Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BlackFrog
CUSTER! YES! Forgot that he loves Custer history!
Thanks!

There is a computer at the house, he finally knows how to turn it on and hunt-and-peck an email to me with his pre-written cheat sheets to remember how to do it..... Sadly I don't think he'll ever warm up to technology at this point.

Let me know if he just wants to talk about Custer and the Little Bighorn. I will give him a phone number. We have investigated the battle from "boots on the ground" advantage. We have been able to prospect on private property near the battlefield and have some little known facts that we have been investigating some of the lesser known aspects of the battle and aftermath...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Dad is getting his knee replaced in January, and he will have several weeks of being laid up for a while during rehab time. He's 84, just completed another year of Wisconsin deer hunting and already looking forward to next season and another year of deer camp! smile

I'm looking for some recommended books that will keep him occupied until he's fully back on his feet. He's been a life-long hunter (grouse, ducks, deer) and a shotgun and rifle enthusiast. He has Keith and O'connor books, and some of the well-known good outdoor books, but I'm open to any and all suggestions!

I promise he will love this!

My Health Is Better in November: Thirty-Five Stories of Hunting and Fishing in the South Paperback – December 1, 1988
by Havilah Babcock

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Maneaters of Tsavo is a good one as is Horn of the Hunter

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Two main recommendations:

Get him a kindle. Bought my computer illiterate 91 yr old father one last Christmas. He's gone thru $150 worth of gift cards, so time to refill his account. I do the amazon management for him, he just picks out books and hits "buy".

Get just about any historical novels by Michael and Jeff Shaara. Jeff Shaara has authored most of their books. He has revolutionary, civil, WWI and WWII novels out. Killer angels, gods and generals, last full measure, many more. He takes factual information and real characters, then fills in enough fiction to make a novel.

Jeffshaara.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Capstick and Ruark works have been in the bookshelf for a long time, great stuff! He has even refered to my Mom as "Memsaab" for years now, those who know Ruark will know the connection! wink

Thanks for the new addition suggestions, this is way better than me just taking a stab at guessing what might be well liked!

If he likes Ruark and Capstick find him 'Horned Death' by John Burger and 'Hunter' by JA Hunter

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For a history buff, especially Civil War, the three-book series by Shelby Foote is the top of the mountain.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Any of the pat McManus books

Never too old for McManus. I just ordered 5 for a Christmas present for my daughter.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lonesome Dove is one of the best books ever written. Add Day of Wrath for a realistic look at the reality of Islam.

You should consider getting him a Nook or Kindle to read his books because it is a great way to read and holds thousands of books. Alternatively, you could download the Nook/Kindle app for a PC or Apple product.

Last edited by ConradCA; 12/15/15.

[Linked Image from ]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Any of the pat McManus books

Not a hard taste to acquire and worth it. Also, if you can find them, the "Tales of the old Duck Hunter's and Other Drivel". Sorry I don't remember the authors name.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bill heavey book's are worth a read. A comic look at the misadventures of a yuppie outdoorsman

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Many thanks!
Yes, the McManus books have been read, and re-read many times as well... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First I hope he fully recovers and is able to hunt again. Next I will recommend books I enjoyed.

And These Signs Will Follow
Genetic Entropy and the Mystery of the Genome
The End of Reason
In the Beginning was Information (I had to read this one three times to understand it.)

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Huge dittos for the O'Brian Aubrey-Maturin series. It's the finest prose ever written, period. It's one story 20½ books long.

The Old Duck Hunters stories were by Gordon MacQuarrie. Superb.

Any or all of the Gene Hill or Skeeter Skelton books.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Get him a Kindle or Nook e-book reader $50-$70 Then get him a library card with a pin number and he can down load all his books free.No need to buy Amazon Prime for $100 /year.
For thrillers and suspense I like any of Tom Clancy's books.For westerns,I like William W. Johnstone's books.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have him look at a series of books by C.J. Box about a game warden in Wyoming,by the name of Joe Pickett (fiction) outstanding read ,and I guarantee your dad will like them

Last edited by 1Longbow; 12/16/15.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If he has a softer side, try "Waiting for White Horses". It is a great duck hunting book and very hard to put down. Sorry, i dont know the author. It will leave you thinking about this book for a long time.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (12344mag, 117LBS, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 3,207 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,965
Posts18,499,229
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.