-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,554 of 1,842 1 2 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1841 1842
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For several years I called the shool's attendance line to let them know my son was suffering from a severe case of Buck Fever and should be much better by Wednesday.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
He missed 2 days for the MN opener. He's a smart kid, but not smart enough to miss 10 days in a month. grin

Although his homework was to bring in venison jerky. grin

Last edited by tzone; 11/18/15.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by gophergunner
When I was 10 years old, my Mom called the school and told them I wouldn't be coming in for three days because deer season was starting. She got a return call from my teacher telling her the principal had talked to her and told her she had to call us to let us know this would not be tolerated, and I'd be suspended 2 days for every day I missed. Dad got home from work that night, heard what had been said and went in to the school the next morning for a little "Come to Jesus" with the principal, the assistant principal, the teacher, and I'm sure anyone else he could extract a pound of flesh from. There was no suspension, and just to spite them he kept me up at camp for the entire week.

Hell yes!

Something clever here.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
For several years I called the shool's attendance line to let them know my son was suffering from a severe case of Buck Fever and should be much better by Wednesday.

I think I'm starting to get that "Buck Fever" too. Might take clear to December to get over it.

Support your local brewer.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good shootin" Weezy!!

When I was in 10th grade my mom said I could stay the whole 2 weeks at deer camp with my 80 year old grandpa. It was just the 2 of us with grandma making breakfast at 4am each morning and packing our lunches. We came home to a warm dinner and a pepsi & whiskey...I was 6 years from legal drinking age yet. I'll never forget it as long as I live.

My chemistry teacher tried to fail me when I got back, but couldn't when I aced the final. My geography teacher gave me an A when a I gave him a stick of venison summer sausage. A good man, that guy.

I learned more those 2 weeks hunting with gramps than I ever did in all of 10th grade - not all of it fit to print! I sure miss him.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Report from No Chance Hunt Club-

Very quiet opening morning - especially for State land. Your scribe was in his ladderstand at 0600. He noticed right off the bat that he was facing the wrong way, even though his face was in the wind. At 0750 a noise in the leaves was heard over his shoulder on his weak (left) side. He turned to see the biggest buck he's seen in a few decades moving at a trot. Range, 20 yards. Scribe then tries to get his rifle up and around while trying to stand up, throws the scope up and gets off two shots faster than it took to read this sentence. Scribe's brother later says he knew it was me and 2 misses after hearing the shots go fast fast in succession. Handsy, kneesy for 2 hours looking for blood or hair. Nothing. Dejected.

Same stand day 2. Nothing. Still festering over snap shot miss. Thinking of ways to get back at brother. Turned stand 180*.

Day 3. Still bummed. Sleep in to 0700. Too warm for hunting clothes. Put on jeans and BO shirt and vest. On stand at 0800. Very windy. Tree moving 8". Getting woozy. See movement to my right - same path as Mr. Big. Doe, but she's looking backwards. Encouraging. Hear some grunting, see more movement, get the scope on it, buck - but not Mr. Big. Have to leave for home in 2 hours. Find the crease and squeeze. Bang, flop. 4pt. Not big, but he'll eat. Went old school with Win. Model 100 .308 with 180 gr. Fed Fusions.

Postscript:

Pickled delicacies had their desired effect on the camp. However, emergency run to convenience store for Immodium the night before opener was in order.

Kuerig was kinda nice.

Catered food was awesome. Cheap too. $8 for prime rib and the fixins'. Chef is the nephew of camp old guy. I think that's going to happen again.

Skinny jeans guy rifle was sighted in by another camp member. When SJG got into his blind, he found that 30-06 shells don't fit into...wait for it...a 270! Somebody didn't have bullets for the 1st 2 hours of the season. Glad they're lifelong friends.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

I learned more those 2 weeks hunting with gramps than I ever did in all of 10th grade - not all of it fit to print! I sure miss him.

You f'n a right you did.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well I'm a truly blessed man. I get two opening days this year. I'm at least as pumped for round 2 as I was the first time around. I'm more prepared for this one, as long as I don't forget anything.

But since almost everyting is ready, I find myself wide awake at 0100 listening to the wind blow through the trees and the mouse traps snapping the little necks on the bastards that are eating my crackers. grin He even kicked a few times like a high shoulder shot deer.

If I was living here by myself, since I can see from the upper level into the kitchen, I'd set up shop on the upper level with the daisy 760 pump BB gun and bait those suckers out into the open and let the copper fly!

Whooo loo loo loo loo loo

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
May the Red Gods smile down upon you in Cheezeland, buddy. Hope you have a great hunt.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good shootin" Weezy!!

When I was in 10th grade my mom said I could stay the whole 2 weeks at deer camp with my 80 year old grandpa. It was just the 2 of us with grandma making breakfast at 4am each morning and packing our lunches. We came home to a warm dinner and a pepsi & whiskey...I was 6 years from legal drinking age yet. I'll never forget it as long as I live.

My chemistry teacher tried to fail me when I got back, but couldn't when I aced the final. My geography teacher gave me an A when a I gave him a stick of venison summer sausage. A good man, that guy.

GREAT story, CFT. I never got to hunt with either of my Grandpas as I was the second youngest of the second youngest on both sides of the family, which meant that both grandpas were just too old and I was too young for that to happen. I think the hunting camp experience is one of the greatest things a person can experience afield and I'd give nearly anything to have been able to have an experience like that.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good Luck Tzone!! have a great weekend!

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Pssssst, it's winter.

Time to hunt deers.

(we finally have freezing temps and snow)

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hows the road going to be Dave? When are you heading to camp?

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was 10 years old, my Mom called the school and told them I wouldn't be coming in for three days because deer season was starting. She got a return call from my teacher telling her the principal had talked to her and told her she had to call us to let us know this would not be tolerated, and I'd be suspended 2 days for every day I missed. Dad got home from work that night, heard what had been said and went in to the school the next morning for a little "Come to Jesus" with the principal, the assistant principal, the teacher, and I'm sure anyone else he could extract a pound of flesh from. There was no suspension, and just to spite them he kept me up at camp for the entire week.

grin

Awesome story.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good shootin" Weezy!!

Yeah, this is the STUFF that makes it special !

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
May the Red Gods smile down upon you in Cheezeland, buddy. Hope you have a great hunt.

+1

Good luck, Tom & Noah.

Make some memories.

& some meat !

Paul.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There might be some beer and Jim beam present as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Pssssst, it's winter.

Time to hunt deers.

(we finally have freezing temps and snow)

You gots that right !

Hoping & praying for a great weekend for everybody.

Roads were slickeren snot here this morning & I nearly needed a pry bar to get into my truck ! Rain turned to ice/freezing rain & then snow last night.

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone
There might be some beer and Jim beam present as well.

grin

Paul.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by BuschPilot
Hows the road going to be Dave? When are you heading to camp?

The camp road is terrible, but it will be frozen hard so it should not be a problem navigating past, through and around last weeks muddy tire ruts.

Something clever here.

Page 1,554 of 1,842 1 2 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.