Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Having said that, "glass" is the least important feature of a scope as they are aiming devices, not bird watching devices, and for what matters in a scope, they are at the top of the heap.

Bingo. It's a SIGHT, not a viewing or photographic device. I do wish they offered a better hunting reticle.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[Linked Image]

The Windplex!

Scott
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Having said that, "glass" is the least important feature of a scope as they are aiming devices, not bird watching devices, and for what matters in a scope, they are at the top of the heap.

Bingo. It's a SIGHT, not a viewing or photographic device. I do wish they offered a better hunting reticle.

More than a few have been uttering that statement for YEARS on the 'Fire. Most blow it off, since jerking off through a Swaro Rifle scope is so much better than something that actually works all the time.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[Linked Image]

To me, this with just the Turret(s) to spin would suit me just fine. You would have to count clicks up or come up with a CDS dial but it seems ideal with nothing I would not use.

I guess that would be like asking for egg in your beer though.

*Master of random precision*
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The reticle has nothing to do with rangefinding. It's main use, as stated, is for wind. Having both windage and elevation gives ones options.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by twofish
Do they not make a straight duplex with turrets to spin?

It seems to me that most folks who shoot/hunt LR do so with the aid of a decent electronic rangefinder.

I don't feel the need for both the range finding reticle and the turrets to spin unless one was preparing for electronic rangefinder failure.

What am I missing in my thinking?

twofish,

Even if you do not use the reticle for wind or elevation hold offs, it is still invaluable for spotting your own shots. This is why you'll find most shooters do not like the big boomers and also why you'll find a lot of brakes and suppressors on the firing lines of any long range shoot.

When I shoot, I'm watching the steel and the surrounding area. If I see a poof of dust on the half-mil-mark to the right of the steel, guess where I need to hold for my next shot?

Easy-peasy.

Same holds for elevation. Your windage call is good, but you see it "poof" at the 1 mil mark below your crosshairs, guess how much more you need to dial?

You trackin'? Get it? Tracking? I made a scope related pun.

GFY.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"Trackin' with Travis," man that should be a TV show with a ground blind and tree stand commercials.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I'd really like to try a 6X but for the areas I hunt a variable works better. Most of our shots are 250 yards and in and lots of times within 100 yards in dark cover. I think a 6X would be too much in the woods and I'd really prefer to have more magnification for longer shots. For a hunting scope in my area the SWFA doesn't seem to do it for me.

Anyone in the east use one of them effectively?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
I'd really like to try a 6X but for the areas I hunt a variable works better. Most of our shots are 250 yards and in and lots of times within 100 yards in dark cover. I think a 6X would be too much in the woods and I'd really prefer to have more magnification for longer shots. For a hunting scope in my area the SWFA doesn't seem to do it for me.

The Lord has blessed me so I do not have to live in the east, but I would highly recommend you try one. You may find it doesn't inhibit anything. Regardless of AOR.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Travis, I'd love to move west but lots of family here and it's home so that's not an option. It's still not that bad, being able to catch mountain trout one day and fish bluewater or inshore the next. Hunting sucks compared to out west but we can get into some decent waterfowl action.

I've never been on to twist turrets and have never used ranging reticles to their potential, mainly due to the shorter ranges we hunt. What's the concensus on mil dot vs MQ? I don't have a need for either but the draw is high with the prices this weekend.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by twofish
Do they not make a straight duplex with turrets to spin?

It seems to me that most folks who shoot/hunt LR do so with the aid of a decent electronic rangefinder.

I don't feel the need for both the range finding reticle and the turrets to spin unless one was preparing for electronic rangefinder failure.

What am I missing in my thinking?

twofish,

Even if you do not use the reticle for wind or elevation hold offs, it is still invaluable for spotting your own shots. This is why you'll find most shooters do not like the big boomers and also why you'll find a lot of brakes and suppressors on the firing lines of any long range shoot.

When I shoot, I'm watching the steel and the surrounding area. If I see a poof of dust on the half-mil-mark to the right of the steel, guess where I need to hold for my next shot?

Easy-peasy.

Same holds for elevation. Your windage call is good, but you see it "poof" at the 1 mil mark below your crosshairs, guess how much more you need to dial?

You trackin'? Get it? Tracking? I made a scope related pun.

GFY.

Clark

Great explanation here. I'd also add that with a SS you can literally dial the windage or elevation accordingly from the measurement of target to the miss and trust the tracking to match. That is such a huge thing. You cannot do the same thing with a standard duplex with any precision.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Travis, I'd love to move west but lots of family here and it's home so that's not an option. It's still not that bad, being able to catch mountain trout one day and fish bluewater or inshore the next. Hunting sucks compared to out west but we can get into some decent waterfowl action.

I've never been on to twist turrets and have never used ranging reticles to their potential, mainly due to the shorter ranges we hunt. What's the concensus on mil dot vs MQ? I don't have a need for either but the draw is high with the prices this weekend.

The MQ is more precise but I like the standard mil dot just fine. But it is much "coarser" than the MQ.

Based on what you described I'd give the 1-4X a whirl and see if you like it. It has all the features you could want to try out in one scope. Ranging reticle, MQ reticle, and turrets.

I was going to buy one myself but somebody shot my truck and I ended up needing four new tires. You can visit here any time. Everybody loves meeting me.

Hope this helps.

Travis

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nightforce for the win!

(sorry, couldn't resist.)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just for info, looks like pretty much all the fixed powers are sold out

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by deflave

The MQ is more precise but I like the standard mil dot just fine. But it is much "coarser" than the MQ.

Based on what you described I'd give the 1-4X a whirl and see if you like it. It has all the features you could want to try out in one scope. Ranging reticle, MQ reticle, and turrets.

I was going to buy one myself but somebody shot my truck and I ended up needing four new tires. You can visit here any time. Everybody loves meeting me.

Hope this helps.

Travis

I don't think the person who shot your truck liked meeting you.

The 1-4 looks like the tits for hunting. I almost squeezed the trigger on one, but decided that even 300 clams is more than I can shell out right now.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by NH_Sharpshooter

In fact, Shrapnel is quite fond of Travis.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by NH_Sharpshooter

Don't be ridiculous.

Clark

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

yea I guess but its a Meopro fixed 6X with a #4 so it can be done here in the east. I just bought another SWFA 1-4, I like the big bugger in the middle of the windshield for shooting in the woods at 25 yard deer, then it can be used for other stuff as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff, however, Hakko doesn't make the SS scopes

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugeman, 1936M71, 007FJ, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,528
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.