Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
163dm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Anyone have any experience with either one of these scopes on a Ruger No.1? Mainly, eye relief, mounting problems?????

I am looking at the Leica ERI 2-10x42 and the Leupold VX6 2-12x42. The scope will sit in Warne QD rings and be swapped between two guns a 7x57 and a 300H&H. My main concern with the Leupold VX6 is eye relief 3.80" which seems a little short. Whereas the Leica advertises 4" eye relief. I know that a leupold with 3.5" of eye relief will not work for me with these guns and I have no interest in offset rings. The general rule of thumb is 4" of eye relief with the Ruger No.1.

Based on the dimensions on their website, I think the Leica will work fine with regards to eye relief and mounting on a Ruger No.1. My only concern with the Leica is future support/warranty issues. I have no experience with their CS department, and of course it seems that you only hear of the bad experiences on the interweb. The other option is to order both scopes, examine in person, and return one scope.

What has been your experience?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have used a Leica ER scope on a Ruger Number 1 and found it a better fit from an eye length perspective. The glass is better on the Leica as well, though I doubt it would make any real difference in hunting (as in, maybe 60 seconds hunting light).

The other answer is to get the extended Ruger rings that move the scope a tad closer to the eye. IMO, that's the right answer...

Hunt Africa while you can
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
As to warranty, as you are the original owner that is no problem. I own 8 Leica products, zero problems.

As to Leica v Leopuld, that an apple to oranges comparison. Leica hands down. Now if you are going to compare to Zeiss that another matter.

Leica can get the ERi down to a "reasonable" price point as those scopes are made in their Portugal plant and not their Wetzlar, Germany Plant. The original ER scope are German made. The ER5 is USA made for Leica.

163dm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
What reticles do you guys have in your Leica's?

I had ruled out Zeiss due to their lack of eye relief(with the exception of their lower power scopes).

Last edited by 163dm; 12/07/15. Reason: spelling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You're missing the boat by not trying the 2-12 VX6 IMO.

washaltonj, just curious (seriously), by saying "Leica hands down", are you only referring to glass, or just what exactly?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
L-Ballistic in 4 Scopes.

Glass, and of course the Red Dot!

Leica has been making there own lens for well over 100 years, their camera lens are considered the world best. (I own a lot of Nikon Camera lens [Japan ones] that where considered excellent but still below Leica.) Zeiss on the other hand, licensed their lens design out to a lot of folks. For example, Hasselblad Cameras uses either Zeiss (which Hasselbland makes and labeled Zeiss) and Schneider.

The premium German lens makers are: Zeiss, Leica, Schnider, Rodenstock.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 12/08/15.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ok thanks. Interesting though that a VX6 tested as high as any glass ever tested by MD in his own optics tests. I've never owned a Leica scope, but a VX6 is the most user friendly of any scope I've ever seen, and I've seen most high end and mid level stuff in the field. But hey, I'm a big fan of people using whatever they want to.

I do question your statement about the lensmakers though....what about Schott, S&B ?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You better compare the two for yourself. I closely looked at Leica at SHOT last year, and I put VX6's on all my guns. You very well may want to go with Leica, but you may be surprised.

Brad Dana
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Getting the scope further back gives more flexibility on mounting for a #1. I normally use Ruger's offset 1" rings on mine. AFAIK, no one is making an offset 30mm ring for the Ruger #1. EGW (and possibly others) makes an offset base to replace the 1/4 rib that allows the rear rings to be a little further back.

http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=747

And Leatherwood makes a picatinny rail that clamps directly on the Ruger bases, and likewise allows more flexibility in ring & scope mounting.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...atinny-style-scope-base-ruger-no-1-matte

Of course you can argue that a Pic rail looks like crap on a #1. I think I might try the Leatherwood, but after deciding on which parts of the rail were used, I'd machine away the unused slots, to clean up the appearance.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

163dm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
It sounds like I need to order both scopes, evaluate and send one back.

Tex n Cal - Thanks for the info regarding the rails. I was not aware that EGW made a rail for the No.1. Unfortunately, according to their website their rail will only fit B and S profile barrels. So my 1A (7x57) would have to stick with ruger rings. I agree that leatherwood rail would look ugly as sin mounted on top of the ruger quarter rib. EABCO also makes a pic rail that mounts over the quarter rib.

I think I will stick with my original plan. Warne QD rings and roughly 4" of eye relief so that I can share this scope between the two rifles. This scope is a significant investment, and I want to be able to use it on either rifle. I think either scope I choose will look a little large mounted on the 1A (7x57). But I can live with that for now.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (204guy, 160user, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,960
Posts18,499,168
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.