Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm buying one of those pups and can get another.

Da%##^ed you anyway! You know I covet that coyote-killer of yours, and now you're dangling the carrot! smirk

wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bruce,

Your story of the Fortuna 16 X 757R reminds me of a friend who's crazy about good side-by-side shotguns. Don't know how many he's owned but it must be in the hundreds, from just about every country.

He always wanted a good British gun and found a great one he could shoot well, and he admits he’s far from a great wingshot. But it wasn’t a “name” British gun, so even though the gun was in great original condition, it eventually disappeared, one of a number of gun trades/sales that eventually resulted in a NAME British side-by-side, a cobble-job that ended up being a money-pit he never did shoot nearly as well.

Another friend always claimed he could turn a matched pair of Purdeys into a Mossberg pump in less than six trades.

But hey, that’s how we are….

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry Bruce I was testing to see if it was REALLY your last drilling. Good to know there is some hope for you and there are drillings out there that will still tempt you.

Old Trooper is getting worse, we're down to going home from duck hunting after five retrieves and then I have to hunt alone for a couple of days until he recovers, his upland days are all done. He's got the drive still but he's writing checks his body can't cash anymore. My body is getting there also and I'm not sure if I can follow big running dogs across the prairie like I used to and am going back to my beloved AWS's.

Old Trooper, one of the great ones.
[Linked Image]

For those of you curious about the drilling we're talking about, a svelte little Suhl drilling in 16x16/6.5x58R Sauer that is a sub MOA gun, near or far coyotes dwell in fear. Leupold VX-11 1-4x20mm mounted low, 1 oz NP BB's and a 6.5mm 90 gr TNT sized to .260. It also has a fitted Hensoldt 4x.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 11/22/15.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We've talked about that gun. I love the caliber. My wife has a neat little 20 ga drilling with that rifle cal. by Emil Kerner. I use std 264 100 gr hollow pt Sierra bullets. I recall borrowing it once and shooting a hog on a foggy morning, that I thought was bbq size <100#. Shot him behind the shoulder @ 125 yds, he took a couple steps and fell over. The closer I got, the bigger he got.. Turned out to be over 400# and wound up in sausage..

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine has a pretty tight bore, this is with .257 bullets. I'd use them but fear eroding the throat with the undersized bullets.

[Linked Image]

Make mine a Minaska

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Give your old Trooper a big wet kiss from a dog lover for me. wink

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by erich
Mine has a pretty tight bore, this is with .257 bullets. I'd use them but fear eroding the throat with the undersized bullets.

[Linked Image]

Have you slugged the bore? I've had several of those and they all slugged .264 groove to groove. The 6.5X52R always slugs @257.

My wife's 6.5X58R drilling is the most accurate drilling
we have, in spite of a less than perfect bore. Always under an inch, with a 2.5X post reticle Hensoldt. I would love to see just how accurate it is with a higher power optic.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I slugged it twice to be sure and it is .260. I have a bullet sizing die from C&H to take .264 down to .260, he actually had it on the shelf. He had the 6.5x58R Sauer on the shelf also, great outfit to do business with, nice dies. The company has changed hands a few times over the years, I've used their presses and dies since the 1970's.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's always nice to be able to make bullets to match your gun and application. The small adjustments like you're doing work great sizing them down. But a larger adjustment to a jacketed bullet is best done by taking it up to the diameter you want. It tightens the jacket. Some good instructions on making swaging dies are in Nonte's book of "Cartridge Conversions". I made a die to bump up 180 grain Speer 35 Rem bullets to 365 for my 9.3X72R. All the ones I found were too heavy and too heavily constructed for that caliber. I also change the nose shape a little. Great expansion & accuracy. I recommend that book for anyone who shoots any "exotic" calibers.

Greg
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You never know about older German/Austrian guns until you measure the bores. My wife has a combo gun with a 16-gauge barrel over what’s supposedly a 9.3x72R barrel. The guy she bought the gun from even included a box of RWS 9.3x72R ammo, half of which he’d shot in the gun. But when I measured the bore it turned out to be just about exactly .35 caliber, so we load those same flat-nose 180 Speers at around 2000 fps. They do work great on deer!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Did someone mention drillings and American Water Spaniels???

Now, that's a combination I can relate to:::

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's a good day for something.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now that is a pretty picture.

I'm going to be looking for another AWS in the not too distant future. Do you have a recommendation for a breeder.

Beautiful drilling how about some specs on it.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now that is a pretty picture.

I'm going to be looking for another AWS in the not too distant future. Do you have a recommendation for a breeder.

Beautiful drilling how about some specs on it.

Make mine a Minaska

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks erich,

The drilling is a side plated box lock in 8x57jr under 16ga barrels. It has a tang safety which I found very user friendly and was made by Muchller in the 30's. It was fitted with a 6x scope with an unusual mount. I traded it off in a moment of weakness a few years ago. It was easiest the fanciest drilling I have owned.

I have sent you a PM regarding a breeder for Water Spaniels.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's a good day for something.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rudy,

That is some eye-candy for sure, the gun and the gundog.

Rates a two-cool
cool cool

The scope looks a lot like the old Zeiss Zielsechs 6X or Zielvier 4X.

Last edited by luv2safari; 11/27/15.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good luck with both the new acquisitions!

Not sure which one I think looks "better". I know one would be more pleasant to have around the house and wouldn't need to be kept in the safe when not in use. wink

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,920
Posts18,479,752
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.