Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
This fall has to be my Marlin 336-A in .35 Remington, It's a
a one inch shooter for 2 shots....the third shot just drives me crazy. Heck..this gun has a cut rifled barrel..pre-1955.

Doc

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A Ruger 17 hornet. Came with a large bulge at the rear of the chamber at 4 o clock, a bad crown, tool marks in the muzzle and shot 3.5" groups with factory ammo.

$600 later, it'll shoot MOA over flags to 300. For a $1400 total investment, I could have had something much nicer. But.... It was a Christmas gift from my old lady so I had to make it loveable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Don't really have anything that falls in this category because if I don't like them they go down the road immediately.

I'm pretty ruthless with rifles I dislike. smile

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

Had a Rem 700 BDL in .308 Win that was wicked accurate (possibly the most accurate rifle I've owned) but very hard on cases.

Had a Handi-Rifle in .308 Win that would pop open on firing.

Had a Ruger American .30-06 that I couldn't get to shoot with factory ammo.

Had a Ruger #1 in .280 Rem that was a .5MOA shooter with multiple loads but much too pretty to elk hunt with.

In each case, "Had" is the operative word.

The Rem M700 and Handi-Rifle funded my first AR-15 with uppers in .300 Blackout and .223/5.56 Wylde. The Ruger American and Ruger #1 funded a Ruger Scout in .308 Win and a Ruger All-Weather Hawkeye in .280 Rem.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I agree. If my rifles don't ooze quality and shoot extremely well, I won't keep them. I tend to put all new rifles through a qualification of stay when I first get them. Then see if I get emotionally attached to them in some way. I have to have a "X" factor connection with all my rifles. If a rifle is a great shooter but too sterile for me to love, it won't be around long.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't really have anything that falls in this category because if I don't like them they go down the road immediately.

AMEN! I am too.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Remington799. Purchased a 22-250 to use as a donner action for a 260Rem, then I found out it was built on the 223 sized action not the 308 making that an impossible build. Without putting 1 round down range I sold it to a family member. Found out the bolt is loose so the fining pin doesn't make contact on every round. I offered to buy it back or replace it with an Axis. Nope, he said he would look for a smith to fix it.

Oh well. The thing that really made me mad was Remington wouldn't fix it. They told me to "call EAA as they were the importers" for that rifle. "It says Remington the side does that not mean anything to you folks any more?"

I own an 870 and love it. I'm sure there are a lot of good 700's out there but there are a lot of other good rifle manufactures with great customer service.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Savage Axis in 223. It has the worst stock I have ever used and as a result it will hit a barn wall if I am standing inside. I just don't think the rest of the quality is worth an aftermarket stock so it just takes up space in the safe.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Never met a rifle I did not like!

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Same here. If I haven't killed it's intended quary with it within a year of purchase, I figure I didn't need it as badly as I thought and it goes down the road. But....

Remington 742 Carbine, chambered in .30-06. Currently has an ancient Weaver 4x on it. My Dad bought it for me when I became old enough to hunt (age 14 here in ND). By that time I was already shooting a 12ga (capably), so he thought he'd get me the same rifle that he was using (742 BDL, 30-06). He opted for the carbine, though, as he thought it would be lighter and easier for a kid to lug around.

And that is where his reasoning went off the rails. I was already lugging around a 8lbs Remington M11 shotgun, so weight wasn't an issue. Basically, he got me a gun that was LOUD, kicked like a mule and shot flames out the end of the barrel. All while delivering mediocre to poor accuracy. I DID kill my first deer with it, and much later, a couple others. But I never did like that gun. But, since it was a gift from Dad, I hold on to it. Dad is gone now, and I have his 742 as a complement to mine. Once it a while I think about taking his out (it's much more accurate than mine) and putting an animal on the ground with it. Unfortunately, I am in the depths of a loony binge and there's always something around that needs to be blooded first.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Mine would have to be my compact TC Venture in 243. The only reason I keep it around is to save for my boys when they are old enough to hunt. It shoots well enough but it's a little heavy for a compact rifle. I'm not crazy about the trigger weight after adjustment and the bolt is a little short. I got it for a song, $180 out the door after rebate so I can't complain too much.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Is this a "trick question? I only have "one" hunting rifle! I have several that I play around with, but "only" one hunting rifle. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Rem 700 in 243. A good 3 shot 100 gr. group out of it goes 1.5. Most go up to 2". I've had it about 40 years now, and it's killed sheep, moose, caribou and black bears.

Still, it ought to get better groups than that. One of these years I should try it with other bullet weights, especially some of the premiums. Maybe I will learn to like it better. Or I could try some hand loads.

One of these years....

Besides, it has a real pretty stock on it now - the first I ever built from a blank, back in 1979. I should maybe checker that thing sometime....It's out on loan for the winter right now, somewhere up the Noatak. I may even get it back come spring. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I love them all...I just love a couple more than the rest!!!

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,823
Posts18,477,875
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.