Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, loaded the vid on Youtube, turned the vid up to maximum 720p resolution on my 24" Samsung monitor, and slowed playback speed to 0.25x. The trace and impact on that second shot is still a left side of neck shot to me.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
John,

Beauty bull!

Just watched the video, scrubbing back and forth over the shots a few times. From the looks of things, it's really difficult to see the trace or impact on the first shot, due to the bull making it to the edge of the camera's FOV when the shot was released (pard took hands off the camera for a minute to work the cow call, I assume). In your photo, however, you can see what must be the first shot, and based on the angle of the photo it looks to be a high, slightly rear lung shot, just under the spine. As you say, a bit more lead wouldn't have hurt, but not a terrible shot. In the vid, the second shot was at a quartering toward and left presentation, and the trace showed the bullet hitting somewhere on the outside left of the neck area, which appears to be a flesh wound in the neck muscle. The third shot showed an impact that I assume was a bit further forward than intended, perhaps a bit too much lead on the walking bull in compensation for the first shot which hit a little further back than you wanted, and hit the front edge of the shoulder, a bit above the center line of the body. The shot must have come very close to the spine or hit it, since the bull's legs folded up immediately as it went down.

Sound about right? Any pics of the 2nd or 3rd shots on the bull?

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jordan,

I did the same thing, running the video several times, and it looked to me like the second hit, when the bull was more-or-less facing, was just inside the elk's left shoulder. Will also be interested to hear.

Jordan, JB.

The first hit, first shot was 3 ribs in front of the diaphragm and centered for elevation. This shot exited and was not survivable. I shot with 3 MOA of lead (center shoulder) but really 5 MOA would have been better.

The second hit, second shot landed a few inches inside of the mane. The bull was really quartering and the bullet went in to the chest and I found it under the hide behind the off side shoulder.

On the third hit, third shot the bull was stopping and I had to much lead. Bullet hit right below the spine and in front of the shoulders. Basically a neck shot.

Scott called the 2nd shot a horn shot because of branches falling off the bulls fronts. I was feeling a bit like a dummy in the video. grin

JB,

That bull was a bit tough but tasted fine even with the ruttng behavior. He was in great body condition and was still packing a decent amount of fat.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

Thanks for the additional info. That's where it looked like the second shot hit to me.

Also thanks for the info on the meat. What was the date?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
John Burns,

No smack talk, however we/I were discussing seeing our own splash/impacts while shooting sporter weight rifles, high power scopes, live targets and from odd or field positions. You claimed you have no issue with all of that, and then post a video where you are shooting a dedicated long range rifle, from tripod sticks, with a spotter and yet you couldn't/didn't read your own impacts or splash.

A 10lb gun or heavier with a 12-14x scope and muzzle break- yes someone who knows what they are doing can catch most impacts through the scope under those conditions.. A sub 8 pound rifle with 14x scope and no muzzle break in most BG rounds... No. Saying so is trying to BS people. Your own video shows that, or you would have known where you hit.

I've just bought this ATN Night Arrow 4 - 2 few days ago.
[Linked Image]

Can't wait to give it a try!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
John,

Beauty bull!

Just watched the video, scrubbing back and forth over the shots a few times. From the looks of things, it's really difficult to see the trace or impact on the first shot, due to the bull making it to the edge of the camera's FOV when the shot was released (pard took hands off the camera for a minute to work the cow call, I assume). In your photo, however, you can see what must be the first shot, and based on the angle of the photo it looks to be a high, slightly rear lung shot, just under the spine. As you say, a bit more lead wouldn't have hurt, but not a terrible shot. In the vid, the second shot was at a quartering toward and left presentation, and the trace showed the bullet hitting somewhere on the outside left of the neck area, which appears to be a flesh wound in the neck muscle. The third shot showed an impact that I assume was a bit further forward than intended, perhaps a bit too much lead on the walking bull in compensation for the first shot which hit a little further back than you wanted, and hit the front edge of the shoulder, a bit above the center line of the body. The shot must have come very close to the spine or hit it, since the bull's legs folded up immediately as it went down.

Sound about right? Any pics of the 2nd or 3rd shots on the bull?

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jordan,

I did the same thing, running the video several times, and it looked to me like the second hit, when the bull was more-or-less facing, was just inside the elk's left shoulder. Will also be interested to hear.

Jordan, JB.

The first hit, first shot was 3 ribs in front of the diaphragm and centered for elevation. This shot exited and was not survivable. I shot with 3 MOA of lead (center shoulder) but really 5 MOA would have been better.

The second hit, second shot landed a few inches inside of the mane. The bull was really quartering and the bullet went in to the chest and I found it under the hide behind the off side shoulder.

On the third hit, third shot the bull was stopping and I had to much lead. Bullet hit right below the spine and in front of the shoulders. Basically a neck shot.

Scott called the 2nd shot a horn shot because of branches falling off the bulls fronts. I was feeling a bit like a dummy in the video. grin

JB,

That bull was a bit tough but tasted fine even with the ruttng behavior. He was in great body condition and was still packing a decent amount of fat.

Thanks. That's about what I thought I saw- the trace led straight into the mane, but I suppose the quartering angle was a bit more than it appeared, and even the mane shot angled into the chest.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.