Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I am a FFL holder and just received an older Sako rifle from another FFL holder. The rifle does not have the serial number or action model stamped on the left side of the receiver. It is smooth with nice bluing as if it was never even stamped. On the right side of the receiver it has a serial number starting with "ATF" followed by several numbers. This serial looks to be professionally done by a laser engraver of some kind. I am not familiar with this type of serial as I have never seen one. Can anyone give me any insight on it?

Thanks!

[Linked Image]
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It sounds just like an older Husky I have. Originallly had no s/n, but was engraved by ATF when I wanted to take it out of the country.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is an answer to your specific question in a Rifleman but I could not find it.
Here is something close from Ed Harris

Serial Number Obliteration
The American Rifleman
October 1977

If, when installing a side mount for a scope sight on a rifle receiver, such as the Ruger Mini-14, the serial number is covered up. is this a violation of GCA '68? Can the number be restamped elsewhere on the rifle to make it legal? What if one or more digits are rendered unreadable by drilling the mount screw holes?

Answser: According to the Bureau of Alcohol. Tobacco and Firearms Department of Scientific and Technical Services, it is a violation of Section 922(k) of Title I of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for any person to knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated or altered.

BATF recognized that technical limitations imposed by the design of certain firearms and scope mounts might make it necessary to cover the serial number. The mere act of placing a scope mount over the serial number would not constitute a violation. A gunsmith may wish to restamp the serial number on an exposed area of the receiver. However, for purposes of positive identification, the original serial number must remain intact and accessible.

If the original serial number is obliterated during the drilling and tapping operation, positive identification of a stolen or misused firearm would be impossible. If such a firearm were subsequently moved in interstate commerce, the owner could be placed in violation of Section 922(k) in the cited statute. Even if a duplicate serial number were stamped on the firearm, it would be extremely difficult to prove that the new serial did, in fact, duplicate the original serial number.

Persons fitting scope mounts to firearm receivers must exercise extreme care to insure the original manufacturer's serial number is not obliterated. If installation of a particular brand of scope mount requires drilling holes through the serial number, and alternate type should be selected.

If an individual is in possession of any firearm having an indecently obliterated serial number, he should contact the nearest ATF Field Office and arrange to have an ATF serial number assigned to the firearm.-C.E.H.

Last edited by william_iorg; 11/25/15.

Slim
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
The ATF number stamped on the frame wouldn't be the original Sako number as it is too long. I really don't think it was ever stamped with a serial at all from Sako. I think the last sentence above sums it up. I think it was just given a serial by the ATF since it was shipped to the US with no serial.

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have seen FN Mauser rifles and actions without serial numbers

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have seen FN Mauser rifles and actions without serial numbers

I have an FN Mauser that has no serial number. I also have a Husqvarna FN style Mauser that has the serial number on the barrel. Should I rebarrel that rifle, there will be no serial number. shocked
IIRC, prior to that abortion called the 1968 gun control act, there was no law stating the a firearm was required to have a serial number. Might have been a requirement for handguns as I've never seen one that did not have a number. Look how many old .22's still around that have no number.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a copy of Webley revolver last week and it didnt have serial numbers, caliber, or manufacturer on it. Very old gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When a firearm exists that was manufactured without a serial number you can contact ATF and the Secretary will give you a serial number for the firearm.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by texasaggie09
I am a FFL holder and just received an older Sako rifle from another FFL holder. The rifle does not have the serial number or action model stamped on the left side of the receiver. It is smooth with nice bluing as if it was never even stamped. On the right side of the receiver it has a serial number starting with "ATF" followed by several numbers. This serial looks to be professionally done by a laser engraver of some kind. I am not familiar with this type of serial as I have never seen one. Can anyone give me any insight on it?

Thanks!

I can help you out. I own a rifle that now has a new serial assigned by the ATF. It also starts with "ATF". It's a Remington 700 that had an aluminum sleeve pinned and epoxied around it. An old benchrest rifle. I took it to a local machine shop to turn the sleeve off because it was blind pinned in place. Anyway, they took off too much and turned off the serial number and the "Remington 700" markings. I contacted the local BATF office and reported it. I didn't have the original serial number. After about a week, they assigned a new serial number and gave me a letter allowing me to get it marked. There's a local company called A & A Engraving that does a lot of commeratives for a bunch of gun companies. They fixed it up nearly as good as new. Hope that helps.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.