Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
with the barrels chewed out at 1000+.

Thats a lifetime of deer hunting, and a number I'll take. With other calibers in house to plink with, the 257 Wby could be for pure hunting enjoyment.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's my favorite caliber for deer. I can tell you that I've never had a deer take a single step after being shot with one at ranges from fifty to just a bit over 350. The little 100gr Hornady Interlock holds together remarkably well, given the speeds and of course pass throughs are not there at the shorter ranges and a bot more meat damage on the shoulders. I've since switched to the TTSX and I always get pass throughs but the same DRT effect.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
guys I have spent many days and years developing my 257 weatherby handloads in about 10 different type of rifles some factory guns some custom guns.sure the custom guns usally shot the best, have noticed some Remington bolt rifles don`t like higher pressures, the old Winchester model pre-64 does and ruger number 1`s seem to handle the most pressure. I have had a manufacture of ammo test my load and says for sammi specs I am at max but still safe. I have killed a lot of animals with my load and my son has too. we use as I said before 100 gr. swift a-frame bullets and shoot a velocity of 3800 fps. the 257 weatherby is just one heck of a flat shooter killin round , I own all other cartridges mention and many more, but my go to rifle for deer is always my ruger number 1 in 257 weatherby . now is it the best cartridge out there to shoot deer with ? maybe -maybe not ? many of us just like this cartridge a lot and really don`t care who doesn`t like it ,but you can bet the 257 weatherby will be in my deer stand and will always go west when I hunt deer too !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pete53
guys I have spent many days and years developing my 257 weatherby handloads in about 10 different type of rifles some factory guns some custom guns.sure the custom guns usally shot the best, have noticed some Remington bolt rifles don`t like higher pressures, the old Winchester model pre-64 does and ruger number 1`s seem to handle the most pressure. I have had a manufacture of ammo test my load and says for sammi specs I am at max but still safe. I have killed a lot of animals with my load and my son has too. we use as I said before 100 gr. swift a-frame bullets and shoot a velocity of 3800 fps. the 257 weatherby is just one heck of a flat shooter killin round , I own all other cartridges mention and many more, but my go to rifle for deer is always my ruger number 1 in 257 weatherby . now is it the best cartridge out there to shoot deer with ? maybe -maybe not ? many of us just like this cartridge a lot and really don`t care who doesn`t like it ,but you can bet the 257 weatherby will be in my deer stand and will always go west when I hunt deer too !

You "Lucky" Kchunt...Santy Claws brought you (6) boxes of Stupid and you opened them all. Congratulations?!? Laughing!

Firstly,do "tell" about your "days and years" of Load Development in regards to the 257Wby. I ASSURE you,it will be funnier than fhuqk! Hint.

Secondly, do "tell" about your "sammi specs" Delusions. Nevermind that it's still SAAMI there dumbfhuqk. Hint.

Thirdly,do "tell" about how you make "pressure determinations" in "various rifles",along with your "sammi specs" and given the greenlight on those margins,how the Ruger was the "winner". Spare NO "details",as this will be EPIC fhuqking hilarity. Hint.

Fourthly,do "tell" about how after both "days and years" of relentless "development",you lost a bet fhuqking big enough to be able to convince yourself that a 100gr .318BC bullet was "THE Grail". Spare NO "details",as this will be EPIC fhuqking hilarity. Hint.

Fifthly,do "tell" about said rifle's "particulars",to include barrel make/type,bore diameters and length,along with throat geometry "nuances". Double dog dare to dangle pics of the pieces of fhuqking schit. Spare NO "details",as this will be EPIC fhuqking hilarity. Hint.

Sixthly,do "tell" who this "manufacture of ammo" was,that granted these Delusions. Embellish as you must and use as much Imagination and Pretend as you dare/need. Spare NO "details",as this will be EPIC fhuqking hilarity. Hint.

Seventhly,do "tell" about the "trevails" of The Stand and how those grueling demands factored into your "days and years" of unparalleled "research and development". Spare NO "details",as this will be EPIC fhuqking hilarity. Hint.

Eigthly,do "tell" about the mount base/rings and glass selection,which adorn these heralded Death Rays. Spare NO "details",as this will be EPIC fhuqking hilarity. Hint.

Looking as much forward to the Silence,as I am more Excuses and outright bullschit fhuqking lies...though in no particular order. Hint. Laughing!

Now back to Reality.

For fhuqking conversation a S/A 700 based Brux 23" .236" bore 6-284 will scoot a .547BC at 3350fps. You'll haveta pardon such things ACTUALLY existing. Hint.

They look like this. I'd just shot an Otter in the head with it at 680yds.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pardon my groovin' on the colors.

[Linked Image]

As compared to a 22" Brux .236" 243AI and like weight projectiles at 3200fps and more magfed smooches. Pardon such things existing. Hint.

[Linked Image]

On the brightside,you can match S/A 6-284 performance on a L/A 700. .236" Krieger AMU-ish here,with DBM magfed smooches.

[Linked Image]

Anywhoo...it took (3) presses of the trigger and a "whopping" timeframe of less than 5-minutes,to arrange said load(.547 BC at 3350fps ala '200's,'22,a smooch and false shoulder finite headspace control) in the 6-284.

Assumin' an arbitrary 200yd zero for your "sammi special" at 3800fps with PingPong Balls and the cited short action,the short action has cut the 450fps velocity "advantage" to a paltry 9fps at the 300yd line. Though of course,nine fhuqking feet a second might really be sumptin',in a stand?!? Fhuqking laughing! Hint.

In fairness,the long action Magnum and it's extry 20grs of powder and 5grs less boolit weight,which yields that initial 450fps "advantage"...do ALMOST shoot a full one-inch flatter at the 400yd line with like zero. Although the short action drifts less starting within the 50yd line,then glaringly magnifies same by drifting but 59.7" at the 1000yd line,as compared to your sammi decade delusion's 118" at same,in like 10mph full value. Cheer up,the short action is "only" arriving the scene 157fps faster at the 400yd line. Fhuqking laughing! Hint.

At the 1000yd line the short action has CRUSHED the 450fps initial launch "advantage" and swung the pendulum the other way,to arrive 585fps faster for a 1035fps gross yield. Hell,but on the REALLY brightside,the sammi whammy does have NEARLY a full 50 foot lb of "energy" advantage at the 200yd line. Fhuqking laughing! Hint.

Best part is...all of it reliably sails over your pointy heads and sticks in the roof of your stand. Laughing!

Be sure to "tell" me about your 6-284's and 6-06's too. Laughing!

Now if only food for fhuqking thought,the 243AI will scoot them slickery 90 Skinners at 3500fps and with a like 200yd zero(or ANY other),slaps the sammi whammy fhuqking silly. 'Course nothing from Swift can begin to hang in the Precision Department either,if only for more conversation,that is beyond your means,abilities and comprehension to savvy. Hint.

There ain't too many Stupid Fhuqks that are STUPID enough,to "brag" about schleppin' a long action belted rifle and a long spout,just to be a distant second fiddle to a .473" short action round and it's magfed smooches. Congratulations?!?

Be sure to "tell" me more,as that was a very GOOD talk. Please know,that I will happily purchase from you,a video of you trying to tie your shoes and/or trying to sneak up on a glass of water. Cash on the barrel head,being given. Hint.

Laughing!

Wow +P++!

I just took a bow..........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow, did somebody just open the door to the squirrel cage? crazy

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll feign my "surprise",that yet another Whining Clueless Kchunt took time to skirt ALL things The Rifle.

Please find me "mistaken"...it WILL be funnier than fhuqk. The only thing you Stupid fhuqks shoot is your mouths and Imagination. It is impossible to trump the inherent oblivious hilarity of The Headstamp Gang,as they brazenly schlep STUPIDITY to new places,in order to make a "stand" that Stupidity ain't act,but rather a plight.

Do not let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt and do not "forget" pics,as you savagely go for the throat without "mercy". I remain torn on which is funnier,the Silence or the Excuses?!?

Bless your heart.

Hint.

Laughing!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll play. *grins*

3.1 Broughton tube, no jump.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hell of a deer, sir.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
In fairness,the long action Magnum and it's extry 20grs of powder and 5grs less boolit weight,which yields that initial 450fps "advantage"...do ALMOST shoot a full one-inch flatter at the 400yd line with like zero.

So would you say.. the 243 with 90s and 257Wby with 110s is a tie game for hunting 400 yards and under?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Hell of a deer, sir.

WOW!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'Kane,

You just went and fhuqked up her sammi whammy....by losing the leap.(grin)

Boolit? Speed? Brass? Powder? ES/SD? COAL? Schit glass is a given...what's the mounting system? Where's it zero'd? Spare no details!(grin)

I hate leetle pics and cain't make out any fhuqking details,but it could be a KS-ish 700 ADL,as a #3 plugs that landing quick. I never exceeded OEM contours in any of mine(Customs in 25-06,25-06AI and 257Wby).

Did it ever come close to hoppin' the fence?!?.................(grin)

WhoreHey,

Get a chance to shoot your highly touted 7Mag at a Critter yet?

Didn't think so.

Here's hopin' you believe in Reincarnation,so you can get some licks in on the next try.

Bless your heart!

Oopsie...don't "forget" about your Imaginary Pretend Ignore and that you "can't read" this.

Laughing!...............

OutdoorDumbAss,

You STUPID fhuqks cite a boolit's "weight",like it even fhuqking matters. Sweetie,what matters is it's placement,integrity and form. Hint.

Here's hoping you are fhuqking STUPID enough to quip something about SD too. Laughing!

Were I to shift my brain to the lowest gear possible,so as to TRY and narrow the gap betwixt your highest gear...I'd surmise that a Fhuqking Do Nothin' Texan would get giddy about a .418BC .257" 110gr AccuBomb as her Trump Card?!?

Will that piece of fhuqking schit boolit in a 257Wby,offer terminal performance advantages over a 90gr Skinner in what I assume you were whining about in a SAAMI 243Win?!? Not no...but fhuqk no. The Skinner will outdig it and reliably.

Will that 90 Skinner stack schit dead at Flame throwin' distances? Yep.

Will that 90 Skinner stack schit dead at a paltry 400yds? Yep

Will it do it with less recoil,an extry round in the belly,in a shorter receiver,much shorter barrel,much less powder,superior handling parcel,less a belt and an increase in Precision and reduction in SD/ES? Well fhuqk yes,you ignorant kchunt.

Just who in the fhuqk,dresses you?!?

Wow +P++!.................

'1,

You suck a mean ass. Must be a Texan.

Congratulations?

Laughing!...................

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for your input. Good to chew on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
'Kane,

You just went and fhuqked up her sammi whammy....by losing the leap.(grin)

Boolit? Speed? Brass? Powder? ES/SD? COAL? Schit glass is a given...what's the mounting system? Where's it zero'd? Spare no details!(grin)

I hate leetle pics and cain't make out any fhuqking details,but it could be a KS-ish 700 ADL,as a #3 plugs that landing quick. I never exceeded OEM contours in any of mine(Customs in 25-06,25-06AI and 257Wby).

Did it ever come close to hoppin' the fence?!?.................(grin)

laugh laugh laugh

We cut a hole in the fence to him out.

100gr TSX / 73gr R22 / 3640 / COAL 3.190 / WBY brass / ES-8 and called it good. X250

I'm quite partial to the KS but the landing/contour you cited is the reason for the Bansner.

Glass is VXIII 3.5x10 in Talley's. whistle

WWP53D
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
100gr TSX / R22 / 3640

Those are some nice, deer killing numbers.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hell of a deer, SKANE.

Funny how folks painfully debate an inch or two trajectory or 1200 vs 1800 ft/lbs of energy at 400 yards. I'd be willing to wager a large sum that no whitetail or mule deer walking the earth will be able to tell you the difference in what killed them if you place a 90 grain Scirocco at 3250 from a 243 WIN or a 100 grain Scirocco at 3575 from a 257 Weatherby where it is supposed to go, whether it is 50 yards or 450. And saying that X bullet with a .xxx BC is better is nothing but gibberish. Bang all the steel at 1000 or explode Pepsi cans at 600 that you want, or wax on about dialing at 1500 yards, but cleanly killing animals at realistic yardages is another chat.

Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
In fairness,the long action Magnum and it's extry 20grs of powder and 5grs less boolit weight,which yields that initial 450fps "advantage"...do ALMOST shoot a full one-inch flatter at the 400yd line with like zero.

So would you say.. the 243 with 90s and 257Wby with 110s is a tie game for hunting 400 yards and under?

"One man with courage makes a majority."

Hank
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Used a 90 Skinner once in a .240. Chest shot a WT doe at a hundred yds or so. Liquefied the chest cavity, even had corn floating around in the goop. Solid chest hit, not even close to the diaphragm.

Clean up was such a mess, never again used that bullet on a WT. May be OK at .243 speeds but I don't have a .243, the .240 is my only 6mm.

Was a DRT, BTW...

DF

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Fine, fine.

243AI it is.

22in barrel.

Gotta order some 90 Skinners.

Now what powder/primer to push those slippery pills to 3400?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Don't let the blowhard talk you out of what You want. 20 grains of powder doesn't cost much if you want to burn it.
The money he spent on rifles in his pictures would buy you more powder than you'll shoot in a lifetime.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'Ag,

The only thing for certain about you "hard chargers",is that when it's all said and done...there will have been a fhuqk of a lot more said,than done.

Bless your heart.

None of this schit is Rocket Surgery and no amount of Whining will change the FACTS in regards to Today's .257" projectile offerings,as compared to bore sizing on either side of same. There is simply nothing in the ranks,that will let it hang with others and for it to even come close,one must shovel copious amounts of added propellant and concession,to still be fhuqking second fiddle. Hint.

Though many are seemingly convinced,that added decibels,increased recoil levels and reduced mag capacity...equate to improved terminal affects,which sure as fhuqk is NOT the case. Pun be intended. Hint.

Now if the only salient points your pointy head was able to gather,was to sail off into the sunset with a fresh 243AI build to squirt 90 Skinners,you are even a DUMBER Fhuqk than I "credited" you for and I had the needle pinned on FULL Fhuqking Retard. Hint.

The Skinner was cited as an interim mainstay,due Manufacturer dumbfhuqkery,which "offers" 243Win's chambered by more than a few in only a 1-10" RPM. Stability is a function of length,not weight and that Skinner is the best pitch in that schitty twist rate. An OEM SAAMI 243Win Montucky will easily best 3350fps with same ala '17,moly,Lapooey 308 false shoulders and a 200 fueled smooch in da' box. If only as plainly cited prior. Hint.

Everyone with 13 IQ Points or better,easily gathered that 105's are where it's at in said bore sizing,as there are a host of splendid projectiles ripe for the pickin' in that realm. To do so will take a slow 9" or better RPM and both Big Green and Ruger happily provide same over the counter,with throats dimensioned in accords to mag confines. Ruger tosses the most favors,due it's increased COAL latitude in direct comparison and greater opportunity to chase lands down the road. Hint.

A POS Ruger Boat Paddle 243Win will slap a 257Wby around,due simply to boolits. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Given a choice in a 9" or greater RPM spout,it's ALWAYS gonna be 105's over a 90. That rugged reliable 105's abound,grant a .530BC and are 20 Clams per 100,do not compromise the equation. Hint.

They dig/exit and do Critters NO fhuqking favors,whether near or far. Only 550yds here.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I realize this is all for naught,as you are talking out your ass and well devoid the means,ability or comprehension to follow suit. Hint.

Luckily for you,Imagination and Pretend are free...so you can afford to "contribute".

Congratulations?!?

Laughing!...............

'Kane,

I reckon good wire cutters are one of the first things you boys toss in your pockets.(grin)

Unfortunately,I was never able to get the 100X to go that slow in any of my 257Wby's...though my 25-06AI liked the Blue Meanies right at 3600fps on the nose. Shot bajillions of 'em in all of my 25-284's(22,23 and 24") at 3400fps or better.

The KS is a right proper fair to middlin' handle and do nice thangs,as long as you don't poke too much recoil into them(frail tangs on mine at 25oz). Were I starting over and trying to fill a L/A KS handle,it'd be in a 22" MR contour 1-8" 6-06,wearing DD's and a 6x MQ. It's sub 6Mils to the 1000yd line from a 250yd zero,10 Mils is 1275yds and 5Mils of 10mph full value wind transpires at the 1800yd line.

As an aside,how you's steerin' them lazy 100X's? Reticle? CDS? BDC? The Force? Or do you have Strategic Haybales set up,so you never have to contend anything beyond zero?(grin)

This schit is all "new" to me.

Laughing!..................

'330,

For starters,it's tough to get horned up about ANY Swift boolits. Hint.

Despite your being devoid the paltry faculties to realize same,not all things is equal. Hint.

Boolits matter more than a smidge,in both their relative mettle and aero form. Hint.

You may find it a touch more than just a little unsettling...so BRACE yourself,but I have killed a Critter at more than one distance,with more than one chambering and more than one boolit. You could not begin to fhuqking fathom the carnage,number of rifles,chamberings,twist rates,throat geometries or rolls of tape to just cover them muzzles. Hint.

"Tell" me more,I assure you it WILL be fhuqking funny! Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.................

'farmer,

Might you be hinting that projectile selection do matter?!?

Jeezus Fhuqk...no schit?!?

Wow +P++!....................

'7,

You tell her!

Laughing!

Who dresses you STUPID Fhuqks?!?

I'll feign my "surprise",that even someone as fhuqking STUPID as you,KNEW better than to try to say anything in particular about The Rifle. Always entertaininger than fhuqk,to have you Do Nothing Kchunts wax eloquent on all the things you almost did,the wares almost used and the places almost visited.

Congratulations?!?

Laughing!

Cheer up...it's a 7 Whizzum day here,as the Northerly is welllllllllll beyond "brisk".

Film at 11:00....................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick

'Kane,

I reckon good wire cutters are one of the first things you boys toss in your pockets.(grin)

Unfortunately,I was never able to get the 100X to go that slow in any of my 257Wby's...though my 25-06AI liked the Blue Meanies right at 3600fps on the nose. Shot bajillions of 'em in all of my 25-284's(22,23 and 24") at 3400fps or better.

The KS is a right proper fair to middlin' handle and do nice thangs,as long as you don't poke too much recoil into them(frail tangs on mine at 25oz). Were I starting over and trying to fill a L/A KS handle,it'd be in a 22" MR contour 1-8" 6-06,wearing DD's and a 6x MQ. It's sub 6Mils to the 1000yd line from a 250yd zero,10 Mils is 1275yds and 5Mils of 10mph full value wind transpires at the 1800yd line.

As an aside,how you's steerin' them lazy 100X's? Reticle? CDS? BDC? The Force? Or do you have Strategic Haybales set up,so you never have to contend anything beyond zero?(grin)

This schit is all "new" to me.

Laughing!..................

I had the stock altered to house a wirecutter for just such emergencies. grin

"The KS is a right proper fair to middlin' handle and do nice thangs,as long as you don't poke too much recoil into them(frail tangs on mine at 25oz). Were I starting over and trying to fill a L/A KS handle,it'd be in a 22" MR contour 1-8" 6-06,wearing DD's and a 6x MQ. It's sub 6Mils to the 1000yd line from a 250yd zero,10 Mils is 1275yds and 5Mils of 10mph full value wind transpires at the 1800yd line."

I could very well like this a bunch.

No frills in the reticle on the Wby - straight duplex. Tis meant to be a point and shoot and it works quite well for that application - though it doesn't get hunted all that much.

Now, I may have recently more than considered a .243 to step in for the Wby for sitting in said hay bales. Thinking you'd approve - except for the bullet I'd like to drive so I'll just keep that one a secret for now. grin

[Linked Image]

WWP53D
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,177 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,547
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.