Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a Hawkeye 7-08 all weather that I really like, does anybody know how much weight I would save by changing the stock to a McMillan Edge?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
couple ounces

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
None, and it'll probably be heavier. McMillan doesn't offer one of their lightweight Edge stocks for the Ruger. A standard weight McMIllan is about 2 oz heavier last time I weighed. If they offered the Edge, it would save 6-8 oz.

I forget which company, but there is only 1 option out there for the Hawkeye that is actually lighter than factory. I want to say MPI or Manners, but can't recall for sure.

Personally the Hawkeye has one of the better factory synthetics. It isn't worth the effort to change it. You'll spend several hundred $$$$ and at best be making a lateral move. Most of the other synthetics made for Rugers are a downgrade.

Last edited by JMR40; 11/14/15.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If you want to go LW for a hawkeye, I think MPI is the best bet. I could look up the specifics, but I think my stock is around 23oz. Its a well made stock, but I don't think that they are as "drop in" as a McMillan. Mine was fit by Rick Stienhour of extreme rifle works and did the fitting, bedding, painting etc for around $600. He has a couple of different patterns that work for the Rugers.

If you starting out from scratch and want a LW, there are lots of better places to start than a Ruger ( me I would start with an off the shelf Montana), but I have quite a few Ruger MKII/ Hawkeyes and its nice that my LW 358, is just the same as nearly every other hunting rifle I own in terms of action, safety etc. With a barrel of modest profile, a LW scope and the MPI stock my 358 is right at 6lbs. I have thought a little about building a similar one in 7mmSAUM.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Would an older Ruger boat paddle style stock be lighter?

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for the input. I really like the rifle it just seems heavier than necessary. I had no idea what the factory stock weighed.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
McMillan does offer an Edge fill stock now but they apparently have to reinforce the angled action screw area with fiberglass so it's not as light as the regular Edge stocks. This was per someone at McMillan a few days ago as I'm half considering ordering a McMillan for my Hawkeye.

Last edited by False_Cast; 11/14/15.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by False_Cast
McMillan does offer an Edge fill stock now but they apparently have to reinforce the angled action screw area with fiberglass so it's not as light as the regular Edge stocks. This was per someone at McMillan a few days ago as I'm half considering ordering a McMillan for my Hawkeye.

Good to know. Also, glad to see you ended up keeping that Hawkeye.
That thing will grow on you like a fungus! Love all 3 of mine.

John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ScottnSA - if your 7mm-08's stock is like my .338 Federal HE/AW it indeed is stouter and heavier than the current trend of the 'not quite' tupperware variety stocks. I like it. Now, if Ruger could improve on the factory recoil bricks (non RAR) that would be nice too. Homesteader

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1badf350, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 160user, 204guy, 59 invisible), 11,137 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,244
Posts18,544,328
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.