Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10795677 12/20/15
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Never been much on it. Figured to try it again.

Any recipes?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
NO!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Never been much on it. Figured to try it again.

Any recipes?

I'm feeding mine alcohol until it submits. grin

As far as eating it? Pass

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
salt, pepper, flour....fry it slowly...onions fried with it...its very good

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Detoxifies
The liver converts toxic ammonia into urea, which can then be safely eliminated by the kidneys. Ammonia is an end product of protein metabolism. If ammonia builds up, even slightly, you will experience brain dysfunction.
The liver removes and breaks down harmful toxins and drugs from nearly 100 gallons of blood per day. This includes internal and external environmental pollutants

Filters
The liver filter removes unhealthy cells, cancer cells, dead cells, bacteria and other micro-organisms from the bloodstream so they can be destroyed in the liver
The liver filters the blood from the gut – all the blood leaving the stomach and intestines passes through the liver.

Makes me want to ask for seconds.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Beef liver I presume?

I flour it and cook in bacon fat, with onions.

A friend seasons it so well I love it.

Liver is high in cholesterol so, the med types don't want us heart disease folks to eat it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to like it before radiation treatments to my neck rearranged my taste buds...now...not so much...

Floured and fried in bacon grease.....don't over cook it...and serve with lots of caramelized onions is how I used to make it....

PS...if you have to cook a couple of pieces of bacon to get some grease all the better....throw em on top....

Last edited by FieldGrade; 12/20/15.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Calf liver is the way to fly.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like pork liver, deer liver, and elk liver, but I don't like beef liver.

Batter in flour, seasonings of your taste, fry with onions in the pan, and enjoy. Never had calf liver, is it (I assume) milder than mature beef liver? It s the dark beef liver I don't enjoy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dad used to love it. Battered in flour and fried with a boat of onions. Me, I never cared for it.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once, when my youngest boy was about 12 years old, I was cooking a couple of batches of pork liver, the night before my father in law and I were leaving for a Mule deer hunt in Idaho. My boy was making fun of the liver I was cooking, as he had never liked it, and when I finished the first batch, and put it in a platter, I told him to put his money where his mouth was, try it or scram...........Well, I wasnt paying alot of attention as I was busy cooking the second batch, ,and talking hunting stories with my brother in law, and I finished the second batch, went to grab the platter to put the second batch of cooked liver and onions on the plate, and, whoawh!!! the platter was empty!. He's loved liver and onions and it's something we do together since then!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Calf liver is the way to fly.

To me pork liver is the best, followed by young deer liver. Shy away from catfish liver. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This brings to mind an old thread about deer liver not having a gall bladder and someone here, kept insisting that we were wrong and he had killed lots of deer and they all had gall bladders. I wonder if he ever looked after that, and what he found. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I cut the deer/elk liver into thin slices,flour and cook in hot oil along with onions. And cut up potatoes and fry them in another pan.

Chicken livers,just flour and cook in hot oil.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
forgot about chicken livers, love them. I know, I know, dont eat the guts, but sometimes the chicken hears, livers and gizzards are a nice fiest battered in flour and fried.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Beef - yes.
Pork - no.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone who lives too far north to eat liver puddin' for breakfast is just too damn far north! grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I enjoy liver in some dishes but not by itself. In general, I'll eat anything but the filters.

I'd say my favorite liver(ish) dish is dirty rice. I chop a bunch of liver, gizzards and hearts in a food processed and then cook with a bunch of green onion and parsley, S&P, garlic etc..

Put a scoop in a fry pan with some rice and a bit of oil and fry it all up.

Made it for the first time 2-3 years ago. I think I may of posted about it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Never liked liver as a kid, and we had it 2-3 times per month. Figured out why a year ago - Mom, rest her soul, cooked the life out of it.

At a friend's cabin on Kodiak last year, we had fresh deer liver. It was amazingly good.

S&P, flour, fried in butter and cooked rare. Still had a hint of blood leaking when attacked with a knife.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cooking to rare/med-rare is the key. Many people have been turned away by the chalk as much as flavor.

Chicken livers in chicken fat that was trimmed from a whole chicken is one of my favorite treats. Chop and make cracklings from the fat, remove and salt. Add neck, liver, heart, and gizzard. Just a little salt and you are golden.

Caramelized onions in bacon fat, venison liver that has been sliced, patted dry, and dusted in seasoned flour. Taste best at 8000 feet and surrounded by pines.

Sean
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,262
Posts18,486,476
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.