Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes I am

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am sort of still working in the field. Got a BS in mechanical engineering. Got a job in a large manufacturing company designing new products. Worked my up to engineering manager. Went back to school and got a MBA. I have been at the same company 20 years now and I now manage multiple product lines for profit/loss, engineering, market, etc, all aspects. So no longer pure engineering, but it's still in the mix.

Get a degree in a hard science or math and you will be fine assuming you can communicate just a little bit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B.A Mus 1962 Yes, for a while until
M.Mus. 1970 and continued in that endeavor.
Ph.D 1970 and doing it ever since, but much less of it now - gettin' old.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My undergraduate degree is in Business Administration; my Masters is in Economics. I spent 10 years Economic analysis; 22 years in technical Engineering Program Management and approximately 10 years in Business Development, retiring at 72.

I've been fortunate to have had a number of greatly satisfying jobs since graduating.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Though I've always wanted to be a math teacher.

I always wanted to teach physics, but I don't understand all that junk in the books...

Humm... Similar thing here.

I've always wanted to be a Medical Doctor and practice surgery,
but, I couldn't differentiate the shinbone from the knee bone! smile smile

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I got a degree in petroleum engineering. I didn't have much fun in college, but I graduated and got a great job and I have a lot of fun now without being on a college budget. I am a petroleum engineer so I do work In the field I studied. I don't know what else I would study...maybe metallurgical or aerospace engineering. Honestly love what I do.

I tell my younger cousins who just got out of the marine corps that a college degree is worthless if it doesn't differentiate you and that they'd be better off learning to be a plumber or electrician and saving their money than getting 90% of the college degrees offered now (and the associated cost/debt).

They didn't like the sound of that and liked the idea of easier majors than engineering or accounting or con-sci, etc. I asked them if they would rather have fun while poor or have fun when they make good money, because it's hard to do both. But they're starting to listen...

My sister, on the other hand, will be a student for a while. Her major is one where the goal is to be a college professor to teach other kids worthless information and eventually how to be a professor to teach more kids worthless information. Hers is the type of major I don't understand. It's worthless unless you find more idiots to justify your existence by convincing them they need to find more idiots to justify theirs. A Ponzi scheme really.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Though I've always wanted to be a math teacher.

I always wanted to teach physics, but I don't understand all that junk in the books...

Humm... Similar thing here.

I've always wanted to be a Medical Doctor and practice surgery,
but, I couldn't differentiate the shinbone from the knee bone! smile smile

Unlike you two eggs, I do get all that junk in the books. When I needed a 'filler' class in college I always took a math class, it was a guaranteed 'A' and I LOVE math.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I ate up math as well. Some of my 4th year electives were graduate level calculus courses, "Perturbations" being most memorable. Taught by a Cal Tech PhD that I had for many calculus courses. He was brilliant and is still teaching.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Petro
Her major is one where the goal is to be a college professor to teach other kids worthless information and eventually how to be a professor to teach more kids worthless information. ... It's worthless unless you find more idiots to justify your existence by convincing them they need to find more idiots to justify theirs. A Ponzi scheme really.

Lemme guess: does the title of the degree involve the word, "Studies"?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My BS is in math. Carried over well to the MS in Biomechanics and MS in Computer Science. If you have strong math skills, the ability to communicate well, and a degree in a technical/engineering field you'll never lack for a job.

IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,484
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.