Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Of course you can buy off the shelf, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has ordered a Cooper through a dealer.

What was your experience?
Would you do anything different?
Recommended dealers?
How was your service from Cooper?

Thinking of taking the plunge on something wood and blue. One person recommended NOT custom ordering a wood and blue from Cooper, and instead - waiting to find one in stock that has wood character you like. Ordering puts you at the mercy of the Cooper builders and the wood they choose, which may or may not be unique.

Any input is welcome.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of Coopers, but have not ordered one. With that said, I don't see the benefit of ordering a rifle unless you can't find what you're looking for.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a few. I'd look at firststopguns.com before I ordered one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used Firststopguns.com but didn't go custom route. Most of the wood I have seen on Coopers didn't disappoint.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Of course you can buy off the shelf, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has ordered a Cooper through a dealer.

What was your experience?
Would you do anything different?
Recommended dealers?
How was your service from Cooper?

Thinking of taking the plunge on something wood and blue. One person recommended NOT custom ordering a wood and blue from Cooper, and instead - waiting to find one in stock that has wood character you like. Ordering puts you at the mercy of the Cooper builders and the wood they choose, which may or may not be unique.

Any input is welcome.

I have too many Coopers, if that is possible, and have owned at least another dozen that have gone down the road. Of these only two were ordered through a dealer, but I live relatively close to the factory and drove over to pick out the wood for them myself rather than relying on someone else's opinion for the wood. If I did not have the luxury of doing that I would not order one sight unseen. Opinions of what constitutes good wood vary to much from person to person, I have seen wood that some folks think is great leave me cold and I am sure that my preference in wood does the same way to other folks. I prefer to buy from dealers or individuals so that I can find a piece of wood that suits me. Opinions of wood figure is just too subjective to let someone else pick it out for me.

I have had good luck in dealing with First Stop Guns of Rapid City, SD and Whittakers Guns. Both usually have pictures of their in-stock rifles and both have always been fair on their prices, and transactions were done in a very timely and professional manner.

The only Cooper I have had to service on was one I had bought from an individual and it had a shot out barrel, Cooper rebarreled it for me at a very reasonable price and it only took about 7-8 weeks before it was back to me.

I have spent many years working on and re-working factory rifles trying to get them to a satisfactory level of accuracy (sub-MOA). Coopers are the only rifles I have been able to do nothing more than put a scope on, do a minimal amount of load work, and be able to shoot to their guarantee consistently (3 shots into a half-inch), generally I can do the same for a 5-shot group, the shooter is the weak link.

Coopers are not inexpensive but to have a comparable rifle built to the same level of fit and finish would cost more than what they generally sell for. Like automobiles though when you start adding upgrades the price can jump quickly.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks drover.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another good source of Cooper's is Hendershots Sporting Goods in Maryland. Would echo the sentiment that if I were looking for nice wood I would spend a lot of time looking for something off the shelf before I ordered one from them and left it to their choosing.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I have ordered three Cooper rifles thru a dealer, one Jackson Squirrel Rifle in 22LR, a Model 52 Excalibur in 30-06 and a Model 52 Excalibur in 25-06.

Both the 22lr and the 30-06 were cataloged standard rifles. If memory serves correctly the 22lr took around 6 months to get, the 30-06 around 8 months to get, which was right around the time was quoted by Cooper.

Now the 25-06 was special ordered with a stainless fluted barrel, which was not a cataloged item at that time. I spoke to Cooper directly and discussed this option and then placed the order thru my dealer. Cooper was good at that time to discuss your rifle options directly with them to avoid confusion and then just running the buy thru your local dealer. I had a problem with the 25-06. I was promised 7 months but 10 months later it arrived with the wrong barrel, and it was another 4 months to get the stainless barrel rifle I ordered for a total of 14 months wait. Now mistakes are made and I was trying to get a non-standard option but I was disillusioned with this particular order. Stuff happens and I am sure this is rare with Cooper because I have never heard of a delivery problem with them from others.

Now that 25-06 and the 30-06 are the most accurate rifles I own. The 30-06 has put 5 shots into 5/8" at 100 yds. with Federal Factory Premium 168 grain match HP.

I would not hesitate to order another rifle from them if I had the need.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good point on the order time. The last time I inquired, (about 6 wks ago) orders were running about 6-8 months from order time to delivery date.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Cove creek usually has some

Double_D
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I've ordered a few. All through Mark at First Stop. Excellent service in all respects.

I'd be ordering another if they could get the ball rolling on lefty composite stocks. Cooper blames it on Bell & Carlson, and they blame it on Cooper. But, bottom line is, Cooper has not made the initial request and investment, so we get screwed.

I actually have a 52 for sale now, for that reason. Much too nice of a rifle to take out in the conditions that I seem to hunt in every year. And, I'm not going to just have it sit in the safe and look pretty.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Been there twice. Sold both of them.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by boliep

Been there twice. Sold both of them.

Could you say why? I'm considering an order too.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Did not feel they were worth the extra money over other semi custom rifles. They are much higher priced than the same thing in some others.

Some guys at my gun club like pretty over performance and will pay for the pretty.

Felt they mislead the buying public by not saying anything about their furnished accuracy targets. Those targets were shot using a 36 power scope at, I believe, 40 yards but could have been 60 yards. Also not three rounds fired and that was it. They shot a whole lot of ammo to get the target included with the rifle. I saw that when I visited their headquarters a few years ago.

Last edited by boliep; 12/18/15.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KenMi

I'd be ordering another if they could get the ball rolling on lefty composite stocks. Cooper blames it on Bell & Carlson, and they blame it on Cooper. But, bottom line is, Cooper has not made the initial request and investment, so we get screwed.

It's a shame Cooper hasn't figured out that they'd likely sell a lot more of those things if they'd put a fiberglass stock on the rifle that wasn't like holding a cow's leg. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Picked up a used classic 308 a while ago, it's my go to rifle , couldn't be happier

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by KenMi

It's a shame Cooper hasn't figured out that they'd likely sell a lot more of those things if they'd put a fiberglass stock on the rifle that wasn't like holding a cow's leg. smile

I guess the are "very close" to offering the composite models in LH, whatever that means. They do offer many models in Laminate as well, so that is a decent all weather option.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Drover and I share a problem of possibly to many coopers. I'm not sure it's possible but it could be.

I've ordered my 280AI Excalibur many years ago and it was easy as could be. Right now I have another 52 western classic on order in 9.3x62. Had it engraved, and a few other custom touches. Ordered in June and will hopefully be done by February. I deal with Parkers Rod and Gun out if Klamath falls Oregon.

Cooper customer service is great. Having a 7mm08 rebarrelrd to 220swift currently. They are easy to deal with and a real person answers the phone!!

Only thing with Cooper I wish I would of done different is not sold the model 21 221fireball I had many years ago. First Cooper I ever bought, scratched the stock with a nail that was driven up through a fence post... Just about had a melt down. Sold it and regretted it ever since.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
i've had a 54 in 260 for several years now. love the handling, trigger, fit/finish, standard wood, and especially the sub MOA accuracy. only gripes are i wish it had a 70-type wing safety for the money and the magazine is a bit short which limits bullet choices. would buy another in a heartbeat if i could come up w a decent excuse to buy another riflle

Yesu ai zhongguo
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have one of Drover's "cast-offs" and it is VERY accurate. I bought two other used Coopers and they weren't as nice - some people can even treat as great a rifle as a Cooper to some bubba gunsmithing/etc. Get detailed pics if buying used.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

350 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 30 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,133
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.