Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM that is tough to compete with, but I did have Melvin convert a Colt Light Rifle into a 7x57 that I really don't want to part with.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by kingston
Having just gone through a very similar decision making process when choosing a lightweight SA rifle, I was influenced by the following:
1. I found the Nosler Rifles to be heavy and therefore not in the lightweight rifle class.
2. When searching Forbes Rifle I found numerous threads outlining quality and customer service complaints on here and elsewhere. I really wanted to have a rifle with Melvin's name on it. I've put this decision off for several years hoping the Forbes project would come around. In the mean time Kimber seemed to really get their act together. I don't have any first hand experience with Forbes Rifle. I just wasn't comfortable, especially seeing that I'd most likely need to order a rifle and have it transferred in through my LGS. I should state that the interactions I've had with Melvin Forbes at NULA have been very positive.
3. Three years ago, I had the opportunity to handle a Kimber Mountain Ascent in Wexford, PA. If the guys behind the counter had been just a smidgen less dickish, I'd have bought it on the spot. After waffling back and fourth, buying a CLR in 7mm Rem Mag to send to WV for Melvinizing, and hunting down a minty HLA in 30.06, I finally, two weeks ago, made the trip over to Elk County Arms and Ammo and bought a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 308. It's a tack driver and so far I couldn't be happier.

In the end the only choice for me was between NULA and Kimber.

So far first rate guys there at Elk County. What does your ascent weight fully scoped?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I looked a hole in a Kimber 7-08 at Sharp Shooters in Lubbock and finally bought it. Haven't shot it yet, but the first round of handloads is ready.

The way I see it, you get a stock that you'd easily pay $600 for elsewhere, a bad a s s CRF action that's super smooth, and a really fine trigger for $1100. If you have to rebarrell it, you're still money ahead in the long run.

As far as something comparable, that I know shoots well and have experience with, I'd say the Mark V ultralight. My friend sent me one to rig up, sight in and build a load for. It will stack .277 bullets under a nickel in remarkably long strings. It would get to 6 and sometimes 7 shots without stringing vertically, with sub half MOA accuracy. I offered $2K for it without the scope and he declined. I was in love. It is a great rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by tedthorn
My next $1300ish rifle may very well be a Nosler

Curious why. Is it a cartridge availability thing?

Nope.....they are just next in line for me

It's because I've owned 5 Kimbers.....I have 2 that will stay in my care

The other three I couldn't care less what happens to them......I have no use for a poor shooting rifle heavy or light

It's funny to hear that if you take shortactionstroker's Kimber fixes and apply to your rifle all will be good....shouldn't a $1200 rifle shoot without being fixed.....yes it should

Friends don't let friends buy Kimbers

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My problem and I am assuming here but others peoples problems, are dollar for dollar the kimber is the lightest gun on the market. Without having to do any work... Now that said if it doesn't shoot then it is no good. Lets face it the lightweight guns are not made for same hole accuracy.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought for years.....heck decades.....that a light rifle was all I ever wanted and bought and built them to hunt the "west"

One pound means nothing if the rifle likes to act like a skinny bitch diva

I look great.....I carry great and.....

Did I mention that I can pound 2 and 3" 100 yard groups all day long?

Like I stated before.....I have owned 5 and will keep 2

But I will buy no more Kimbers

FYI.....NOTE.....Kimber rifles are not accuracy tested and when they do shoot paper it is inside the abandoned indoor 50 yard rimfire range they used to accuracy test the K22 line and send the target info laminated with the guns paperwork.

Kimbers Customer service is so bad I won't even risk one of their 45ACP's.....nope....not again

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you like to tinker with rifles, the Kimber are an awesome value. If you don't like to tinker, you will be better off to pay the extra and call Melvin Forbes.

TANSTAAFL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
My next $1300ish rifle may very well be a Nosler

Curious why. Is it a cartridge availability thing?

Nope.....they are just next in line for me

Not to hijack the thread too much, but is there something Nosler offers that you can't get with a Howaguard and a McMillan of your choice, for less money?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm no fan of Howa or checkered fiberglass but to answer your question....No

But I prefer a 700 action in a Ti stock on a project rifle

The Nosler Patriot needs a blind magazine option and I would be more inclined to bite

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Go ahead and bash this answer if you like...a Savage 11 lightweight is 5.5lbs and if I had to bet on one or the other to shoot...also for the price of the Kimber you could probably buy the Savage AND a McMillan Edge.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why add a stock if the gun already shoots?

One constant over the years.....Savage makes a very accurate rifle at 1/4 the cost but they are not "sexy"

I had a Kimber Montana that I wanted to keep....badly

I pulled every trick in the book before sending it to a less demanding owner

On paper it was a perfect pack rifle.....but not on the paper that mattered to me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guess I'll weigh in...

For the money, there's no better value in the rifle world than the Kimber MT. The stock alone is worth the price of admission, let alone the svelt crf action, and finest factory rifle trigger made.

I've had right around 15 Kimber MT's. ALL OF THEM would shoot something moa or a bit better. All would group a broad variety of stuff in the 1.5 - 1.7" range.

However, getting to moa was not always easy. If I rigidly tried to dictate what brand/weight/shape bullet I wanted the rifle to shoot, I'd often be disappointed. If I was flexible, and experimented with a variety of bullets I could always find something that shot very well.

Point in case, I've had 2 Kimber 84M MT 257 Rob's. Neither shot the bullets I wanted them to shoot moa (110-120 grain bullets). However, both would shoot lighter bullets sub moa. Certainly that frustrated me, but it's a fools errand to try to force a rifle to accept something it won't. OTOH, they would easily group 1.5" with the heavier bullets, which is certainly good enough.

Here's my caveat to the above... I bed all my Kimbers, tang to end of barrel shank... whether they need it or not. I usually never even shoot them til they're bedded. Also the 84L's, I cut the barrels shorter. I find them too long/whippy, and there's no doubt shorter, stubbier barrels generally shoot better.

Would also add, I'm not convinced everyone's bench techniques is up to the lightweight Kimber MT's... I know on a given day mine isn't always. I think a lot of the complaining about MT's come's from folks that just can't shoot them. Not all, but certainly some.

At the end of the day a rifle that is sub 6.75lbs all-up weight is a specialized tool, made for backcountry/highcountry/backpack hunting. It's not an all-around rifle IMO/E. I certainly can see no reason to own one for sitting in a deer stand, or hunting out on the flats. For those applications, I like a heavier rifle with more barrel weight.

I just finished a companion for my MT 308; it's an M70 308 EW in a McMillan Hunters Edge with 3.5-10x40 on top. It weighs 1-lb 5-oz's more than the Kimber, and in many applications that additional weight is wanted and needed. It's a rifle I'll use antelope/open country hunting. Something in the 7.5 - 8lb all-up weight is more my idea of a true all-around rifle... Kimber MT's don't fit that category IMO.

YMMV

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not being able to choose common bullet weights would be a deal breaker for me. Spending $1200+ on a 257, spending $150 for various bullets to try, many hours experimenting, and ending up with a 6 mm Rem. A happy Dillonbuck? I don't think so.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never paid $1200 for a MT... most I've ever paid was $1100, and most were $1050 or less. NIB. My current 270 MT was $1000.

I get not wanting to experiment, but for a lot that's part of the fun... $150 for components is cheap entertainment.

If you want a consistent tack driver requiring no experimentation that is as physically appealing and has the build of the Kimber you'll be in a lot deeper than $1100... a lot deeper.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Go ahead and bash this answer if you like...a Savage 11 lightweight is 5.5lbs and if I had to bet on one or the other to shoot...also for the price of the Kimber you could probably buy the Savage AND a McMillan Edge.

Sorry, but it would still be dog azzed ugly. Even wrapped up in a McMillan... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I think you may be blowing this way out of proportion. There is no rifle that is immune to experimentation of which bullet weights they like. What if your rifle likes your ideal bullet weight right off the bat? My Kimber was that way. A $16 box of 150 grain Power Points are a sub 1"MOA out of my Montana. Done, now take it hunting and be happy.

Last edited by mystro; 12/06/15.

The Lord loves humility.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
I've never paid $1200 for a MT... most I've ever paid was $1100, and most were $1050 or less. NIB. My current 270 MT was $1000.

I get not wanting to experiment, but for a lot that's part of the fun... $150 for components is cheap entertainment.

If you want a consistent tack driver requiring no experimentation that is as physically appealing and has the build of the Kimber you'll be in a lot deeper than $1100... a lot deeper.

Good post Brad and a lot of truth to it.. The closest thing I have to a montana is a custom built on a pre 64 model 70 action. I have more than that kind of money in the rifle and I don't get anything more than a montana offers. In retrospect, the Montana would have probably been a better (more cost effective) way to go. Yes, I've been fondling some of the new Montana's at the LGS.. Finally somewhere locally has some!!!! Pretty nice rifles brad...I'll buy one some day. I will do as you suggest with the bedding and almost guarantee it to be a shooter when I'm done with it... Even with my crappy bench rest shooting technique... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not trying to get in a pissing contest. Never even had a Kimber. They do feel nice and seem well made, would like to find a montana used, and cheap. My comments were made based on the high quality claims, and the price. If one claims quality on a device, then that device should excell at its purpose. A rifle should fire, and it should be accurate. If it fails at either, it is not quality. By that standard a Savage may be better. Dam it hurt to type that.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mystro
I think you may be blowing this way out of proportion. There is no rifle that is immune to experimentation of which bullet weights they like. What if your rifle likes your ideal bullet weight right off the bat? My Kimber was that way. A $16 box of 150 grain Power Points are a sub 1"MOA out of my Montana. Done, now take it hunting and be happy.

You don't say, but probably a 308 Win?

I've had 3 (maybe 4 MT - can't remember) 308's... all would shoot sub moa. It's the no-brainer Kimber purchase. If you're not in the mood to experiment/fiddle, the 308 is the only way to go.

I think they'll shoot rocks moa.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know this has been discussed before. Since Brad mentioned it, anybody care to share benchers technique with lightweights?

Do or do not, there is no try.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 18,533 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,965
Posts18,539,778
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.