Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Since our Dear Leader wants to pass common sense gun laws, let's discuss what they should be.

My proposal: every 18 year old will undergo mandatory gun proficiency and safety training in rifle, pistol and shotgun. Minimum range time for every shooter of 100 rounds in each discipline, and must pass theoretical and practical minimum standards to remain eligible for federal benefits such as welfare, student loans, etc, etc.

I think that would be a fair start. Let's hear some others...

Sic Semper Tyrannis

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
-Enforce the current gun laws on the books, and sentence towards the top of the max exposure when convicted.

If you use a firearm in a violent crime, and are convicted, you should go to prison for a long time.

If you are a previously convicted FELON, and use a firearm in a violent crime, you should go to prison for a VERY LONG TIME.

Plenty of laws with teeth on the books, just need the District Attorneys and Judges enforce what they have.

Won't happen though, most see the GUN as Bad, not the Perp with a Gun as Bad.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
Since our Dear Leader wants to pass common sense gun laws, let's discuss what they should be.

My proposal: every 18 year old will undergo mandatory gun proficiency and safety training in rifle, pistol and shotgun. Minimum range time for every shooter of 100 rounds in each discipline, and must pass theoretical and practical minimum standards to remain eligible for federal benefits such as welfare, student loans, etc, etc.

I think that would be a fair start. Let's hear some others...

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I hear the call for "common sense" gun laws all the time. The people that call for them do not mean that at all. They want to take away your right to own firearms. It is nothing more than the proverbial camel's nose under the tent. The truth is, for the most part, gun laws are simply not needed. Shooting sports are remarkably safe, and legal gun ownership results in accidents at a VERY low rate. Realistically, legal gun owners DO have a lot of common sense, and are quite responsible and safe. Illegal gun owners are not particularly good at safety. I conclude, from that data set, that the gun is not the problem, and neither are people who would be likely to follow gun laws. The problem with gun crime seems to be criminals. If you really want to stop gun crime, go after the PEOPLE THAT DO IT. THAT seems like common sense to me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
To the Dems, "common sense" would be a giant magnet passing over everyones home.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Like Immigration, set up Sanctuary Cities for gun owners.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Because bearing arms is a Constitutionally protected element of national security like voting, the rules should be similar.

All you have to do is show up and claim to be eligible to buy one. No ID required.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's this baloney about mandatory training for 18 year olds? This is freaking America!

Optional firearm safety training starting somewhere around 6th or 7th grade in every school, continued as a mini course every year through graduation.

Why make the liberals take it? It would save lives from stupid accidents, but if the liberals want their kids to die stupidly than that's their choice.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4ager

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

So simple and to the point but so hard for so many to understand, especially the left.

NRA Patron Member
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Why make the liberals take it?

Because I have NEVER taken anyone out plinking or clay shooting that didn't change their mind about firearms. Lack of familiarity is our greatest enemy.

Get them trigger time, and many, most, will come to their senses.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Because I have NEVER taken anyone out plinking or clay shooting that didn't change their mind about firearms. Lack of familiarity is our greatest enemy.

Too noble imho. We're long past the point of converting anyone.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Well,...I'm not saying that it should be a law,...but I only load 18 rounds in any 20 round mags that are going to remain loaded for long periods of time.

B
B
Spot on. You can't appease the gun control crowd. Just look at any law passed
to "protect" the public. As soon as a law they push passes, they start pushing for more restrictions.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

It's still America, it's not right to "force" things on anybody.

Besides, with all their class mates doing it they'll eventually come around.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Well,...I'm not saying that it should be a law,...but I only load 18 rounds in any 20 round mags that are going to remain loaded for long periods of time.
I back one off of high caps myself. Who knows if you got the exact count right on a thirty rounder unless there are windows in it or its transparent. I might back two off on a fifty rounder. I load all seven in a standard capacity 45 auto mag though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Common sense gun laws? What is so hard to understand about shall not infringe. The second amendment isn't just about guns its about arms. They have been heavily infringing on us for a long time.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Define common sense. Is it a logical or emotional term when used by a democrat?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My proposal: every 18 year old will undergo mandatory gun proficiency and safety training in rifle, pistol and shotgun.

Not too different than the original purpose of the NRA - https://home.nra.org/about-the-nra/ and for that matter the CMP http://www.nssf.org/events/featurette/2012/0612-2.cfmadd CMP

My understanding is the GCA of 68 was what drove the NRA to move much more towards protection of our 2nd amendment rights.

Teddy Roosevelt agrees with you as do I.

“The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power…”

-Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by Pugs; 12/04/15. Reason: add CMP

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
My understanding is the GCA of 68 was what drove the NRA to move much more towards protection of our 2nd amendment rights.

You'd be wrong, though they are trying to erase that. While not directly supporting the legislation, the NRA president had this to say to NRA members:

"The measure as a whole appears to be one that the sportsmen of America can live with".

They also supported the ban on Saturday Night Specials.

It was in 1977 that the leadership of the NRA was basically booted out and one that directly supported the 2nd Amendment came in.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Pugs

You'd be wrong, though they are trying to erase that. While not directly supporting the legislation, the NRA president had this to say to NRA members:

"The measure as a whole appears to be one that the sportsmen of America can live with".

They also supported the ban on Saturday Night Specials.

It was in 1977 that the leadership of the NRA was basically booted out and one that directly supported the 2nd Amendment came in.
Thanks for telling it like it is.

This was posted on another site I frequent, earlier today in response to a local paper asking if San Bernardino made you support more gun control.

Sensible gun laws being passed would be immediate passage of nationwide Constitutional Carry, just like Kansas and reciprocity thereof between all states, possessions and territories. This in conjunction with immediate repeal of the 1968 GCA and any laws preventing former felons or other folks who have served their sentences and done their time from protecting themselves and their families from violence especially TERRORISM. Daily people die due to the infringement we have allowed our own government to perpetrate upon us in the forms of not recognizing our natural right to self preservation and protection utilizing the best tools available to that end. The President and Congress should immediately end their war on the people of the United States and guns and allow us to protect ourselves from scum sucking predators like the TERRORISTS who perpetrated the San Bernardino Massacre. Those who desire peace should prepare for war.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (ar33c9, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, anothergun, BB3, 6mmbrfan, 6 invisible), 1,365 guests, and 670 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,516
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.