And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I've never seen that Movie. I'll have to check it out.

kinda like Magnificent Seven.

with Jack Palance as the bad guy

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The wife's side is related to Cynthia Ann,on Daniel Parkers side.

Her Father ran a cattle ranch in Silverton and when they left in 61 there were some buffs in the country.
She also told me of going with her Dad to look at the pile of horse bones and said that she could see some hair still.
I have been up in that part of the state and it is some wild/broken country.

I like it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Jack Palance, Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Woody Strode, Claudia Cardinale, and Ralph Bellamy.

Lee Marvin wears a pretty cool hat in the, Professionals. wink

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Lee Marvin exudes cool!!! To me utimate bad azz! Hell with Charlie Sheen! I'd likes to have partied with Lee!!!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 11/30/15.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?

WS

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ETHAN EDWARDS - "I'm highly interested in what an expert such as yourself, thinks is the best example of McMurtry's work translated onto film-either the big screen or small. Hud? The Last Picture Show? Lonesome Dove? All were critically acclaimed. Maybe Terms of Endearment? I've never seen the latter so..."

Ethan Edwards, thank you for the compliment but in no way, shape or form to I consider myself an "expert" on either western novels or films. Hell, I'm still learning. wink

I grew up watching every movie I could at the two theatres in the very small town in which I lived. Didn't make much difference what kind they were: I loved movies. I also read many western novels of the pocketbook genre. There was no library in town so hard bound novels of any kind were hard to come by. Plus they were expensive.

I will say that of the hundreds upon hundreds of movies I have seen over many years, a lot of them were westerns, so have a couple of opinions about the genre.

Larry McMurtry is an excellent novelist and screenwriter. As for his best novel transposed to film, I believe there were several. Hud definitely was right up there at the top, as was The Last Picture Show. As for a modern story and film, Terms of Endearment was very well done and of course, it did not hurt that Jack Nicholson, who was in his prime, was the lead actor.

I am probably a bit prejudiced but The Last Picture Show is one of my very favorite McMurtry movies. It reminds me to this day of the very small town in which I grew up in north central Arkansas, where one day, the "last picture show" in which I had watched several hundred movies over the years, closed.

I thought Texasville a better novel than the movie. Of course, a movie is a radically collaborative effort so sometimes (often?), things and people making movies just don't mesh. The script can be absolutely brilliant and the movie a POS. That's show business. cool

I enjoyed his novel, Lonesome Dove, and enjoyed the mini-series but thought it needed some editing when Gus got to Nebraska. Seemed to really slow down the story in my opinion. I read Streets of Laredo but wasn't enthusiastic about it. Watched the mini-series but felt it was "pushed" and a bit contrived.

Those are my thoughts and opinion. I'm sure others might differ.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Hud! Movie I was trying to think of other day. Damn good movie!!!

Thanks!

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Patricia Neal's character in Hud is a black woman in the book. Adds a whole nother dimension for Texas at the time.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Correct! wink

Founder

WS

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hud was highly acclaimed; I think McMurtry's book title the movie was made from was Horseman, Pass By.
I also like Hombre. Another favorite is Ulzana's Raid with Burt Lancaster.

Last edited by El_Numero_Uno; 11/30/15.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Valdez Is Coming!!!! Another Burt Lancaster goodie!

"She never smiles,,,,,,,, if she were my woman,,,,,,, I could make her smile!!!"

One of the great movie lines.

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
"Tell Senor Tanner, Valdez is coming."

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I liked Lonesome Dove and like Larry McMurty's books, but my all time favorite is Elmer Kelton. His heroes are just ordinary men. I have read every book that Elmer wrote and I ain't even a Texan lol. Think only the Good Old Boys made it to the small screen.
Like Ron I have known men like those. In fact there are still a few around. Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by teal
I have a feeling I'm in the minority but I think the show sucked arse.

Watched it once, wouldn't watch it again.
What did you not like about it? Do you dislike westerns overall or just didn't like that particular one? Most folks do like it.

Personally, I liked it a lot when I first watched it, but I grew up loving westerns only to have the spigot literally just turned off back in the seventies. Westerns were so sparse that IMO ones that were pretty pedestrian overall got elevated to mythic status just by appearing when there weren't any others. Dances with Wolves comes immediately to mind. I love accuracy in westerns and to me having some period stuff in one as opposed to using 1892 Winchesters and SAA's in 1836, really raises one up. OTOH, I think that some older oaters that were just considered "good" as opposed to newer ones that were considered "excellent" really had better storylines.

1967's Hombre with Paul Newman is a helluva western, as is One Eyed Jacks and The Appaloosa, both with Marlon Brando.

I love westerns. I watch them several times a week (youtube is littered with old B westerns) - I just couldn't get into the story/characters and I hate Robert Ulrich. I don't know. I also think Silverado is vastly overrated as a Western too.

Just can't get into them.

Hombre is good - I've seen that a few times. Tho I'm still a sucker for Rio Bravo as my favorite of all time.

I never thought Urich was much of an actor, but I thought his performance in Lonesome Dove was better than he usually did.

Silverado was just a mash-up of western themes and more of a tribute to westerns than a real movie-to me anyway. I kind of like it, but it's not really...I dunno.

Rio Bravo used to make my top ten westerns easily. I guess I just tired of it at some point.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
ETHAN EDWARDS - "I'm highly interested in what an expert such as yourself, thinks is the best example of McMurtry's work translated onto film-either the big screen or small. Hud? The Last Picture Show? Lonesome Dove? All were critically acclaimed. Maybe Terms of Endearment? I've never seen the latter so..."

Ethan Edwards, thank you for the compliment but in no way, shape or form to I consider myself an "expert" on either western novels or films. Hell, I'm still learning. wink

I grew up watching every movie I could at the two theatres in the very small town in which I lived. Didn't make much difference what kind they were: I loved movies. I also read many western novels of the pocketbook genre. There was no library in town so hard bound novels of any kind were hard to come by. Plus they were expensive.

I will say that of the hundreds upon hundreds of movies I have seen over many years, a lot of them were westerns, so have a couple of opinions about the genre.

Larry McMurtry is an excellent novelist and screenwriter. As for his best novel transposed to film, I believe there were several. Hud definitely was right up there at the top, as was The Last Picture Show. As for a modern story and film, Terms of Endearment was very well done and of course, it did not hurt that Jack Nicholson, who was in his prime, was the lead actor.

I am probably a bit prejudiced but The Last Picture Show is one of my very favorite McMurtry movies. It reminds me to this day of the very small town in which I grew up in north central Arkansas, where one day, the "last picture show" in which I had watched several hundred movies over the years, closed.

I thought Texasville a better novel than the movie. Of course, a movie is a radically collaborative effort so sometimes (often?), things and people making movies just don't mesh. The script can be absolutely brilliant and the movie a POS. That's show business. cool

I enjoyed his novel, Lonesome Dove, and enjoyed the mini-series but thought it needed some editing when Gus got to Nebraska. Seemed to really slow down the story in my opinion. I read Streets of Laredo but wasn't enthusiastic about it. Watched the mini-series but felt it was "pushed" and a bit contrived.

Those are my thoughts and opinion. I'm sure others might differ.

L.W.
I didn't think Texasville translated to the screen well at all. OTOH, Hud made a better movie than book. The Last Picture Show is just an excellent movie, but I can't really pretend to understand the generation it depicts. It is my generation, but I was born late. I just feel like most of the stuff he wrote after Lonesome Dove and Texasville, was contrived and for money. I have no problem with that, but the stories weren't as good. Their successes on the screen varies and isn't as dependent upon McMurtry anyway.

On Street of Laredo, I thought that the book was rushed. I felt like the Mini series was very well done and they tried. It just suffered from terrible miscasting. James Garner was way too old to be playing Call and Sissy Spacek was too old to play Lorie. Sam Shepherd as Pea Eye? Wth? Charlie Martin Smith as the ill fated dude was very good though. Ned Beatty as Judge Roy Bean? The whole casting effort was like a demented joke.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have no way of knowing this for sure, but it always seemed to me that McMurtry put a ton of thought and energy into writing Lonesome Dove and always intended it to be a stand alone book. I don't think he was thinking of sequels or prequels at all. Then, after the success of Lonesome Dove and the success of the miniseries, I'm sure the money people hit him up and had him start writing. Consequently, the rest of the books were not as well thought out and not nearly as well written. Still good stories, but just a bit too fanciful.

Unfortunately, all the follow on movies, such as Streets of Laredo, seemed to be rushed into production and I don't think they had the same budgets as Lonesome Dove and we ended up with sub-quality production. I do agree with you, Ethan, that the casting was a demented joke and hard to believe for the Streets of Laredo. The acting on the part of Sissy Spacek, Sam Shepherd, and Ned Beatty was pretty good, though. And whores might fall from the sky...but I doubt it! HA!

I did think the casting for Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon was pretty good as far as Call and McRae were concerned.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by test1328

I did think the casting for Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon was pretty good as far as Call and McRae were concerned.
I won't disagree but will say...a lot of people HATED the choice of David Arquette as Gus. I didn't watch the whole thing, but didn't see him doing a bad job. But...I think that the choice of actors who are primarily comedic in their tone wasn't as good a choice as DuVall who is primarily a dramatic actor who also can do well in comedies.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah, I recall that Arquette caught grief by being cast as the young Gus. However, I think most of that was through the inevitable comparison to Duvall's portrayal. Anyone trying to step into the character of someone previously portrayed by Robert Duvall would have a tough time. The other thing that struck me is that Arquette was trying to portray the same character that was 30 or more years younger, who did not yet have all of the experience or confidence of the character that Duvall played. Therefore, Arquette playing Gus as a bumbling, lovestruck teenager but yet very prideful, was pretty good in my opinion.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by shrapnel
[quote=Elkhunter49]It gets too hot here most of the time for anything but a straw hat. I never leave home without one. Great series, one of my all time favorites. [Linked Image]

My dad told me that no rancher would hire a guy that wore a straw hat or rolled his own cigarettes. You couldn't ever get any work out of them, if they weren't rolling a cigarette, they were chasing their hat...

I got some of the same advise from my dad. He told me the same thing but added that he woundn't hire a man with glasses either. He said they were always whiping the sweat out of their glasses! My dad ran a road construction crew thru Texas and New Mexico and was a hard man to work for. I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting on with him if he was still pushing a crew!!!!

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are forgetting about McMurtry's greatest literary achievement....................

Brokeback Mountain. grin wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, Aviator, 12 invisible), 1,531 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.