-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No secrets, not everything is cloak and dagger.

Those videos are evidence, so you have to treat them as such. If you seize a murder weapon you don't just leave it out on table at the police station, you lock it up and control who has access to it.

It's not about secrets, it's about protecting the integrity of the case so that defense attorneys don't get the incriminating video thrown out.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a GoPro and it's incredibly easy to manipulate the video once it's downloaded. And everybody knows that, so unless the video is protected it's worthless as evidence.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should be a fairly simple job for a high tec company to develop a secure smart card.

This seems to be the root of a lot of the mistrust between LE and the public today, all the secrecy, and lack of disclosure.

We get to see video that is LE friendly many times within days, then have to wait months or years for others.
Picking and choosing what is available to the public seems to not be such good idea from public servants.

It seems as if the only time video seen soon after the event that portrays LE in a bad light, is taken from an outside source never from within the agency.

I think most folks just want the truth, factions of society perhaps not, because of being agenda driven, but most of us do.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think ALL elected politicians and most non elected govt bureaucrats ought to be required to wear them full time...

I am not ppine, please don't confuse me with him....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would think that except for cases in progress, the majority of footage would be available via a FOI request?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
Should be a fairly simple job for a high tec company to develop a secure smart card.

This seems to be the root of a lot of the mistrust between LE and the public today, all the secrecy, and lack of disclosure.

We get to see video that is LE friendly many times within days, then have to wait months or years for others.
Picking and choosing what is available to the public seems to not be such good idea from public servants.

It seems as if the only time video seen soon after the event that portrays LE in a bad light, is taken from an outside source never from within the agency.

I think most folks just want the truth, factions of society perhaps not, because of being agenda driven, but most of us do.

Sounds like an opportunity for an entrepreneur like yourself. All you have to do is make, and warranty, a functional camera that interfaces with each jurisdictions existing video and storage capacities. Like any large purchase, the price has to be negotiated with the company and government has to go with the lowest bid. We have these (link), which cost about $4k per. Cloud storage is additional and that price is dependent on the amount of space used. If an agency doesn't already have mass video capability, or the storage is physical, the cost is much more.

As far as "secrecy" is concerned, some people believe that their personal desire to know is more important than the right of those involved in a situation to thorough investigation.

http://www.utility.com/perch/resources/generation-2-bodyworn-camera-white-paper.pdf

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I recall there being some opposition to it at first. Anybody still opposed to the use of body cams?

I oppose them simply because they don't do anything but cost everybody more money. Crooked people will always be crooked and the people that think everybody is crooked will always insist the evidence was tampered with.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I would not be surprised to see some forces put unarmed/less than lethal only patrols on the street in the near future.

Those type of patrols already exist in this country. Next time you see badge, and no gun, ask him what he makes a year.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I recall there being some opposition to it at first. Anybody still opposed to the use of body cams?

I oppose them simply because they don't do anything but cost everybody more money. Crooked people will always be crooked and the people that think everybody is crooked will always insist the evidence was tampered with.

Travis

It's evidence. It's why we also have juries and not just TRH.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I would not be surprised to see some forces put unarmed/less than lethal only patrols on the street in the near future.

Those type of patrols already exist in this country. Next time you see badge, and no gun, ask him what he makes a year.

Dave

Is he gonna draw me a picture and say "this much"?

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Travis

It's evidence. It's why we also have juries and not just TRH.

It also comes with privacy issues, not only for the cop wearing it but participants in encounters as well.

It's easy to say we'll just edit those portions out, but then you have the TRH'S and EE'S screaming..."edited video...that's proof they are crooked"...or the camera was turned off, why wasn't it on, it's never on when they do bad things....

I wouldn't have a problem wearing them as long as the agency had a comprehensive policy regarding them

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes. I know it's evidence. The same evidence that would be provided by testimony of honest cops.

And if they're dishonest cops, they're gonna lose it, burn it, manipulate it, etc.

Just more feel good, knee jerk nonsense. Spend more money, insist the problem is solved. Classic political strategy. Places like San Diego even get a quick snap shot of crime (probably 90 fugking days after they bought the damn things) and if it shows what they want to show, they release it. If it doesn't, they don't.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Yep. Moments before he drive his segueway to Sbarro.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is the video stored on the device or uploaded? I would bet it would be easy to design one that is fairly tamper prof.

Even honest cops aren't always objective.

Of course the studies will be skewed to reflect the objective of those funding it. Goes with the territory.

I'd say it goes past knee jerk/feel good and is a solid resource.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Yep. Moments before he drive his segueway to Sbarro.

Travis

I love those guys.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is the video stored on the device or uploaded?

Ours are uploaded immediately. The camera will store about five hours of video physically if no connection is available, but that won't happen in an urban environment. They utilize all WiFi connections, as well as the patrol car to upload.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I posted some things on another thread back in September. I am combining some of those and adding some more comments. Hopefully, this will aid in discussion of the topic.

Body cameras will wind up being great for the police. They can be used to weed out bad apples and they may encourage some to seek employment elsewhere. But, the largest benefit will be an increase in convictions and the reduction in frivolous complaints and lawsuits. But, the people, a/k/a taxpayers, need to understand that it is a lot more expensive than pinning a few hundred dollar body camera on each officer and calling it good. Anybody who thinks that they are getting something for nothing when the grant gods offer them the cameras for free are in for some sticker shock. There also are significant privacy costs to the public.

Body cameras go into a lot of non-public places and will capture a lot of embarrassing images. The police go into people’s bedrooms, bathrooms and closets. The police get involved when something bad happens, so the people involved may be experiencing some of the worst moments of their lives. They may be in various states of undress and/or injured. They may be in the midst of a private indiscretion that is not criminal and really nobody’s business. The cameras are going to get a lot more intimate details than dash cameras in cars parked out on public streets. The dash camera may show the car wreck. The body camera catches the trapped person inside taking his last breaths. (Think of the Idaho rancher or the 6 year old in Louisiana.) Once it is recorded, regardless of the checks built into the system, there is no way to tell where the video ultimately will go.

State public records laws and federal laws such as HIPPA will determine what is a public record and what is required (no discretion) or permitted (discretionary) to be disclosed or what is prohibited from disclosure under applicable law. Most public records laws are not well suited to the digital age. No agency or government should consider body cameras unless it fully understands the public records laws and, in many cases, has them legislatively changed to deal with all the privacy issues involved with body cameras. A number of state legislatures have addressed body camera laws, and changes to public records legislation has been a part of the implementation. Different states have taken different approaches.

One thing most do not realize is that the cost of the cameras themselves is a very tiny cost of implementing a program. There are huge human resource costs to the governments in terms of review, records, storage and legal advice. Ltppowell knows a lot about the hardware and software issues and writes about them, and I won’t address that aspect.

If someone walks in the police station and asks generically for footage from an incident, a records person will have to determine how many were on scene, locate the video(s), review it, redact it, burn it. Who pays for the time or the media? If there are legal issues, mostly involving privacy or public records issues, it may need to be reviewed by counsel for the government before release. When the case goes to trial, the lawyer (assume court appointed here), has a lot of video to review for which the client (the public in the case of court appointed counsel) gets billed. The prosecutor has to review it too. The prosecutor may not get paid more, but you may need more of them. Agencies have that with dash cams as well, but, again, the dash cameras are almost always in a public place (cuts down on public records and privacy issues) and also won't get the most detailed information.

You also may need more police. As front line people involved in recording things, there needs to be an understanding of the public records laws and policy dealing with flagging and preserving. Because there is a need for contemporaneous or end-of-shift cataloguing by officers themselves, the street time of the officers shrinks, which creates potential public safety and/or officer safety issues or runs up the cost of hiring people to replace the lost street time.

The introduction of video cameras also requires the police to become equipment technicians for another piece of technical gear. Instead of just doing the job, they have to do the job and make sure they get it on film. Every technical glitch and every situation not captured results in people arguing that it didn’t happen or that the police conspired to suppress the truth. Thus, add one more thing to the job description.

The cameras also turn police into movie directors. The camera has a perspective that is limited, so a good director tries to capture the most important part for the audience. So, there is a competing interest in getting the best video versus doing the job in a safe and efficient manner. Proper positioning to deal with a situation may be totally different than proper positioning to best CYA or to get the best evidence. Recent officer involved shootings show the difference in perspectives. While the cameras are providing decent before and after video, they often do not capture the exact suspect actions justifying the shot, the actual shot, or impact thereof because the camera is not pointing where the gun is pointing. For example, it will not capture the shot if the camera is mounted in the center of the chest but the shot is taken by an officer who is using cover effectively. You are going to see a wall and get nothing but audio. The naysayers of the world still get their chance to watch the video in their basement a thousand times and say “bad cop.”

Some agencies have thrown cameras on police without considering much of the foregoing. They may look contemporary, but they are just blind. The privacy risks to the public are huge.

Cameras are great for the police. They also are great for gear vendors, and they should provide a lot more employment opportunities within the criminal justice system. That’s all fine. The public wants them and will get the bill. Hopefully, the bill just winds up being money and not a loss of privacy, but I would not hold my breath on the latter.

This post just scratches the surface of issues.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Is the video stored on the device or uploaded?

Got me. All I know is great pains were taken to make sure we all knew how secure and effective dash cams were.

But guess what happened with those? Crooked cops destroyed altered footage, or didn't turn it on, or set their fugking squad car on fire. It's not going to be any different with these things.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great synopsis. Another issue to be addressed is the retention of evidence by people unrelated to the criminal justice system.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I posted some things on another thread back in September. I am combining some of those and adding some more comments. Hopefully, this will aid in discussion of the topic.

Body cameras will wind up being great for the police. They can be used to weed out bad apples and they may encourage some to seek employment elsewhere. But, the largest benefit will be an increase in convictions and the reduction in frivolous complaints and lawsuits. But, the people, a/k/a taxpayers, need to understand that it is a lot more expensive than pinning a few hundred dollar body camera on each officer and calling it good. Anybody who thinks that they are getting something for nothing when the grant gods offer them the cameras for free are in for some sticker shock. There also are significant privacy costs to the public.

Body cameras go into a lot of non-public places and will capture a lot of embarrassing images. The police go into people’s bedrooms, bathrooms and closets. The police get involved when something bad happens, so the people involved may be experiencing some of the worst moments of their lives. They may be in various states of undress and/or injured. They may be in the midst of a private indiscretion that is not criminal and really nobody’s business. The cameras are going to get a lot more intimate details than dash cameras in cars parked out on public streets. The dash camera may show the car wreck. The body camera catches the trapped person inside taking his last breaths. (Think of the Idaho rancher or the 6 year old in Louisiana.) Once it is recorded, regardless of the checks built into the system, there is no way to tell where the video ultimately will go.

State public records laws and federal laws such as HIPPA will determine what is a public record and what is required (no discretion) or permitted (discretionary) to be disclosed or what is prohibited from disclosure under applicable law. Most public records laws are not well suited to the digital age. No agency or government should consider body cameras unless it fully understands the public records laws and, in many cases, has them legislatively changed to deal with all the privacy issues involved with body cameras. A number of state legislatures have addressed body camera laws, and changes to public records legislation has been a part of the implementation. Different states have taken different approaches.

One thing most do not realize is that the cost of the cameras themselves is a very tiny cost of implementing a program. There are huge human resource costs to the governments in terms of review, records, storage and legal advice. Ltppowell knows a lot about the hardware and software issues and writes about them, and I won’t address that aspect.

If someone walks in the police station and asks generically for footage from an incident, a records person will have to determine how many were on scene, locate the video(s), review it, redact it, burn it. Who pays for the time or the media? If there are legal issues, mostly involving privacy or public records issues, it may need to be reviewed by counsel for the government before release. When the case goes to trial, the lawyer (assume court appointed here), has a lot of video to review for which the client (the public in the case of court appointed counsel) gets billed. The prosecutor has to review it too. The prosecutor may not get paid more, but you may need more of them. Agencies have that with dash cams as well, but, again, the dash cameras are almost always in a public place (cuts down on public records and privacy issues) and also won't get the most detailed information.

You also may need more police. As front line people involved in recording things, there needs to be an understanding of the public records laws and policy dealing with flagging and preserving. Because there is a need for contemporaneous or end-of-shift cataloguing by officers themselves, the street time of the officers shrinks, which creates potential public safety and/or officer safety issues or runs up the cost of hiring people to replace the lost street time.

The introduction of video cameras also requires the police to become equipment technicians for another piece of technical gear. Instead of just doing the job, they have to do the job and make sure they get it on film. Every technical glitch and every situation not captured results in people arguing that it didn’t happen or that the police conspired to suppress the truth. Thus, add one more thing to the job description.

The cameras also turn police into movie directors. The camera has a perspective that is limited, so a good director tries to capture the most important part for the audience. So, there is a competing interest in getting the best video versus doing the job in a safe and efficient manner. Proper positioning to deal with a situation may be totally different than proper positioning to best CYA or to get the best evidence. Recent officer involved shootings show the difference in perspectives. While the cameras are providing decent before and after video, they often do not capture the exact suspect actions justifying the shot, the actual shot, or impact thereof because the camera is not pointing where the gun is pointing. For example, it will not capture the shot if the camera is mounted in the center of the chest but the shot is taken by an officer who is using cover effectively. You are going to see a wall and get nothing but audio. The naysayers of the world still get their chance to watch the video in their basement a thousand times and say “bad cop.”

Some agencies have thrown cameras on police without considering much of the foregoing. They may look contemporary, but they are just blind. The privacy risks to the public are huge.

Cameras are great for the police. They also are great for gear vendors, and they should provide a lot more employment opportunities within the criminal justice system. That’s all fine. The public wants them and will get the bill. Hopefully, the bill just winds up being money and not a loss of privacy, but I would not hold my breath on the latter.

This post just scratches the surface of issues.

This post will be skipped by 90% (estimate) of the people that comment on this thread.

Dave

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (2500HD, 5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 29 invisible), 2,014 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,480
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.