Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I had my annual check with my Urologist last week. He said my PSA blood count had moved up enough since last year, that he thought it warranted a biopsy of my prostate to check for cancer. Anyone here ever been through it? He explained the procedure, but I think they always try to make it sound rosier than it actually is. Just looking for comments from those that have been through it. I worked with a guy several years ago, that went through it. He said it was painful. Maybe techniques have changed since then?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just had one done on the 12th of this month, go see him Wednesday for the results. Wasn't painful, they numb the prostrate now. From what I collected from the Doctor he sad they didn't numb it years ago. I had minimal pain and discomfort, very little bleeding. This is the second one for me in two years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I only would say to get a good opinion on the PSA number issue - most docs go by the degree/rapidity of upward change over time - not by any single test number. Have never had a biopsy, so no info there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a friend that had that done last year. Besides the pain, he bled for several days afterwords. Not a fun thing as I understand it.
Best of luck.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I went through that ordeal twice. First time no deadening and that HURT! Did it again about three weeks later but this time with my regular urologist and he gave me a couple of shots. Not bad that time and the test came out bad enough that Dr removed my prostate gland. Took a long time to heal up from that.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Yeah, he said my first test, several years ago, the number was below 1. I think it was .9. Steadily rose over the last several years. This year's test read 3.14, up from 2.8 last year. I was thinking a huge spike in numbers would have warranted the test, not such a slight one. Maybe he's just being overly cautious.

R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've had 3 of them. Can't say they are painful, but when the needle fires off, it makes a sound that makes me flinch. About 6-7 hours after the first one I couldn't pee and had to go to to the ER and get a catheter put in for a week. the other two were no problems. Had robotic, radical surgery in January of this year...so far so good.

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tommyd53
I worked with a guy several years ago, that went through it. He said it was painful. Maybe techniques have changed since then?

I've watched more than a couple of friends and family die from cancer and will guarantee you the test will hurt a hell of a lot less than dying from cancer.

I pray things work out well for you.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ron
I've had 3 of them. Can't say they are painful, but when the needle fires off, it makes a sound that makes me flinch. About 6-7 hours after the first one I couldn't pee and had to go to to the ER and get a catheter put in for a week. the other two were no problems. Had robotic, radical surgery in January of this year...so far so good.

Great to hear cancer got it's ass kicked.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My PSA was 11 when I had the first one, this time it was 17. My prostrate is large and enlarged prostrates will give higher PSA readings.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever you do, under no circumstances, as god is my witness, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, look over your shoulder to see what they're doing. That is all.

One more thing. If you want to practice ahead of time, just shove a staple gun up your ass and pull the trigger 12 times.

Actually, it's not much fun but you'll get over it.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I worked with a guy several years ago, that went through it. He said it was painful. Maybe techniques have changed since then?

I've watched more than a couple of friends and family die from cancer and will guarantee you the test will hurt a hell of a lot less than dying from cancer.

I pray things work out well for you.

Thanks. I appreciate that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had my annual check with my Urologist last week. He said my PSA blood count had moved up enough since last year, that he thought it warranted a biopsy of my prostate to check for cancer. Anyone here ever been through it? He explained the procedure, but I think they always try to make it sound rosier than it actually is. Just looking for comments from those that have been through it. I worked with a guy several years ago, that went through it. He said it was painful. Maybe techniques have changed since then?

It feels like your colon is being stapled to your dick, but it could save your life.

Mine was done as "just a precaution", and it saved my life. I was 100% malignant in one lobe and 45% in the other. I had the DaVinci surgery done in 2007, and things are still working pretty well.

Have it done. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Ron

I pray things continue to go well for you. Thanks for the reply.

R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The staple analogy is good, but again, in my case anyways, pain was not an issue. Get it done and see what your dealing with...

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I was told that anumber under 4 was in range. With aging the thing enlarges. Sexual activithy, and other things that irritate it make the number go up. Mine has run 6 to 8 for about 5 years, I refused to go through all the stuff as I felt the urologist was more interested in using his DaVinci than in taking care of me. He also told me that one of the "treatments" is supression of testosterone, so goodbye boys (probably chemically). When I decided against him was when he said most men did not mind castration. I have to go to a different one now to satisfy my doc, but will ask LOTS of questions. My wife is stove up, so the gear is only for memories anyway, BUT...............

What age are you? Do you have other symptoms: urgency, leakage, getting up at night (I always have since about 15), poor flow? I am skeptical that some cures are as bad as the disease.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by kennyd
I was told that anumber under 4 was in range. With aging the thing enlarges. Sexual activithy, and other things that irritate it make the number go up. Mine has run 6 to 8 for about 5 years, I refused to go through all the stuff as I felt the urologist was more interested in using his DaVinci than in taking care of me. He also told me that one of the "treatments" is supression of testosterone, so goodbye boys (probably chemically). When I decided against him was when he said most men did not mind castration. I have to go to a different one now to satisfy my doc, but will ask LOTS of questions. My wife is stove up, so the gear is only for memories anyway, BUT...............

What age are you? Do you have other symptoms: urgency, leakage, getting up at night (I always have since about 15), poor flow? I am skeptical that some cures are as bad as the disease.

No, that's the thing that surprised me. I don't have the classic symptoms. I might get up once during the night to piss, but I start regular and no interrupted stream. No feeling like I have to pee, but can't. I was 62 in October, so the timing is right, but no symptoms. My deductibles are all met, so I'll do it for sure. I'd do it if they weren't met, anyway. Just one more thing the "Golden Years" bring us.
Thanks for your reply.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had it done two years ago when over two years my PSA went from 1.1 to 2.09 and my GP could feel a lump. PSA in itself was some motivation but combined with the palpation, the biopsy seemed in order. Out of the 12 samples, only one turned up hot. BUT with removal of the prostate and post surgery pathology, it was found the cancer was in both lobes so the cancer was more widespread than the biopsy indicated. Keep in mind they are small needles and taking small samples so even then, it is easy to miss the cancer cells. At the same time as he was doing the biopsy, the urologist was also using ultrasound to look at the prostate and he too could see the tumor. I left his office knowing I had a high probability of having cancer despite a low PSA.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
I had it done two years ago when over two years my PSA went from 1.1 to 2.09 and my GP could feel a lump. PSA in itself was some motivation but combined with the palpation, the biopsy seemed in order. Out of the 12 samples, only one turned up hot. BUT with removal of the prostate and post surgery pathology, it was found the cancer was in both lobes so the cancer was more widespread than the biopsy indicated. Keep in mind they are small needles and taking small samples so even then, it is easy to miss the cancer cells. At the same time as he was doing the biopsy, the urologist was also using ultrasound to look at the prostate and he too could see the tumor. I left his office knowing I had a high probability of having cancer despite a low PSA.

So you had the prostate gland out, and it was more cancerous than the biopsy showed? How are you now?. Cancer had not left that area?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Ron

I've had 4 biopsies and like Ron said when the needle fires off it does make you flinch. You are well aware of what's going on. Even with the pain killer. My PSA went over 10 and that can happen because of the enlarged prostate. I take medicine to help it shrink up some and my PSA is still over 4 but with the medicine you are supposed to multiply X 2. I go on medicare next month and my first appointment will be another Urologist. It's a bit of a hassle but it's worth it to know. The only real side effects I had was blood in my stool, urine and semen. But it's well worth the test to know you are ok. I hope that's your case.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,129
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.