Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Exactly...

The wind doesn't push the bullet. The bullet nose points into the wind causing the bullet to drift with the wind.

Semantics

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
So if I'm shooting into a 3 o'clock wind my bullet is going to hit the target sideways?

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Unless you can figure out exactly what the wind is doing at the muzzle, at the target, and several increments in between it's just an educated guess, no matter who you are, and often enough they do not.

That is the problem with wind, there are no absolutes and you cant set up wind flags to the target. get a good ballistic program,use the highest B.C.bullets and get lots of practice is the best formula I can come up with. there are times when Mother Nature just wins

Agreed, and shooting at game in those conditions is no time to be SWAG'ing it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Amazing to read about so many people who admit their wind judging doesn't result in a first-shot, cold-bore hit every time, especially on this forum.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwp475
Exactly...

The wind doesn't push the bullet. The bullet nose points into the wind causing the bullet to drift with the wind.

Semantics

No, physics.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Ringman

Without looking at a computer drift chart I have a question. Let's say there is no wind after the first 100 yards of a 1000 yard shot. Wouldn't the bullet continue on its errant path from the first 100 yards at the angle it was deflected?

No. Spin Drift.

The bullet is pushed off course by the wind.....

I've read Bryan Litz's explanation and technically, I believe it's incorrect to say the bullet is pushed off course by the wind. I believe the wind causes the bullet to alter its orientation and that's what causes the deflection. I think I've read MD say something similar, maybe he'll chime in.

Ringman, I wish I could answer your question. That would mean I had a really good grasp of all this.

Don't think in terms of wind. Think of it as the bullet being contained within a moving mass of air, and as the air moves, so does the bullet.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

Don't think in terms of wind. Think of it as the bullet being contained within a moving mass of air, and as the air moves, so does the bullet.

I once told someone the Catholic Mass is the most beautiful assemblage of words I ever heard. But your post, in a secular sorta way of course, comes close.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
So if I'm shooting into a 3 o'clock wind my bullet is going to hit the target sideways?

No!

That occurs when you're using the wrong twist rate and bullet!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
lol

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Exactly...

Semantics

No, physics.

The bullet moves in the direction of the air flow. You are being obtuse.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If hunting, get closer to your game, less wind drift influence that way......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Exactly...

Semantics

No, physics.

The bullet moves in the direction of the air flow. You are being obtuse.

"What we've got here is failure to communicate."

Does an airplane fly because the wind pushes up on the wings?

**Edited to add, it's not semantics, and I'm not being obtuse.

If you want to solve or mitigate a problem (wind drift) it's important to understand what causes the problem.

If wind drift was caused by the wind "pushing the bullet" then you'd solve it by making a bullet with less surface area to push on. And a shorter bullet in the same caliber would have less wind drift.

But that's not what happens.

Wind drift is caused by drag, so you mitigate it by making a low drag bullet, not a shorter one.

Last edited by smokepole; 11/26/15.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Imagine I've got a wind free 500yd shooting lane. In front of this wind free shooting lane, I've got an additional 500yds exposed to a full value cross wind. My load has exactly 14" of wind drift at 500yds - if I do not correct my hold the bullet is pushed exactly 14" in the exposed 500yd.

If I shoot at 1000 yard target (first 500yds, full value cross wind exposure, last 500yds no wind), with NO wind correction input - I hold dead on. How much drift will I observe at 1000yds? 14"? more?

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
More

Jordan,

Thanks for the response. I never really thought about this aspect until reading this thread. I know you probably don't have enough information to definitely answer the next question, but ...

How much more? A couple inches? double (28" total)?

Thanks,

David

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Whatever deviation in angle that has started will remain. The bullet can't "track" back on it's own.

At 500 yards your example was .8 mil of drift. At 1,000 yards it will have .8 mil of drift (+/- due to spin drift). Think of it as angular error, because it is, it can't magically pull itself back into the line of sight.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Whatever deviation in angle that has started will remain. The bullet can't "track" back on it's own.

At 500 yards your example was .8 mil of drift. At 1,000 yards it will have .8 mil of drift (+/- due to spin drift). Think of it as angular error, because it is, it can't magically pull itself back into the line of sight.

So you're saying 28" +/- spin drift?

Thanks,

David

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

This makes sense to me intuitively, but then again, so does the wind pushing the bullet off course.

If wind drift is caused by drag and yaw, and the source of the drag (crosswind) is removed, wouldn't the bullet then point its nose back in the original orientation (as it left the muzzle) and continue on the original path?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Thanks,

David

IIRC you'd have aprox .8MOA spin drift to the right @ 1000 yards.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Thanks,

David

IIRC you'd have aprox .8MOA spin drift to the right @ 1000 yards.

No spin drift accounted for here

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (007FJ, 11point, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.