Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Carry a Star PD 45, shooting 200gr Hornady XTP's. Couple extra mags, and I've got 19 rounds with me. carried a S&W 915 for a while. Much prefer the Star

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not 16-18 rounds without having to change the mag?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for some the .40 is nor good enough

for others the 9mm is not good enough

for others the .380 is too little

I don't want to get shot with any of them.

.4? something was always the grail for me if needing a handgun around

but the faster follow up shots possible with a 9mm certainly seems worthy of consideration.

funny how the CW has changed as society has changed, ergo more group violence whether from flash mobs or terrorists.

mouse guns with concealability was all the rage the last several years.

but it seems hi cap is makin a comeback. and I can see some merit to that.

when chit gets real, just having to squeeze the trigger and put a front sight on what's threatening you would seem to be enough of a job, sans worrying about mag exchanges.

I'm pretty partial to mom's lil Glock 29 I got her for berry picking, not too obtrusive and the lil gun has some firepower available.

a guy could do worse

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Hillary once said. "What difference does it make?"
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll tell you what, sometimes it's nice to be able to have your hand on a gun and nobody know it. A NAA .22 Mag can be very comforting.

I'm no expert at CCW, usually I leave the big guns in the car. Just sayin'.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The individual carrying is not likely to get into a need for high capacity like a lawman will. They add a lot of weight. One or two shots will resolve most situations, so make them count. The sectional density of a 45 is hard to beat.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by bowmanh
All the recent data says there is little difference in effectiveness between 9mm, .40 and .45 as long as good bullets are used. So it's really personal preference. Some even like .380 although that's getting a bit light for me. But as many have said, it doesn't matter what caliber your handgun is if you don't have it when you need it. I used to carry a .40 mostly and sometimes a .45, but have now moved to a 9mm Glock 19 or 26 because I shoot them a little better and capacity is a bit more for the size. Plus I shoot a 9mm Glock in competition so I'm used to the way it feels. I carry a Glock 36 .45 out in the mountains because it has more power/penetration for large animals. In the end it's all personal preference.

No down side to higher capacity and that goes to the 9.

not so much, with a 14round springfield xd or a glock 21 or 20

there are 9's that hold more

i realize that but another way of looking at it:
14 rounds 230 grains is 3220
17 rounds of 124 gr. is 2417
guys alway say it isn't the size that matters it's the technique.
girls say that is not true.

Very true, I hear from the gals that larger hurts more. And no desire for that

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by fluffy
I guess its a question of what more do you want,concealment,or stopping power? right now,leaning towards......the 45.
interested in what ya'll carrying?

Originally Posted by goalie
Whatever you can shoot that holds enough to keep you happy.

Originally Posted by BarryC
The best caliber is the caliber of the gun that you didn't leave at home.

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
The most useless handgun in the world is the one not on you.

Throw these into your own personal blender, and you'll arrive at the best answer for you. Rest assured, you will be corrected for choosing it, and mocked, and lambasted, and ridiculed. But then again, nobody else has to carry or shoot it, now do they? wink

If, by some chance, you still have a flying [intercourse's] worth of interest in my own tastes, I suppose my decision making starts with:

1) Do I have reasonable faith in the cartridge to provide quick incapacitation? [Rules out cartridges < .38 Spl, to my twisted way of thinking]

2) Can I reliably put multiple rounds on-target with this cartridge, reasonably quickly, regardless of what package it comes in? [Rules out .40 S&W and 10mm, in my case]

After that, it all goes to hell. I have to weigh out...
* How many rounds do I want to carry?
* How many in the gun, and how many reloads?
* How/where will I carry the reloads?
* How much weight am I willing to carry? [gun, ammo, and reloads]
* Am I willing to sacrifice shooting efficacy or comfort to have something more concealable? [Maybe so, if it's so hot out as to be inhumane: a J-frame in one's pocket trumps a M&P left on the nightstand. However, probably not if it means carrying virtually any Kahr: those pistols hate my hands.]
* Am I willing to adjust my clothing choices to carry something less concealable? [If I feel I need to carry a .45, it's aint gonna be a flyweight: I'll need to cover that bad boy.]

Once you come up with what you decide is gonna work for you, practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more.

And carry your selection with you whenever & wherever it's not prohibited by law.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
The individual carrying is not likely to get into a need for high capacity like a lawman will. They add a lot of weight. One or two shots will resolve most situations, so make them count. The sectional density of a 45 is hard to beat.

Actually, the sectional density of a 147 grain 9mm is .167 and the sectional density of a 230 grain .45 is .162. The .45 will make a larger diameter hole though.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought a M&P 45 compact for this purpose, but it's a bit bulkier than I like. Anymore, it's typically on the nightstand or in the truck. Now I'm considering a M&P Shield 9mm...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGray
I bought a M&P 45 compact for this purpose, but it's a bit bulkier than I like. Anymore, it's typically on the nightstand or in the truck. Now I'm considering a M&P Shield 9mm...

Good choice, that's the wife's carry. Get the model without the un-necessary safety.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Fluffy: I prefer the high capacity magazined Glock Models 22 and 23 with night sights - these models are in 40 S&W caliber.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Idared
Originally Posted by BarryC
The best caliber is the caliber of the gun that you didn't leave at home.

Which always seems to be a Glock 23 in 40 S&W for me.

Me too, but I'm a professional. No need to muddy the water.

23 for me as well.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
The Army and Marine guys coming back from combat in the middle east said the enemy could definitely tell the difference between being hit by a 9mm and a .45ACP.
Because they have to use FMJ.

45 230 XTP compared to 10mm 180 XTP obvious which which and a 9mm is even smaller diameter

[Linked Image]

Gee who would have ever guessed a .45 expands?

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by jimmyp
the .40 is stupid, always has been from the beginning. 9mm or .45ACP. If you want a .40 get a 10mm.

This ^^^^

XDs .45, Kahr CW9

Idiots. ^^^^^

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by NVhntr
The 10mm short (.40 S&W) came about because there were whimps and girls in the FBI that couldn't handle the 10mm.

I don't think you could tell the difference if I shot you with a 147gr. 9mm or. 155gr. .40.

So diameter doesn't matter and here I was getting all worked up over meplat... crazy

Apparently 200-300 FPS doesn't matter, either. crazy

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still believe in the old saying. A 9 m/m may expand but a 45 want shrink. That being said I carry a Sig 938. It's easy to hide in shorts . Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fluffy
I guess its a question of what more do you want,concealment,or stopping power? right now,leaning towards......the 45.

I like my HK USP Compact .40 in a Milt Sparks VMII; that works for me I don't know what will work for you.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
(sic)

I dont' know of anyone that can't handle a 45 with enough shooting, and if you ain't shooting, you shouldn't be carrying anyway IMHO.

That bears repeating.

I used to be fairly competent with a handgun, but IMHO unless you are practicing weekly you cannot be even close to the top of your game. Ideally you should have a daily dry fire routine and live fire at least once a week.

From what I've seen at the range, the difference between a practiced handgun shot is minute of Akbar at 50 yds. vs. minute of Akbar at 10 yds. And that's on paper. If you really put the time in and the handgun is reasonably accurate you should be able to keep your shots on a B27 at 100 yds.

The 40 just doesn't appeal to me, I'm in the 9mm, 38sp or 45 acp camp depending on the platform.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've never seen a single document, study or test showing 45 to be significantly better than 9mm. This goes back at least 70 years. The military did a lot of testing in 1946 after WW-2 and concluded then that 9mm was equal to 45 as a man stopper and was far superior at barrier penetration. They wanted to make the swap in 1946, but there was no demand to purchase any handgun at the time.

Most of the 45 legend is due to the fictional writings of Jeff Cooper after the war. Most of the soldiers in both WW-1 and WW-2 did not care for the 1911 nor the 45. Cooper was the PT Barnum of firearms and some still believe the legend rather than the facts.

Today with the best loads 9mm will match 357 mag from 4" or shorter barrels and with 125 gr bullets. The 40 S&W will match 357 mag from 4" or shorter barrels and heavier 155-180 gr bullets. Both are about the equal of 45 with less recoil and at least 2X more ammo capacity.

Deciding between 9mm and 40 S&W really comes down to ammo capacity, recoil and whether you trust 125 gr bullets or want 155-180 gr bullets. I can't see where 45 brings any advantages to the table.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

203 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 160user, 338rcm, 300Sav, 24 invisible), 1,681 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,979
Posts18,499,578
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.