Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thinking of something a little unusual from the normal $150-300 scope I usually buy as a gift to me.
The VX R has kind of caught my eye.
I deer hunt sitting on a logging road with potential 300 yd shots. But the woods on both sides is really thick. I also "slow walk" hunt trying to move deer to my buddy's stands or for the possible "jump" shot. Having good optics to look into the woods and make out horns and not have the crosshairs get confused at dusk with branches and twigs would be a nice.
And my 59 year old eyes aren't what they used to be.
Seems like the dot could be real quick for walk hunting and dark woods.
I'm looking at the 2-7 vxr
the 3-9 w/windplex and cds
the 3-9 patrol.
What can you tell me about experience with these?
I know someone will chime in and say I should have bought a sfa 1-4 on the sale but I just didn't like the big turrets and thought I wanted a little more power than 4x.
So...if you've used these or have feedback I'd love to hear it.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like my 3-9 VX-R.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had both the 1.25x4 and 3-9x40 VX-R's. Still have a couple of the 3x9's. I can't say that they have been abused but so far they work well and have given no trouble. I wish the Firedot option could be available on some of the 1" VX-3's

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had a 3-9x50 for a while and really liked it. I only sold it because I needed the cash. The dot is quite fine and can be adjusted dimly enough so as to not affect your vision in low light. It makes low-light target acquisition a breeze and should fit your style of hunting just perfectly. The glass ranked right up there with the newer VX-3s, falling perhaps an insignificant amount behind in resolution near the edges. But as far as light transmission and affording a usable image in poor light, it is certainly a step ahead of the VX-2 series, which is a very good scope itself.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have the 3-9x40 and a 2-7x33, both with the Firedot duplex and they have definitely become my favorite scopes for low light hunting. I primarily use them night hunting for coyotes during the full moon phase. The reticle is thick enough that I don't even need the dot most of the time. However, it does come in handy on foggy/ hazy nights. I have put them through their paces hunting in temps down to -15 or so with no ill effects. Both have held zero through many miles of hikes, in and out of the truck 4-5 times a night. I'm buying another 3-9x40 in the next week or so.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Pretty tough to beat in lowlight situations

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a 4x12 VXR with the Firedot and CDS Dial on my heavy barrel R-AR15 in .223. It's my go to rifle at the Ranch for hogs and culling deer while driving around the Ranch. I really like the fact that you can adjust the brightness of the Firedot down really low, for evening or daytime use. It's really fast for target acquisition on running feral hogs.

I also like the feature it has which is kind of "sleep mode".
You set it and it goes off after about 5 minutes, then if you grab your rifle to shoot, it re-activates the Firedot at the last setting. Ive had mine for 3 years now, and I've yet to replace the battery. I'm very pleased with mine and highly recommend them to all my buddies. For about $550 bucks, it's one hell of a great hunting scope!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't have a VX-R, yet, but do have an AR Mod1 and can attest to the good design of the auto-switch and also to the usefulness of the lighted reticle concept, even in good light. The tiny spot of color draws your eye right to the sticking spot.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great glass, a best-buy, imho...
My wife has the 2-7X33mm Firedot duplex on her little .308 Montana, and she deals death with regularity around here for deer...especially in low light.

Leupyy really hit a homer with that glass--great for young hunters too, point and shoot. And was mentioned, the dot "sleeps" for max battery conservation, and the dot brightness adjustment is stellar.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by broomd
Great glass, a best-buy, imho...
My wife has the 2-7X33mm Firedot duplex on her little .308 Montana, and she deals death with regularity around here for deer...especially in low light.

Leupyy really hit a homer with that glass--great for young hunters too, point and shoot. And was mentioned, the dot "sleeps" for max battery conservation, and the dot brightness adjustment is stellar.

I've considered getting a 2-7 VXR for my 7-08 Montana. The 2-7 range is a favorite of mine. I wanted to see one in person first though. I haven't seen one yet. The local stores seem to only want to carry the Hubble scopes.

Our law doesn't specify a cut off time for deer hunting. It is only until dark, which leaves those who interpret that to mean completely dark, wanting nothing smaller than 50mm scopes.

IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I love mine with the FireDot duplex reticle.

Make your first shot your best shot!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by WyoHunter10
I love mine with the FireDot duplex reticle.

+1,

I have the 3-9x40, light on or off, the etched reticle is great.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (117LBS, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,860 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,730
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.