-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The little screw found on the side of the breach that aids in cleaning the flash hole channel has become troublesome. I would like to replace it but have no idea of the size of the threads in the hole and how long I should make my replacement. I hate that little screw and would like to upgrade to something more useful with a bigger head and made out of something tougher.

Does anybody know where to find such a screw? Do you know what size and thread the thing is?

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'll probably want a screw checker, such as this one from Brownells to find out screw type.

After you've got that bit sorted, you can go in search of a screw.

That said, I use hot soapy water with the nipple taken out and it cleans the channel out perfectly on my percussion rifles.

Last edited by kciH; 11/09/15.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have 5 of those, and every one has the screw seized. I never really had a reason to use it. A pipe cleaner goes into the channel just fine. If I was to replace one, I would just drill out the old one, so it would not matter what the heck the thread was. I am sure it is metric. Looks like 3mm, not sure of the thread pitch. If I remember right, it was maybe 3 - 4 mm long. I would go with an allen socket head, but again, I think it is just not needed.

Last edited by benchman; 11/09/15.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
The little screw found on the side of the breach that aids in cleaning the flash hole channel has become troublesome.

It's troublesome because you probably aren't lubing the threads. I hold the top and bottom of that little screw with a pair of needle-nose pliers and apply this below to the threads. I even use this lube on my nipple threads.

(link) Choke Tube Lube

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I replace the clean out screw on all of my sidelocks with 1/4" long 10-32 socket head set screws. If the threads in the breech plug are not already 10-32, I drill them out with a #21 drill bit and re-thread the hole with a 10-32 tap. It's an easy job. And being able to use an Allen wrench to remove the set screw is a whole lot better than monkeying with those slot head screws.

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
The little screw found on the side of the breach that aids in cleaning the flash hole channel has become troublesome.

It's troublesome because you probably aren't lubing the threads. I hold the top and bottom of that little screw with a pair of needle-nose pliers and apply this below to the threads. I even use this lube on my nipple threads.

(link) Choke Tube Lube

I'll second that, it works better than the stuff advertised for breech plugs. I learned that after relying on gorilla grease and needing to use way too much wrench to get out a breech plug.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by benchman
I have 5 of those, and every one has the screw seized. I never really had a reason to use it. A pipe cleaner goes into the channel just fine. If I was to replace one, I would just drill out the old one, so it would not matter what the heck the thread was. I am sure it is metric. Looks like 3mm, not sure of the thread pitch. If I remember right, it was maybe 3 - 4 mm long. I would go with an allen socket head, but again, I think it is just not needed.

Well I have been not using it for a couple of years now and been doing fine. I just thought I would clean it up. Thanks for the heads up on it being metric, that will help with finding a compatible screw.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Semisane
I replace the clean out screw on all of my sidelocks with 1/4" long 10-32 socket head set screws. If the threads in the breech plug are not already 10-32, I drill them out with a #21 drill bit and re-thread the hole with a 10-32 tap. It's an easy job. And being able to use an Allen wrench to remove the set screw is a whole lot better than monkeying with those slot head screws.

Well this is a great idea, thanks

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1minute, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,913
Posts18,498,304
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.