-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Rica is going on 14 years old and missed the past two quail seasons due to ACL surgery and some minor hiccups. Mearns quail season opened this past weekend in Arizona, so she was treated to a new GPS tracking necklace (Garmin Alpha 100 w/ TT15) and a trip to the oak and grasslands near Sonoita. The main reason for the tracking collar is her oncoming deafness and inability to hear voice commands and whistles.
[Linked Image]

Saturday morning we hunted a favorite drainage but failed to turn a covey, although she did get birdy twice. Conditions did not seem too favorable as it has been rather dry and without morning dew.
[Linked Image]

Sunday morning saw us both with fresh legs hunting the drainage on the opposite side of the dirt two-track. Favor was upon her this day as she located four coveys, held a steady point without creep, and brought her limit back to hand.
[Linked Image]

It was a pleasure to me to see her hunt so well on Sunday since she has missed the previous two seasons. Fortunately the tracking collar was not needed as she hunted close and a bell in her neck was readily heard.
[Linked Image]

As an aside, carrying a new-to-me Weatherby 28ga o/u was a pleasure over the 12ga version. It pointed well and did not seem to have any diminished lethality.
[Linked Image]

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Beautiful, and I wish you many more hunts together!!!! Best wishes!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice pics of beautiful country, cool birds and a classy old gal - long may she run!

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks WY and MT. The mearns population in AZ has recovered some after the huge die-off a handful of years ago. Rica and I are going to make the best of this season that runs until early February.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Very cool! cool

Ive dealt with a couple aged dogs and learned early to train on hand signals as well as verbal/whistle etc. Had two dogs go deaf now and the transition from hearing to deaf was barely noticeable ....for either of us.

Nothing better than an old dog who has BTDT with you..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Super! I've only hunted Mearns once, but they are a very neat bird in some very neat country. You guys did well!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cool indeed. Good for her. I almost bought a SKB 28 about a year ago. I should have been kicked for not buying it. SKB made the Weatherby o/u, very nice guns.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Excellent!

Never even heard of "mearns" but I love the ol' dog and a classy shotgun going for a walk & taking game.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the post & the pictures! Seeing those pictures of the old dog & those hills brings back memories . Back about 8 years ago (for a couple years) I hunted those hills with my Golden. Those were some of my most memorial hunts. He's gone now & I'm old. Thanks for the post, RedRabbit (I remember the handle).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the write up and great pictures. Used to make the drive south once a season with my setter for Mearns. Awesome hunt for a pointing dog (compared to Gambels). Like the idea of the tracking collar for older, hard of hearing bird dogs. Thanks again.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Redrabbit, hope the gunning goes well this year.. We were going to take a 10 day trip to Az. But due to a couple things it got cancelled.. We used to spend winters in Wilcox.. Had some great shooting there, but not for mearns..
Did hunt them several times..

It has been years since we did anything in Az. I was concerned about the drug cartels, and illegals coming though the hunting country.. You have a problem or worry about that..

During the years I hunted there, the illegals stayed completely away from anyone in the hills. I have heard all this has changed.. Best of luck with the hunt..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wyo,
The Wilcox area should be good for scalies, which I have never hunted. When hunting mearns or coues whitetail, I usually camp in the truck. Have not had a problem with illegals. Heard some walk around the truck one night, giving it a wide berth per looking at footprints the next morning, and had one come into camp asking for water. Came across 5 stashed bales one mearns hunt about 4 years ago.

Merry Christmas to y'all.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks!! I feel better about a trip!!

Molon Labe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,211
Posts18,485,426
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.