-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a Remington 1100 20ga. that I bought used a few years ago. It looks to be in excelent condition but has a function issue. After the last round in the magazine is fired the bolt fails to stay open. It stays open fine when pulled back buy hand and cycles various ammo flawlessly. First thing I tried was to replace the o-ring. Did'nt fix. Then I swapped the trigger group from a friends gun into place and the gun functioned flawlessly. Most recent thing I tried was to repalce the carrier latch.
That also did'nt fix. Any Ideas?

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Remove the trigger group. Check the carrier latch engagement tab for damage. Ensure it's engaging it's slot enough for the end to be flush with the opening. Move it by hand back and forth and feel the spring pressure; it should be fairly stiff. If weak, you may have a damaged/collapsed spring.

Last, there's a small, black finger-like tab that sticks out horizontally towards the muzzle end, alongside the carrier latch. It's a shell guide. Ensure that did not become a bit bent and might be interfering with the forward movement of the latch when it's engaging it's slot.. The latch should move close to it, but definitely not touching it..

The fact that it works when you work the action manually tells me that there's something interfering with full movement of the carrier latch when the speed of firing is involved..

If nothing else (and you're completely confused laugh ) take that other trigger group out and place it directly alongside yours and note any potential differences between the two in the latch and/or tab area..

Let us know what you find..

Last edited by Redneck; 11/30/15.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
Remove the trigger group. Check the carrier latch engagement tab for damage. Ensure it's engaging it's slot enough for the end to be flush with the opening. Move it by hand back and forth and feel the spring pressure; it should be fairly stiff. If weak, you may have a damaged/collapsed spring.

Last, there's a small, black finger-like tab that sticks out horizontally towards the muzzle end, alongside the carrier latch. It's a shell guide. Ensure that did not become a bit bent and might be interfering with the forward movement of the latch when it's engaging it's slot.. The latch should move close to it, but definitely not touching it..

The fact that it works when you work the action manually tells me that there's something interfering with full movement of the carrier latch when the speed of firing is involved..

If nothing else (and you're completely confused laugh ) take that other trigger group out and place it directly alongside yours and note any potential differences between the two in the latch and/or tab area..

Let us know what you find..

This, sound like a weak spring to me

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gemby58

This, sound like a weak spring to me
In my experience, it's actually the condition of the tab OR the angle of the shell guide tab that's usually the culprit..

And of THOSE two, I'd carefully inspect the carrier latch tab/recess engagement first... But any of the three can be the pita... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 2500HD, 222ND, 257 roberts, 68 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,692
Posts18,534,541
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.