Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#10784053 12/16/15
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm considering a Tasco for a new build. Prohghorn, golden antler, or, if I can swing it, a WORLD CLASS.

question: what rings and bases should I use? Have always used kwik-site see thru's, but this rifle will not have sights, so they won't be necessary.. Im thinking tasco rings in case using other brands would void the warranty.

Question 2: for turret twisters, how do these track? Return to zero? Zero retention?

Finally, anyone have pics of a tasco mounted on a rifle? If it has a muddy girl camo stock that would be a plus since that's what I'm ordering.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why in the Hell would you consider a Tasco for a "build" on purpose?

I really hope you're joking, because otherwise that level of stupid should hurt.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
jackmountain,

The only scope I had and twisted turrets that didn't fail on me was the Tasco World Class. I would not use the lower brand Tascos. You can't go wrong with Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts. I use them on everything except my light stuff.

To me Tasco World Class is the best scope value on the market.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your tongue was planted any firmer in your cheek, you'd likely bore on through. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 4ager

I really hope you're joking, because otherwise that level of stupid should hurt.

Not really a "build" per se, but im installing a sling and a shell holder on the butt stock, and possibly a sims limb saver donught on the barrel. Its my first build, so im cautious as I dont want to mess this up. Im sorry if I offended you.... didnt realize there was so much tension in the optics forum?

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ringman
jackmountain,

The only scope I had and twisted turrets that didn't fail on me was the Tasco World Class. I would not use the lower brand Tascos. You can't go wrong with Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts. I use them on everything except my light stuff.

To me Tasco World Class is the best scope value one the market.

Thanks! That was what I was hoping to hear. A guy I work with's neighbor used to train with some real snipers and he suggested the World Class over the Mag IV also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All you need is a Tasco and a good taxidermist. Killing me.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Can you use the pronghorn model for hunting whitetails? No pronghorns here in VA.....
Guess world class would be better since it's not species specific?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Not really a "build" per se, but im installing a sling and a shell holder on the butt stock, and possibly a sims limb saver donught on the barrel. Its my first build, so im cautious as I dont want to mess this up. Im sorry if I offended you.... didnt realize there was so much tension in the optics forum?

I would also consider a second barrel donut closer to the chamber in case the first doesn't quite line the harmonics up.

Tanner

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Can also screw in some hooks on the stock to hang a butt out tool and cough silencer on...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i wouldn't use the pronghorn for whitetails. tasco scopes are species specific. simmons makes a whitetail scope.

My diploma is a DD214
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I would also consider a second barrel donut closer to the chamber in case the first doesn't quite line the harmonics up.

Tanner

This the optics forum not custom rifles and wildcats. Can you try to keep your remarks optics related? I'll try to start a build thread down there to discuss the "non optic" questions I may or may not have.
Thanks.

Last edited by jackmountain; 12/16/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finally, civility arrives at the optics forum.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
jackmountain,

possibly a sims limb saver donught on the barrel. Its my first build, so im cautious as I dont want to mess this up.

Previously I thought you were serious and answered seriously.

Just in case you really are serious.... I tried the doughnut. I moved it about 1/8" between groups. If two holes were not close together I didn't fire the third. I dialed in a very light hunting barrel down to about 1" for three shots at 300 yards. It requires patients.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rem141r
i wouldn't use the pronghorn for whitetails. tasco scopes are species specific. simmons makes a whitetail scope.

I had a Simmons 44 Mag on a 308 and it wouldn't retain zero worth a shot. They must be caliber specific too?

Last edited by jackmountain; 12/16/15.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 30338
Finally, civility arrives at the optics forum.

Go [bleep] yourself

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ringman
jackmountain,

possibly a sims limb saver donught on the barrel. Its my first build, so im cautious as I dont want to mess this up.

Previously I thought you were serious and answered seriously.

Just in case you really are serious.... I tried the doughnut. I moved it about 1/8" between groups. If two holes were not close together I didn't fire the third. I dialed in a very light hunting barrel down to about 1" for three shots at 300 yards. It requires patients.

I'm very serious. I will try that! Good thing your patients paid off!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I know this thread is all in jest, but I have a 25 year old Tasco Pronghorn 2.5x20 that I paid $19.95 for. In that 25 years it's been mounted several center fire rifles and spent an 8 year hitch on a 12ga. turkey gun. It is currently mounted on a Marlin mod. 60 that lives behind my truck seat.

In 25 years of beating, banging, and moderate to heavy recoil, it has never lost zero. I replaced it on the turkey gun with a Leupold Vari-X I 1x4 because I wanted better optical quality. The Leupold had better clarity, but it schit the bed after 2 seasons. I wish I had bought a dozen of those $20 Pronghorns back then.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tasco used to make some very good scopes but when they move production to China and dumbed down their product to a very low price point, they threw quality of components and quality control out the window. When all the stars align a good scope will emerge from the factory but it is basically a cr--pshoot whether the one you get is the shinning star or the pile of c--p. If your get the shinning star go buy some lottery tickets, maybe your on a roll. Scopes are cheap for a reason.

The Minox 3x9 that Cameraland had for $99. is a deal.

Some very serviceable scopes can be had for decent prices, Burris FF-II, Weaver V series, Sightron I's etc. Watch for deal, demo lists, sales and study scopes for awhile so you know what you are looking art when a deal arises. The Minox 2-10 tha Camaraland has on sale would be a deal for me if it would have come in a plex reticle instead of a BDC but I have no use for that reticle.

Last edited by erich; 12/16/15.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whether this post is facetious or not, it is a fact that Kevin Petrzilka killed a 202 6/8 typical whitetail in 2010 shooting 55 grain BTs from a Remington 788 in 22-250 upon which was mounted a Tasco.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1100mag, 63 invisible), 14,715 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,217
Posts18,543,751
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.