Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have been using a G15 for several years and it has been great.

Just don't use it out in the rain for very long because it is a royal bitch to disassemble and dry out.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Best thing you can do Matt regarding cameras is after you buy one, never read another thing about cameras ever again. Well till it breaks anyway. Every 3 months, 50 new models come out and they are all vastly superior to the previous.

Yes Sir, I can see hard won wisdom in that recommendation...(laughing and planning to heed that advice)

Actually own a book titled The Paradox of Choice that kind of sums up how having unlimited choices is really not all that we think it is.. Turns out to be a hell of a chore in the end...imho & fwiw.

Regards, Matt Garrett

[video:youtube]https://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice?language=en[/video]

Pretty interesting stuff and how you can make a living watching guys argue about riles....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Matt, the Canon G12-G16's are just not in the same league as the Sony RX100 I-IV's, decent though they may be.

The Canon G12-16s have a substantially smaller sensor (1/1.7) than the Sony RX's 1-inch sensor, as well as fewer MP's. Sensor size is one critical component that separates the bulk of P&S's from larger Micro 4/3 and DSLR cameras. Sensor size, MP's, lens quality... all go to image quality.

The unique beauty of the Sony, apart from its outstanding Zeiss lens and substantial MP's, is its large 1-inch sensor. The only compact P&S Canon makes that competes with it is the PowerShot G7X, but I prefer the Sony. And yes, the Sony's video is outstanding.

Here's the place to start that investigation...

https://www.google.com/search?q=powershot+g7x+vs+sony+rx100&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Sensor sizes for comparison:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Brad,
I appreciate the footwork, however, I found an RX100III at Overstock.com for $649.95 and pulled the trigger last night. I know I could have spent less with a I or a II, however, I need the camera for the holidays and that is roughly $150 off of any other price I've seen for that model. Whether it gets here in one piece or not is another question. We shall see...

I came close to buying from Crutchfield as they give you 60 days to use the camera and return it unharmed for a refund or an exchange. That said VA taxes and their $150 premium on the RX100III was a bit to much in the end. Suppose I will see if I made a mistake in a month or two...

Much obliged to Everyone...

Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a great deal.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you Sir. I hope it turns out to be. I have no illusion that the weak link in this whole endeavor is not me. I've rarely taken the time to learn to use ANYTHING to it's full potential. That said I see myself losing photo ops with my family, dogs, farms, etc. that just float by unnoticed unless you are able to freeze them for a fraction of a second. The unfortunate part is that I've started late, however, it is no doubt better than perpetually starting next "year" that never comes...

Merry Christmas to you and yours..

Regards, Matt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
Brad,
I appreciate the footwork, however, I found an RX100III at Overstock.com for $649.95 and pulled the trigger last night. I know I could have spent less with a I or a II, however, I need the camera for the holidays and that is roughly $150 off of any other price I've seen for that model. Whether it gets here in one piece or not is another question. We shall see...

I came close to buying from Crutchfield as they give you 60 days to use the camera and return it unharmed for a refund or an exchange. That said VA taxes and their $150 premium on the RX100III was a bit to much in the end. Suppose I will see if I made a mistake in a month or two...

Much obliged to Everyone...

Matt.

Overstock often sells grey market cameras and doesn't disclose that... yours will likely come without a USA warranty, hence the price.

I buy from reputable retailers like Cameraland or B&H.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad--that's a good point.

Also I might mention that, for anyone buying a grey market Nikon camera or lens, not only will Nikon US not warranty it, but they will not even WORK on it if you offer to pay them.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With cameras, there is a saying.....".if it sounds to good to be true"......it don't have a USA warranty..... grin Just went through all this with a G16 after seeing all the ads on ebay with prices $50-$100 less than B&H or CL. NOT ONE had a Canon USA Warranty. Every one stated FULL Warranty.....USA Dealer......USA Warranty.....etc etc

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
smile

Yes, buyer beware. Lots of people buying the grey market stuff. And maybe most of them never have to obtain warranty or post-warranty service. Nikon US has their west coast service center less than a 30 minute drive from me. That, and the fact that independent camera shops have badly screwed things up for me in the past, have taught me the true value of buying legit.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anymore, grey market = trouble. Years back it wasn't as big a deal.

Last grey market camera I bought was a Nikon FM in 1983... bought it in NYC over the counter. Thing is, like Leica, Nikon's from that era don't need warranty work. My son just graduated from film school yesterday and used that same Nikon FM in some of his classes... still going strong.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
...like Leica, Nikon's from that era don't need warranty work...

Even if they are likely to make it through the warranty period, they will still eventually need a CLA (clean, lube & adjust), which I would prefer done by the manufacturer. Of course Nikon (and others) probably stopped carrying parts for old cameras decades ago. My primary camera is still the F3.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My '81 F3, that I bought used in 1999 as senior in high school, is still going strong but I have had it CLA'd twice. Like anything mechanical, if you use it you must maintain it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Brad,
Thank you for the heads up. Bastard shipped so I have to wait for it to arrive and send it back. They are covering shipping both ways...

I'm beginning to lose my sense of humor on this whole camera deal. I called B&H and got a slick Yankee with a package that was put together at the speed of light and had no individual prices. Do believe I am going to call Cameraland. Called Doug to begin with, however, they put me through to another guy who said to forget the RX100s and look at Olympus Stylus... Nice camera but NOT what I wanted... Think I'm going to call and insist on talking to Doug first and see what we can work out...

I'll be damned if I am not COMPLETELY SICK of the entire camera concept by now. I will never again feel like I am playing 40 questions when a guy is unsure about a $3500 plus Schmidt Bender. A $1000 worth of Sony and accessories has about put me into a pseudo meltdown... I should have never canceled the first order.

As a matter of fact I can order from Crutchfield tomorrow and have it Tuesday free shipping and One day delivery in Virginia. I get 60 days to use the camera, and if it is to much I can send it back and replace it with a III or a II or a I...

What a year to give up drinking and to go on a diet... If this does not totally suck it will have to do until Hillary Clinton is elected...

Regards, Matt.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Matt--perhaps you are rushing this a bit too hard. Take your time to perform proper due diligence so you will be certain to get just what you want. It is true that whatever you choose will be obsolete within a year or so. Can't worry about that. But take the time it takes.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
pal,
Believe this or not, however, I've been reading and quizzing compact camera dealers and enthusiast for two months. I have actually found it fairly difficult to find a store with the RX100IV in stock and it never occurred to me at the time to buy one of the older models. Brad's post, to say nothing of the many other opinions that i greatly appreciate rang true. Having been royally hosed by Leica on optical updates on binoculars that WERE NOT UPDATES, but a repackage and a $800 gift to the sausage eating kraut who built them, should have made me suspicious...

Here is my take on this entire thing. I have been putting this purchase off for 10 years and I don't want to think how many moments with my farther(8/08') or my brother(3/09') to say nothing of my labrador Sam(1/13') I totally MISSED. I know that if I would have bought a G16 or an RX100IV or III or II or what the hell ever I would have more pictures to remember the closest people in my life by... Touchy subject AND THE PROBLEM has been my problem with having the "best" whatever the hell that is...

My father came to Colorado in September or October of O5' to go through Grand Teton and Yellowstone. I took time of from The School of Trades and we made a quick trip WITH his second wife who has, at most, two IQ points running in a circle to generate heat. THAT DID NOT stop her from this constant equine fecal matter from the back seat that largely wanted me to help her to the edge of the falls... Bitch(hate that word but so fits her)NEVER shut her mouth for a moment to enjoy the splendor. There was no cutoff from a low room temperature IQ and her mouth.

Told dad we would go back, just he and I, when I went home. Moral of the story I was ready to plunk $5K in Canon L Lenses and a decent body down for our once in a lifetime trip. Had a girl that proved to be an issue to leave and hence we went the southern route.

Dad got home and had a couple decent years until he found out he was riddled with more stage iv cancers that I care to admit. I would tell him we were going to make that trip back to Yellowstone to buoy his spirits... Ask me how much I would have paid for that $5K of gear and going back when I said we would go back while he was healthy? Twice? Maybe even three times... Priceless.

Moral of the story of this is that I am sick of dicking around with cameras and I am going to buy a G16 or an RX100 of some flavor from a stand up dealer and call it money well spent. Some times you have to pay to play. I can't tell you how much I wish I had done this 15 years ago... Priceless.

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

Last edited by Matt in Virginia; 12/13/15.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Buy a Canon G16 from B&H, take advantage of the awesome rebate and nearly free Canon Pixma Pro 100 Printer package, and go out and take pictures--then print them. That way after all the computers crash you'll still have prints to look at.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
When you talk to he guys at Cameraland, be sure to ask for the Campfire discount. As I remember, it was 10% off my Fuji and accessories.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't let perfection get in the way of good enough. I have a small Panasonic Lumix that easily fits in a pocket and takes rather nice pictures. Maybe if they were put side-by-side to the Canon or Sony you could tell a difference, or maybe in a particular situation such as low light. But you'd never felt you missed a memory.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag.

Good thread. Thanks to all

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,024 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,760
Posts18,495,496
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.