Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jayph Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I have always had a lot of semi custom rifles but have never gone all the way. I have decided that it's time and it will be a large investment thanks to the poor dollar so I just want some third party opinions to maybe catch a mistake.

First my current rifle.
Remington 700 bdl Varmint 25-06 (from the 70's)
Tac ops bolt knob (it gets cold here with big mitts)
Cerakote metal (factory blueing was getting worn a few years ago)
HS precision DBM (the flush fitting mag doesn't work well)
McMillan Remington Varmint mcswirly standard fill
Leupold VX3 long range 4.5-14x40mm
Timeny 510 set at 2.5lbs
Balance point is right in front of the front action screw (perfect)
Weight ready to go with sling ect and no ammo is 10.7 lbs

Build Sheet
Defiance Deviant Hunter action tactical knob standard fluting
B.A.D. Detachable bottom metal (the flush fitting mags don't work well with huge gloves)(also like the fact that it doesn't have any large levers hanging down to snag stuff)
Timeny Trigger (love the wide shoe and the one I have works great)
Manners EH-5a with atlas rail LRI cheek piece and two flush cups (hoping that the heavier fill in the butt and the adjustable cheek piece will help with the balance of the larger barrel contour)
Metal work will be cerakoted
Will be chambered in 6.5 creed moor
24" barrel

The only problem I have come to is the barrel. I had my heart set on a proof research to keep the weight down and keep the large contour that i love. Problem is the first two smiths I approached won't honour there accuracy guarantee with proof research barrels and It's a $1400 cost for the barrel after I convert the funds. So I have been looking at a bartlein barrel instead to save money. I don't want to go above the 10.7 lbs I have now infact I was hoping to come in lighter but that is looking like it's not an option so I would be happy with 8.5lbs for the bare gun but I think I am 6.5lbs without a barrel so likely will go over by a bit. I was thinking a good compromise for weight and size is the 3b or 4 fluted.

I know this might be a bit different than most of the builds here but the DBM is a must and so is the tactical knob. I have hunted in -59* F and fumbling with a tiny bolt knob and single cartridges with ADL bottom metal with huge gloves just doesnt work any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

edit: Obviously -59 is an extreme not the norm but very cold is normal most years and I have found over many attempts what I like in a rifle so I think it's time to go ahead with the build.

Last edited by Jayph; 11/12/15.

If Iam not hunting, Iam thinking about hunting.
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Bartlien is the way I would roll and fluting will help some but I think your in for a robust build, but as long as you go into it knowing it will be fairly heavy , I say build it and have fun!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Switch out a couple components starting with a #3 Bartlien and a Mcmillam Classic will get you right around 8- 8.5lbs minus scope and rings....just another option!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Have you considered a Gaillard barrel, might be a shorter lead time and he is a well respected Saskatchewan barrel maker to boot!

J
Jayph Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Have you considered a Gaillard barrel, might be a shorter lead time and he is a well respected Saskatchewan barrel maker to boot!

My rifle is being built in the states then imported.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Gotcha!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
6.5creed on a long action? Might consider .260 or 6.5x55 so you can seat bullets out there. The 3b fluted sounds like a nice barrel. It should seem light if you are used to the varmint contour.

J
Jayph Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Wrangler13
6.5creed on a long action? Might consider .260 or 6.5x55 so you can seat bullets out there. The 3b fluted sounds like a nice barrel. It should seem light if you are used to the varmint contour.

???? The deviant action would be short action I assumed that would transfer with cartridge choice but I guess I never posted what length

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Lots of carbon barrel makers these days...maybe pick a different carbon barrel that your smith will honor an accuracy guarantee with or maybe find a smith that works with carbon barrels regularly???

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I believe Defiance and Proof Research are owned by the same group and work well together. You could try to order a barreled action direct from Proof and then have your smith finish the build.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jayph

Build Sheet
Defiance Deviant Hunter action tactical knob standard fluting
Not a thing wrong with that action I have 4 of them.Just as a thought.The PTG M700 with a 3 pos safe.Its a 700 done right for hundreds less

B.A.D. Detachable bottom metal (the flush fitting mags don't work well with huge gloves)(also like the fact that it doesn't have any large levers hanging down to snag stuff)
Not a thing wrong with DBMs as long as they work.I have hunted all over Alberta and Sask running a M700 BDLs.Simple push a button and drop them in your hand...

Timeny Trigger (love the wide shoe and the one I have works great)
Yes.Rifle Basic and Timeny.I dont care for 3 lever triggers on hunting rifles.

Manners EH-5a with atlas rail LRI cheek piece and two flush cups (hoping that the heavier fill in the butt and the adjustable cheek piece will help with the balance of the larger barrel contour)
Manners makes nice stuff but I'd skip it and get a edge fill Mcmillian that fits you.Skip the cheek piece.

Metal work will be cerakoted
cerakoted is fine.Ive had excellent luck with Duracoat as well.

Will be chambered in 6.5 creed moor
I'd skip on the moor.In 6.5 the 6.5/284 is the beesknees.I shoot 1000 BR all summer against about 150 other guys.I've never seen one on the line.Just sayen...

24" barrel
i'd skip the carbon bigtime.
Mark Chanlynn no 3 flute it if you like ..Thank me later.

If I lived in SasK there is only one scope I'd have on top of my rifle . A 3-12x42 S&B with a TDS reticle.
Enjoy your build and be sure to post pics when you get it done.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sorry didn't read carefully thought you were re using the Rem 700 action. The deviant will kick azz!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
#3 Bartlein in a Classic or Game Scout will do what you want.

FWIW, I tried one of the BAD metals and absolutely hated it more than I can describe. There is no lever hanging down to snag on things when you use a CDI, Badger, etc. because the mag itself serves as a guard to protect it.

RLTW

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (260Remguy, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 257Bob, 51 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,594
Posts18,511,235
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.