-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you restocked a Ruger 77 tang safety, what aftermarket stock did you go with?

Thanks
Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
rondoak;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this finds you and yours well.

This is actually the third stock on this particular rifle, the second being one of the early Ramline wood grain look models, which I truly didn't get along with. It's made from a reshaped Richard's Microfit blank.

[Linked Image]

I believe it was Claro walnut as it's quite light compared to many other walnut stocks I've played with.

As this was several years ago - like maybe 20 - I can't say if Richard's inletting has improved... they were not always fantastic back then.

If I was looking to put a synthetic on a Ruger, I'd try one of Stuart's Wildcat Composites models.

[Linked Image]
http://wildcatcomposites.com/ruger.html

Please note they do require bedding and finishing, but the two I've done were extremely stiff, reasonably priced and weighed what Stuart said they would.

Hopefully that was useful for you or someone this morning sir. Good luck on your stock whichever way you decide and all the best to you folks.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I got a Boyds laminated. Makes the gun heavier than the original stock but it tames down the 358 Win. Other than a minor floor plate issue it is nice for the money. Not a fan of plastic.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I put a BC thumbhole on mine a few years ago. Not many choices out there for a Ruger tang safety unfortunately.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the info, Dwayne, I will take it under consideration.

All the best.

Wayne

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
I got a Boyds laminated. Makes the gun heavier than the original stock but it tames down the 358 Win. Other than a minor floor plate issue it is nice for the money. Not a fan of plastic.

Did you have to do any other inletting adjustment?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by adam32
I put a BC thumbhole on mine a few years ago. Not many choices out there for a Ruger tang safety unfortunately.

Yeh, I am finding that out.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Look at HIGH TECH SPECIALTIES

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There's always the McMillan 77R (or Ruger R). No weight savings to speak of but a well made stock.
There was something in another thread earlier today about McMillan offering a MKII-Hawkeye stock in Edge with a fiberglass reinforcement around the angled action screw. Seems like if they can inlet that one for a MKII-Hawkeye, they can inlet it for a tang safety.
Probably worth checking out.

John

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Look at HIGH TECH SPECIALTIES

Looked at them - thanks

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by john843
There's always the McMillan 77R (or Ruger R). No weight savings to speak of but a well made stock.
There was something in another thread earlier today about McMillan offering a MKII-Hawkeye stock in Edge with a fiberglass reinforcement around the angled action screw. Seems like if they can inlet that one for a MKII-Hawkeye, they can inlet it for a tang safety.
Probably worth checking out.

John

Considered the Ruger R, but the cost would be more than what I have invested in the gun and scope.

Thanks

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by Dogslife57

Did you have to do any other inletting adjustment?

I did nothing to it and once I tightened the screws a little more it seemed to be good but I might do a little tinkering with it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why not a Brown Precision blank?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've had mixed results with B&C stocks on tang Rugers. One is OK, the other is dimensionally off vertically- the action sits so low in the stock that the tip of the trigger hits the trigger guard, the floorplate has a 3/32 gap to the stock. I may try to glass bed the action to make the action sit higher in the stock. For now, one M77R is back in its original walnut.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Found a Bell and Carlson Carbelite.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I struggled with this same question awhile back. I eventually decided to leave my prized old tanger right where it has been serving faithfully for the last 30 some years in the wood stock. I might be tempted to purchase a Mc Millan if it was the right deal just in the event something happened to the wood stock. Because of the age of the tangers I worry a bit that they someday stop making stocks for them.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by roundoak
If you restocked a Ruger 77 tang safety, what aftermarket stock did you go with?

Thanks
Wayne

If you provided a budget the replies would have been short.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Cag Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Ruger M77 in 300 Win Mag with the tang safety and I had originally bought a Boyds semi inletted laminated stock which was the only one they made at the time and never got around to install it, and then Boyds started making a fully inletted drop in laminated stock and I bought one and love it. Got it with the one inch recoil pad and shoots great!.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

729 members (12344mag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 86 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,728
Posts18,494,807
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.