Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
For me and Eileen the primary reason has always been meat, which provides not just a wider array of tastes than domestic animals but a sense of independence. But both Eileen have hunted trophies pretty seriously as well, and found that contrary to what many believe, older male animals can provide very good eating. I’ve lived just about totally on wild game since about age 20, and both Eileen and I have during our 32 years of marriage.

But recently I had to ask myself why again, after two abnormal hunting years in 2013 and 2014. In 2013 my Labrador severely dislocated my knee on September 28th, and the only big game animal I got was a whitetail doe, taken late enough in the fall to gimp out there and get it done. Luckily, Eileen took three animals, but none with a lot of meat: a whitetail doe and fawn, and a pronghorn doe.

Consequently we entered 2014 without nearly as much meat as usual, but through some luck in Montana tags and two trips to Texas managed to put 10 big game animals in our freezers. Some were what Ingwe calls dinks, including two 50-pound pigs and another whitetail fawn, a mistake on Eileen’s part—she saw a buck chasing it during the rut so thought it was full-grown. But there were also a cow nilgai and elk, and a couple of mature if not trophy mule deer bucks, though Eileen’s would have had about a two-foot antler spread if one antler hadn’t been broken off short.

This fall we started with a September waterfowl trip to Alberta, since Eileen needed LOTS of ducks and geese for her upcoming cookbook on marinades, brines and rubs for wild game. We brought back around 150 pounds of cleaned birds, and then rearranged and cleaned our freezers, as we do every fall before rifle season starts, to see how much we might need of what. It turned out we didn’t need any meat at all, but there was enough space for a deer or two, so we’re out hunting, theoretically for antlers, though eventually Eileen decided she wanted at least one deer for experiments with really big cuts of meat.

Haven’t taken anything so far, and last night it was really cold out there. We started to wonder why the heck we were shivering in the woods, but while talking about it on the way home, with the pickup heater going full blast, we discovered we’re both essentially scouting for NEXT year. I even hiked up a long Forest Service ridge we’ve hunted off-and-on since we moved here 25 years ago just to see what was going on, since finding a deer or elk with large enough antlers was about as likely as finding a kudu.

Eileen has mostly been hunting whitetails on a big riverbottom, and discovered a bunch of interesting places, sometimes with a little help from me. Down there we even discovered some new places to hunt pheasants and geese after big game season ends after this coming Sunday, since we can always find a place to squeeze some birds into odd corners of the freezers.

However, we also eventually decided we’re hunting because it’s that time of year, and we can. One of the great aspects about living in America is we can hunt wild game that belongs to all of us, yet another reason for giving thanks on this November day. Good hunting and happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a meat hunter with a particular affinity for venison and enjoy being outside in the mountains when I get the chance.

I hope you and Eileen have a wonderful Thanksgiving too.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Happy Thanksgiving to you and Eileen.

Hunt mostly for meat (except varmints),but,just enjoy being away from the daily grind. And the daughter went deer hunting with me this year,that's a added bonus.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt (and scout) mostly just to get outdoors in country that I would almost never visit for any other reason.

I like to think that I am a trophy hunter, as the meat is not my primary reason for going but I haven't actually harvested a "trophy" for several years. I do kill an elk almost every year, mostly to justify the cost of hunting as a nonresident in Colorado.

Bird hunts (doves, quail, ducks and sandhill cranes, etc.) are almost always social events and don't add up to very many days afield in most years.

I guess that the primary reason that I hunt is that I think of myself as a hunter, and that's what hunters do.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mudhen
I guess that the primary reason that I hunt is that I think of myself as a hunter, and that's what hunters do.

Me too. Humans have always hunted, so without trying to divert the thread, the question should also be directed to non-hunters and why they don't hunt. I'm glad they don't, for most I'm sure it would be lack of exposure or opportunity.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just love to hunt n' fish and quite grateful for it.

Funny, of all the strangers I've crossed paths with, the comraderie between other outdoorsmen have led to lifelong friendships and unforgettable memories!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hunting is not the most important thing.....IT'S THE ONLY THING....it's who I am, it's a part of me and has been since I was born......well....there's fishing too!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Happy Thanksgiving to ALL !

Well I can say that Eileen's not the only one to make a mistake judging an animal. I've done it before and did it again this yr. Shot a doe ? turned out to be a fawn. I really hate it when that happens but it does occasionally.

I hunt because I'm a hunter. I enjoy being in the woods, all the scenery and wildlife that's part of being 'out' doors. I enjoy surprising wildlife. Monday a buck ran a doe nearly into my lap, literally. That was his mistake.

Some yrs back I was deer hunting and a turkey spotted me, it didn't recognize what I looked like nor the position I was in. It came w/in 15' of me before turning around. If it had come on I was gonna try to jump it. Don't know if it would have worked but I was going to 'enjoy' trying.

As humans we have the predator instinct (as far as animals are concerned). There's an excitement and fulfillment when we are successful.

Whether WE kill it or not, EVERYTHING has to die for us to eat---including vegetables.

Kate (plus 8) said she got her meat>>"at the store where it's made", crazy.. I heard her say that with MY OWN ears. smirk

Death Sustains Life -- FACT and no apologies offered.

Happy Successful Hunting

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Hunting gives me peace and tranquility away from the weight of the real world. Wife could leave me, truck get stolen, loose my job and get evicted, but when I'm out in the woods or in a blind, nothing else matters. Oh, by the way, I love consuming venison and small game a whole bunch.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Jerry

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, I have no choice.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
We hunt because it's in our blood to do it. We are hardwired that way and I can't offer anything more as a reason than that, because I don't know one.

Happy Thanksgiving every one!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yep, I have no choice.

Pretty much the same here. The predator in me surfaced more strongly than in most I guess.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I always thought it was abnormal for a man to not hunt/fish.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The ones with spots taste better...at least that's my excuse. smile

I hunt because I'm drawn to it. But it's not just the hunting, it's the totality of the adventure. I'm drawn more and more to the context of hunting and the actual killing part of it grows a little bit smaller each year. I love being out in nature, I love the unknown of every morning and the questions that reside behind every hill or unexplored part of a property. Trophies outside of big or rare animals exist and they are the texture of the adventure. Without those even the biggest animal would be bland and dimensionless. The simple fact that this land was here long before I set foot on it and will exist long after I'm gone tells me I'm part of a great story. I want to know as much as possible about that history and I want to involve myself as much as possible in the writing of its future.

There is so much to be seen and learned and hunting gives me a chance to participate on my terms. I'm away from my desk, my responsibilities, and not moving at 70 mph. I take a gun to insert myself in to this world in a consequential way. The ultimate goal is meat or even a trophy, but despite those tangible gains benefitting me directly, they really serve to extend the adventure beyond the present and that allows me to last until the next season begins.

Hunting used to be about survival, and now with our grocery stores and "solved" lives one could assume we have rendered the survival aspect null and void. However, I don't know if I could survive without it, let alone thrive. It's so necessary to my existence.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm going out in the snow right now just so I can watch my dog hunt, he enjoys it more than I do and it's fun to watch.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am glad you brought this topic to discussion. While I was hunting this week for deer, I had some time to interact with my cousin's family. His wife was busy getting ready for Black Friday. She was going over her plan for where to go and what to get. I told her she would make a great hunter. She ignored me. I said she was merely doing what is programmed in our genes to hunt and gather. She missed my whole point merely muttering I am not hunting.

Whether its video games, shopping, gardening, or out in the woods chasing game all of us find a way to satisfy this innate hunger.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Well said John and best Thanksgiving wishes to all.

I too have made the fawn mistake. blush

I think I've heard you say that game meat can be considered a trophy and in our house it is considered as such. I receive great joy from sharing wild game at our table, especially with folks who haven't had wild game or perhaps have had a poorly cooked or cared for game meat. It's very rewarding to have someone say, "I never knew wild game was so good."

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mudhen
I hunt (and scout) mostly just to get outdoors in country that I would almost never visit for any other reason.

+1.

There is just something special about being out there with a tag in pocket and rifle in hand.

While we use and appreciate the meat, for me, the spent in the hills and woods with the anticipation of finding what I am after is what does it for me. I simply enjoy the time spent in the quiet while walking, waiting, and watching.

For me, hunting isn't a hobby or pastime. Even though I may not go after it with the zeal of my 20's and 30's, it is a way of life and I can't wrap my mind around not doing it.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

John,

I still have the elk tenderloins, when are you coming over?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Kirk,

We'll be over sometime in December. This fall really has been crazy, with a major surprise every month that's almost completely screwed up the planned schedules. Will let you know soon, thanks!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 72 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,953
Posts18,480,406
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.