I am in the market for a daypack. I just looked at and tried on the tenzing 2220 and I liked the way it fit and looked. Obviously I have no idea how it packs but it looked like it would be ok. My ideal features are that the pack is small for day use but big enough to possibly carry out some meat from a deer or small hog size animal. I want the ability to cary a rifle on the pack for long hikes. I have searched and read a ton of stuff on this subject on numerous forums. There is just so much info its hard to decide. Other packs I have researched but not seen in person are the eberlestock gunrunner and the x1e. I just dont want to end up with a bigger pack than I need as I intend on purchasing a larger elk hunting pack in the future.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd pass on anything Tenzing or Eberestock and check out a Kifaru Spike Camp or Late Season.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This. I ran the Ebrlestock experiment and hated the two I had purchased.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
And get a gunbearer from Kifaru for the rifle! Nifty piece of kit, IMHO.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use a tenzing 2200 and their 1250. For day hikes and packing backstraps out they work very well. I have a Badlands 2600 that I use for heavier work. I can carry my hunting gear and my big coat in my 2200 until I get settled then pull my heavy coat out and put my light coat in. I have logged an average of 14 miles aday wearing that pack for two weeks straight and it did not bother my shoulders. I have had it for about 3 years now.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
IC B2

I just bought a Stone Glacier Solo pack, and I really like it. It has a load shelf that will haul an elk quarter or a whole boned deer, and still be able to leave the pack bag attached so you don't have to make two trips. It is a cordura bag that I thought might be noisy, but I just hunted the timber in the snow yesterday and was really surprised how quiet it was. It is so much more comfortable than my old Cabela's daypack that it's like night and day. They are a little pricey, but I love the thing. The other thing about the Stone Glacier packs is that you can buy other Stone Glacier Pack bags by themselves and have a completely different pack.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The HPG Ute is worth looking at. I used one as a day pack elk hunting this year. It's got a great belt, great shoulder harness, great compression system, and a simple, durable bag. Colorado company. Built tough as nails. Plenty of room for a day's worth of hunting gear and emergency overnight stuff. An elk hind quarter fits perfectly and carries comfortably. You could probably use the wand pocket on the side to hold your butt stock, or just add a kifaru gun bearer to the belt.

http://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/3/ProductID/10/Default.aspx

Otherwise, as mentioned, it's hard to go wrong with the Kifaru offerings.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Horn hunter full curl system! Does everything and is versatile in all conditions!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Having a HPG Tarahumara delivered today. Not going to be much for weight carry, but I'll report back on how I like it. Mostly for day hunting when I have other options (truck/utv/atv) for getting the animal out.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have that pack as well as the Highlander. The Tara is too small IMO to be really useful as a hunting pack, especially in foul weather. I'd go with the Highlander.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For hunting, I'd actually go with the HPG Umlindi over the Tara or Highlander, especially if you want to bring some meat out. The Ute works great as a daypack as well, and offers more versatility and load carrying ability. Have a Tara, Umlindi, and Ute and really like the Umlindi as a dedicated hunting daypack.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good point on carrying meat. Since OutdoorAg was looking at the Tara, and said he wouldn't be hauling meat, I naturally assumed meat hauling was not an issue.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
CCH, are you going belt or no belt with the umlindi?

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No belt. With a belt, I'd probably just stick with the Ute. However, their new Recon belt would be a good match for the Umlindi.

Smoke, I saw meat carrying in the first post and had that in mind.

Last edited by CCH; 11/17/15.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
This summer I bought an Eberlestock F1 Mainfrme & SuperSpike Duffel. It was really reasonably priced for what you get, and has performed beautifully for me though I'll be the first to admit I use it a lot less than others here.

I like the combination of affordability, versatility, and freight capacity for meat hauling. Very comfortable to boot.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Have the Tara in hand. Will post some pictures, my first take, and a few questions. There are some cord locks and shock cords that I can't figure out. I figure you boys can help.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The shock cords and cord locks on the front of the shoulder straps? They're for holding water bottles. The curvy bicycle kind.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't spend a great deal of money on a day pack. It's just that; a day pack and most hunters/hikers don't buy them for their load lifters, heavy suspensions and other features that are important when carrying a lot of weight. I have a Kifaru Longhunter and an Eberlestock J34 for that purpose.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
+1 on not spending too much on a day pack. Anything can haul your incidentals easy enough. I saved my dough for a meat hauler, actually a couple. I use a Cabela's a bargain barn special for a day pack. I had an early model Eberlestock X1 but it was larger than I needed for a day pack. It wouldn't quite hold a boned out Blacktail- and it sucked with that much weight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outdoorsmans Optic Hunter just pushed my dear old Terraplane to Craigslist. Love the pack, weight stays close to your body. Easy to pop the bag off and use as a hauler or add the Muley as a daypack'ish kind of deal.

Or just slap on a drybag. Nice to be done looking for a pack for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,678
Posts18,493,839
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.