Hop To
Page 1,562 of 1,842 1 2 1560 1561 1562 1563 1564 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by TJAY
tzone

Did you do the deer camp with the tent this year?

Here was ours after the snow.

[Linked Image]

TJAY,

We did, kinda. It worked to perfection! I'll try to post some pics up when I get home.

We slept in campers, but used the tent as our gathering place. And our cook shack. It was a good way to do it. Now I have a much better idea of what I need if we go full tent. I now understand why a floor isn't needed. I picked up a small "ceiling fan" for ice shacks that I'm going to put by the wood stove to blow some hot air towards the back. On the warmer nights, we got it so hot we had to open the door though. grin

I'm going to have a more elaborate kitchen set up next year as well. We had an 8' table across the back for us all to sit and BS at and a small 4' we put the camp stove on. Going to go with another 8' for cooking/prep and keep coolers and stuff under it.Maybe something to keep water in to stay hot for dishes and such.

We are going to add a shower house to the camp as well. The boys use it for a bear camp from July through October so it gets used almost all year.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Somebody on here owes us a few Mule Deer pictures too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did happen to put a 250 grain FTX through a mule deer the other day. it was pushed by 2 pellets of 777 from a CVA staghorn topped with a 1x sightron S2. distance when I shot was 82 yards, when he was done sliding down the hill he was 65 yards. smile

[Linked Image]

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice job Ryan.....tell us more about the mzldr season out there.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
for ML any deer it is resident only, season is the whole month of december. took me 4 years to draw the tag because there are only 1000 licenses available statewide. I passed on a 180 class mulie the first 5 minutes I hunted in the season, and then spent the next 2 weeks looking for him again. ended up shooting this one just to be done, too busy with work and holidays coming up. he's not a bad one and with his narrow rack probably did the herd genetics a favor.

there is a doe season that has been really limited in area the last few years. used to be a guy could buy 10 tags, not so anymore. I have one doe tag that's valid north of my folks' place I'll hunt a couple days around christmas just to be out. I sure hope they open it up to the rest of the state again.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice work Ryan !!

Doug finally got his deer Sunday afternoon too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He was pumped ! He sat for a lot of hours this season. Passed the buck, twice, that Deb ended up shooting & thought his time had run out !!

Oh, & he tried out my new addition to the stable, quarter bore !! Guess I know it works !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Nice work!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Here is a frosty shot of the tent.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Noah shot his buck on opening day behind the camper his grandpa stayed in. I wasn't with him when he shot the buck, so I don't have the first hand story. He was with his uncle when the excitement ensued behind the camper where they saw him walking. The "path" is from the trench when they put the power in back in August. There is a lot of pin oak around and snuff's out all growth. That little path had grass and the deer couldn't get enough!

Casualties on while shooting at the buck
][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Noah's buck and doe on the pole
[Linked Image]

I was with Noah when he shot the big old rubber nose doe though. It was the 2nd day of the season. He wanted to get down early and go watch the Packers/Vikings game.

We caught her sneaking through the woods with another doe and fawn. He brought his gun up to shoot and pulled the trigger. "CLICK" was the loudest noise in the woods! He didn't load it after climbing down from the treestand. He loaded a round as quietly as he could and then she busted us. He did a great job waiting for the "old doe head-bob's" to stop, bringing his gun back up, and waiting for the deer behind her to clear for a good shot.

BOOM! She did a heart shot mule-kick and took off low to the ground. I've seen it before and knew it would be a short tracking job. We didn't find any blood and I started to doubt what we'd just saw. We circled around and found a couple drops about 30 yards out, then we saw her laying in pile of brush, about 50 yards from where she was shot.

I'm pretty sure I only helped make one cut field dressing, he did the rest by himself! This was his 3rd deer. I'm sure there's many more to come.

Noah's giant doe
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Nice pics Paul!

Dangit! I can't see Ryan or Tzone's pics. It's not the web browser as I have both Firefox and Internet Explorer. Same story with both.

A brief search says its the site domain's problem and they need to fix it.

Can't imagine there being ANY issues with this site though

*Sarcasm*

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Awesome Tom !

Good going Noah !!

Paul.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Big Chicken !

Doug was extremely happy. Can't tell in the pics though.

Not sure what's going on with your viewing of the pictures. I can see Ryan's & Tom's !

Maybe you's crazy !

Paul.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Congratulations,Doug.

Noah's deer look great.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Looks like quite a few are having lots of fun!! Congrats to all....

Like your camp setup Tom.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gave Rooster a call tonight, sounds like he might want to come out and chase a deer or two next year. sounds like ONLY if Dave comes with...........

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I forgot to add Noah shot his critters with a Ruger American Rifle compact, in .243 using 100gr Hornady interlocks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
awesome points awarded for that combo!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I did happen to put a 250 grain FTX through a mule deer the other day. it was pushed by 2 pellets of 777 from a CVA staghorn topped with a 1x sightron S2. distance when I shot was 82 yards, when he was done sliding down the hill he was 65 yards. smile

[Linked Image]

Good show ol' bean. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I can't decide if I like his .243 or Jacks .223 better. They're bith a blast to shoot!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
tzone

Thanks for the pictures and report. I will bet before long your cook tent will be as nice or better than mine..

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
T, my tent was the cook tent in a two tent camp. No windows, just a Colorado door.

I have a bunch to learn about this but I'm loving it so far. I'm thinking an LED role light along the ridge pole will help things too.

I was surprised how much wood we used, but was also surprised at how well the tent held heat.

Page 1,562 of 1,842 1 2 1560 1561 1562 1563 1564 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,609 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,286
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.