Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The_Real_Hawkeye,

Your joke would only seem funny to a science denier. It's like poking fun at people who believe the earth isn't flat.

PS Is Egypt literally an iron furnace? Deuteronomy says it is.

"But the LORD hath taken you, and brought you forth out of the iron furnace, even out of Egypt, to be unto him a people of inheritance, as ye are this day."

You want me to take you seriously when you are the guy who believes God looked down from His balcony in the sky and saw an ape and said, "I think it would make a perfect "Adam"? blush

You ever hear of context and metaphors?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
For example, Mule Deer and Whitetail Deer are two distinct species, but are capable of sometimes producing fertile offspring. Geneticists will tell you that this is because, due to adapting to two distinct environments for long enough time, they have diverged from a common ancestor into two species due to prolonged breeding and environmental isolation. The main reason for them typically not interbreeding is that they have different mating behaviors that don't lend to it (they don't understand the same breeding "language"). Offspring of the rare cases don't produce a third distinct species because their breeding behavior is so confused that they generally can't get together with any sort of deer of the opposite sex.

This describes a very early stage in speciation, i.e., the generation of two distinct species from what was one. Examples of splits that occurred further back in time would include that of the tiger and the lion, or the donkey and the horse. Yet more distant splits are exemplified by such as that between sheep and goats, who can almost never produce surviving offspring, and never fertile offspring. Cats and dogs are even further split apart.

Actually you are more wrong than right...

Mule deer are the result of crossing blacktail deer and whitetails when they met after the whitetail population moved north along the Pacific coast and evolved into blacktails. The cross was between a whitetail doe and blacktail buck as proven by mitochondrial RNA which comes from the mothers' side only.

The reason it happened that way is the blacktail habit of chasing does and the whitetail habit of waiting for the does to come to them.

Valerius Geist is the one that ironed the wrinkles out of the theory.

Today we still have blacktails named as though they are subspecies of mule deer, but that is taxonomically incorrect.

Speciation does not have to be an adaptation to different environments at all. Many are documented where they simply utilized different aspects of the same environment.

Leather from sheep:goat hybrids is fairly easy to come by though expensive due to its very fine, but extremely durable wear characteristics...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ringman

You want me to take you seriously when you are the guy who believes God looked down from His balcony in the sky and saw an ape and said, "I think it would make a perfect "Adam"? blush
No, I said Adam was the first man. Homo sapiens are, zoologically, a species of ape, and one such became a man. All homo sapiens alive today are also men (that's not a gender designation).

He wasn't literally molded from mud. That's a metaphor. He was born of parents of the same animal species, homo sapiens. The metaphor means that his origins can be traced to earthly matter. Adam became a man, and no longer a mere member of the homo sapiens species, when God breathed a soul into him, as it says in Genesis. Eve was made from his rib, as it also therein states.

These latter two events were miracles. Adam's coming into existence as a member of the homo sapiens species was not. The latter was according to natural processes, as commanded by God: "And God said let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life ..." Nowhere does it say that this command was fulfilled in an instant by our reckoning.

Because all this isn't explained in detail in the Bible doesn't mean you're prohibited from believing it. Pregnancy and birth are also referenced many times in the Bible, and no detailed explanations of the science involved is included, yet you believe there's science involved in pregnancy and birth, right? You're not adding to the plain words of the Bible because when pregnancy and birth are mentioned you assume all the scientific facts that go along with them, right? Same here.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
He wasn't literally molded from mud. That's a metaphor. He was born of parents of the same animal species, homo sapiens. The metaphor means that his origins can be traced to earthly matter. Adam became a man, and no longer a mere member of the homo sapiens species, when God breathed a soul into him, as it says in Genesis. Eve was made from his rib, as it also therein states.

In one of your earlier posts you stated you didn't know if God put an egg in an ape or exactly where Eve came from. Now you are claiming a miracle. If God can do A miracle with Eve, why can't He do lots of miracles? God wrote with His finger on stone that He created everything in six days and rested on the seventh so the Jews were to work six days and rest on the seventh. Two questions: If this isn't true, then why is there a work week for the Jews? If you try to allegorize This then why do you believe anything in the Bible?

You pick and choose like most liberals. Why don't you give up and be your own god? You would make more sense.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yep, you're right. Evolution takes a long time to state it simply. You go around this area of Georgia and claim that cats and dogs are cousins and you might make the wrong dogs mad. No cats in this area big enough to worry about.
I love reading these types of discussions and had some lively ones when in school a while back. Lots of interesting unanswered questions about the development of many features of wildlife. I read about a species of lizards that has an all female population. No males. If we knew all the answers, life would be boring.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

You pick and choose like most liberals. Why don't you give up and be your own god? You would make more sense.
Why don't you stop believing in the biological explanations of pregnancy and birth, since both are spoken of in the Bible, yet the Bible contains no scientific explanations of them? You're just picking and choosing. If you're going to believe the Bible, you have to believe that pregnancy and childbirth just happen, without any science involved. Digestion, too, since eating and drinking is often mentioned, but no science related to it. You must therefore reject any scientific discoveries related to digestion in order to stay a Bible believing Christian, unless you can show me in the Bible where is says anything about it.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Work week reference.

You ever do hard physical labor, like on a farm, pitching bales, etc, from 5 am to 9 pm, including chores and meals? Once you do, it's pretty easy to figure out why that day of rest is in there!

Likewise many of the other strictures in the Bible and Quran. Pigs have trichinosis for example. Before science, the poor savages didn't know why they were getting sick from pigs- they just knew they were, and didn't know how to prevent it. But the practicing Jews and Muslims still abide by the prohibition against pork.

I never have figured out where the thing about not cooking a lamb in it's mother's milk came from, except as a form of respect perhaps?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The_Real_Hawkeye,

Originally Posted By Ringman

Why don't you stop believing in the biological explanations of pregnancy and birth, since both are spoken of in the Bible, yet the Bible contains no scientific explanations of them? You're just picking and choosing. If you're going to believe the Bible, you have to believe that pregnancy and childbirth just happen, without any science involved. Digestion, too, since eating and drinking is often mentioned, but no science related to it. You must therefore reject any scientific discoveries related to digestion in order to stay a Bible believing Christian, unless you can show me in the Bible where is says anything about it.

You brought up the Bible. Now you build a strawman so you can win a foolish argument when there is none.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
las,

You ever do hard physical labor, like on a farm, pitching bales, etc, from 5 am to 9 pm, including chores and meals?

The short answer is, yes. I still remember my first day. I fell asleep at lunch time.

I never have figured out where the thing about not cooking a lamb in it's mother's milk came from, except as a form of respect perhaps?

I don't know anything about respecting animals. Most of the Bible makes no sense to me.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by las
Work week reference.

You ever do hard physical labor, like on a farm, pitching bales, etc, from 5 am to 9 pm, including chores and meals? Once you do, it's pretty easy to figure out why that day of rest is in there!

Likewise many of the other strictures in the Bible and Quran. Pigs have trichinosis for example. Before science, the poor savages didn't know why they were getting sick from pigs- they just knew they were, and didn't know how to prevent it. But the practicing Jews and Muslims still abide by the prohibition against pork.

Las,

I call it Marketing.

Come join us as you get:

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image. Not having to make all those statues is in effect a huge Tax Cut.

4. A day off.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Most of the Bible makes no sense to me.

Perhaps that is worth contemplating.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

You brought up the Bible. Now you build a strawman so you can win a foolish argument when there is none.
How is it foolish? Your position is that any scientific knowledge applied to descriptions of events in the Bible is "doing your own thing, man." Right? That makes one a liberal, you say. Aren't you a liberal, too, then, if you believe there's science behind pregnancy, childbirth, and digestion. All three of these subjects are referenced in the Bible. Therefore, following your reasoning, you must reject all the discoveries of science about those subjects, since no scientific details regarding them are contained in the Bible. You must therefore assume that these things just happen, with no science involved. Otherwise, you're a liberal, man. Right on.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

Originally Posted By Ringman
Most of the Bible makes no sense to me.

Perhaps that is worth contemplating.

Guilty of that.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How is it foolish? Your position is that any scientific knowledge applied to descriptions of events in the Bible is "doing your own thing, man." Right?

Another strawman!

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
How is it foolish? Your position is that any scientific knowledge applied to descriptions of events in the Bible is "doing your own thing, man." Right?

Another strawman!
Where am I wrong?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Another strawman!
Where am I wrong?

Let me help you:

A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Another strawman!
Where am I wrong?

Let me help you:

A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.
I know what a straw man is. I'm asking him to make the argument that my argument is that, and not a legitimate argument, i.e., not holding him to his own reasoning, which is what I assert my argument is doing.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
not holding him to his own reasoning, which is what I assert my argument is doing.

You told me what my reasoning is. You didn't ask me. Then you proceeded to destroy the strawman you built with your imaginary thought about what I think. blush

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
still cracks me up people trying to strictly interpret something that was not ever written in english. it was written in very basic form Hebrew, translated into Greek and then translated into English. Quite a number of translation errors. 'Thou shall not kill" should actually be "Thou shall not commit murder" two very different statements. another good one is Aaron's rod, it doesnt turn into a snake when he throws it down before Pharaoh, the hebrew and greek words used mean crocodile not snake.

plenty more where those come from. strict interpretation in english is idiotic. especially the most popular versions.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You mean that King Jim and the boys might not be strictly correct?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,010
Posts18,500,178
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.