Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Any cur or Fiest hunters on here

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up a 5 year old Blackmouth Cur gyp in Missouri last month that's supposed to be awesome but I haven't taken her out yet. The leaves are hittin' the ground pretty good now & I'm off work so I'll take her huntin' soon.

I had a male Catahoula named True Boy when I was a kid that was the bomb! The only thing wrong with him was that he'd run you to death by treeing on one end of the woods and then racing across to the other end to tree again, but we were young and didn't care. My gyp Jade is said to hunt pretty close. I gotta get her in the woods.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I hunt a Black Mouth Cur. CRAZY on squirrels. I could never get him out enough after dark to get him started on coon. I'm not much of a night person.
[Linked Image]

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had leopard and mountain curs personally and hunted behind more of the same plus a blackmouth cur.

All were squirrel crazy and good, but close hunting, coon dogs. one of mine and a few that friends have owned were excellent turkey dogs. They also make loyal companions that are willing to please.

The 2 year old Mountain cur I have now is a great squirrel dog and holds his own on coon and bear. He is also a great family pet and house dog.

A good Cur is hard to beat!

Last edited by Dude270; 12/10/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Mtn. Cur...don't really hunt Squirrels but she does so I shoot one out for her once in a while....

[Linked Image]

She's a great dog though....death on Coon...trees her own Cat when we can find one...and sleeps on the foot of the bed....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
our mostly black mouth curr is 22 of 23 on finding dead/wounded deer...

I"m impressed with his nose.

Heck on mice around the pasture.

Sleeps in bed....

Just loves to please!

Does not like squirrels, IE has caught a couple and catches birds in the yard too.. has figured out he has an advantage if he cranks up around the corner and comes around the house corner full speed... gives him a speed/surprise advantage at the feeders.. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Never hunted with a squirrel dog, dunno why. Always wanted a decker but ended up with mutts.

Robster, what's in the holster?

Ella

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ella, that is my small game rig. I use it for rabbit and squirrel hunting. It is a Thompson Encore with a .45/.410 barrel. Works great as a .410 shotgun on small game. Not real interested in killing a lot of game so it makes it a little more challenging and you have to pick your shots on rabbits allowing the dogs to work the rabbit more.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Robster
Do you have a 410 with the choke to get better patterns and longer range? Thanks for your time. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Gotcha. Thought it was some kind of long barreled .22. Looks handy for bunnies in the briars--but maybe too challenging for me.

Ella

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It has a screw in choke that straightens and tightens up the shot. the barrel is rifled right to the choke so spirals to the end then tightens up and straightens out. very easy to shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think hunting squirrels with a dog would be an absolute hoot! Though it won't be near the top of the priority list, I'm planning on seeing if the pudelpointer I pick up on Sunday can be taught to be a bit 'squirrely'. They are supposed to be versatile... laugh

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Robster there is an article in Fur Fish and Game about hunting with rigs like yours. The author is from NY also

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[Linked Image]Untitled by Chris Jamison, on Flickr

This is Ellie, my Decker. She catches them in a the yard on a regular basis...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I read it paddlejon, good article. nice to see i'm not the only one out there hunting that way!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Bigd7378, 35, big_g270, 7mm_Loco, blackhawk44, 7 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,446
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.