Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
My M1A taught me to keep track of how many times I'd fired cases. It's gone but I still keep track; gallon zip lock bags and MTM boxes with 3x5 cards with load data and number of times fired recorded on them make it easy.

yeah, probably anal retentive to a lot of guys....

but I am of this school of thought....

brass gets put into a 'lot number' which means a quart zip lock bag....along with a 3 x 5 card in a sandwich sized zip lock ( which will hold multiple cards)

most of my brass is now range brass picked up... sorted and cleaned...

for each firing I record the powder & charge, the bullet, the primer used, and whether Neck sized or full length sized...and the date....

I anneal every 4th firing, except on light loads...

for sizing brass, I use a Lee Collet die, and then a Redding Body Die if the shoulder needs to be bumped back....

started doing this stuff, "in case brass might be hard to come by" at some time in the future...

and then suddenly Barrack Obama got elected and suddenly 'brass started being hard to come by".....

for the last 7 years, I haven't had to deal with any brass "shortage" whatsoever.... so I guess the last laugh is on me...

I've got plenty of it.... and my way of doing it, gives it a long long life span, with reliable service....

40 and 50 firings on a case is pretty common... and there would be more, if I didn't have such a stock pile of brass.... and its free since most is range brass... and I do have times I come across some good buys on used brass....

I've also learned not feeling the need to load rounds to their peak velocity, can also play plenty of dividends on brass life...

loose primer pockets become a real rarity...

but to each there own... I've been criticized for my concepts on routine maintenance of stuff a lot...and even been given what the author intended as some sort of slander " bet he's former military, hence wasteful"... and then called "cheap" or tight wad...

whatever... but my stuff lasts a long time, because I take care of it, or take the extra time....minus used brass ( which there hasn't been much of) I haven't had to purchase hardly any brass in 10 plus years...yet I've got a gallon container about 95% full of spent primers... so I gather I get out and shoot once in a while...

no brass shortages at all experienced at my place.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I started to anneal after every firing as someone else suggested. So far, so good.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The only ones I keep track of are belted magnum rounds, everything else I run until the neck splits or the primer pockets are loose.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I pitch them when the pockets get loose or I split a neck

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gunswizard

I've never felt there was anything to gain by tracking number of times loaded.

Not to argue nor nor discredit.

IMO the best result of recording firings is having a decent idea of how many rounds have been shot in a barrel.

I have one rifle that I have NO idea how many rounds have been shot thru it. The accuracy is OK but noticeably less than the first 1000.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by gunswizard

I've never felt there was anything to gain by tracking number of times loaded.

Not to argue nor nor discredit.

IMO the best result of recording firings is having a decent idea of how many rounds have been shot in a barrel.

I have one rifle that I have NO idea how many rounds have been shot thru it. The accuracy is OK but noticeably less than the first 1000.

Jerry

If accuracy isn't what you expect, or need it is time to do something regardless of round count.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Originally Posted by jwall

The accuracy is OK .... but noticeably less than the first 1000.

Jerry

If accuracy isn't what you expect, or need it is time to do something regardless of round count.

I think you missed 2 points.

1. Accuracy is OK (for hunting)

2. If I'd kept a record I'd know how many rounds have been thru the barrel.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I don't but I am also the dumbazz that shoots three shot groups at a hundred yards and is good to go.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 to what EdM says, good enough for me too.

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the input guys! Annealing looks like a good idea and I'll incorporate that into my routine. Already been watching some videos an the importance of not letting the brass burn orange.

I also like the idea of the zip-lock bag routine. I have a few plastic jars around and would certainly help keep things organized and an easy way to keep track of the number of firings.

Based on the responses, loose primer pockets and split necks appear to be where problems are. Thanks for making that clear.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Keeping track of number of firings is not difficult.
You don't have to load ALL of your brass at once.
With a large batch, you can keep some new or once fired for hunting and run the rest till they fail.
Make the number of firings part of your lot number.
You don't have to anneal hardly ever if you full length size to just fit the chamber to be fired in.
Keeping info in three ring binder data logs is informative.
Watch for failures as you rework your brass.
Of course if you just want to blow thru a bunch of oversize magazines, forget paying tooooo much attention.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Keeping track of number of firings is not difficult.
You don't have to load ALL of your brass at once.
With a large batch, you can keep some new or once fired for hunting and run the rest till they fail.
Make the number of firings part of your lot number.
You don't have to anneal hardly ever if you full length size to just fit the chamber to be fired in.
Keeping info in three ring binder data logs is informative.
Watch for failures as you rework your brass.
Of course if you just want to blow thru a bunch of oversize magazines, forget paying tooooo much attention.
jmho
Tim

Not quite. The neck gets worked the same either way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing I do for most bolt rifles is sort the cases by neck concentricity aka uniform neck wall thickness. Those with too much variation are separated from the main lot although they are kept with that lot. Depending on brand name and actual lot of brass from the manufacturer culls run from 0% to maybe 10-15%.

Anyway, those are the red headed step children and get no love at all. Never cleaned, never annealed, never trimmed unless they really need it. I just shoot them until they fail. Loads in those cases aren't really inaccurate per se, at least I can't tell the difference from a field position, but they can mess up an otherwise nice benched group if left unsorted.

My three old military rifles don't get this treatment, nor does the old .30-30 Marlin but the scoped modern rifles definitely show a little to a lot of benefit from sorting.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this thread has made me feel better. I have never counted, but have never confessed it until this moment.

is this how it is at AA meetings?

Shane: "hi, I'm Shane, and I don't count my case loadings"

therapy group: "hi Shane"

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I keep track. Does it matter? I don't know. I keep 50 round boxes labeled with the number of firings of the brass. When I load I tend to load all from a single box so they are all 1x, 2x fired or whatever. It's certainly not hard and I don't feel it adds to the level of effort at all. Once I have a better feel for when failures start to occur I'll know better when to retire brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
I don't but I am also the dumbazz that shoots three shot groups at a hundred yards and is good to go.

Same here. I figure if it'll do it three times, that's the most I'm gonna get at a game animal. Hasn't failed yet. I do, however, try to keep track of times fired on my brass but nothing elaborate.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Some people count case firings.
Some keep round count to determine barrel life.
Some keep bullet count to see what they shoot the most and others count nothing and couldn't care less about any of it.
Democracy is wonderful.

Last edited by AussieGunWriter; 12/22/15. Reason: sp of course.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've kept track of brass fire-count for our rifles for over thirty years. Not so,with handguns. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I tried...but lost count...every time. this thread makes me feel better.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Mathman
Ref annealing, I did not say you never will need to anneal with the sizing to chamber method, but I have brass that has gone up to 20 firings with this method without annealing and without failures along the way.

To me, it makes sense and seems to be the case that sizing to just fitting the chamber results in less stretching.
If you size to a sloppy fit, brass does not last long.

As we all know, each gun is a specific issue and each hand loader does things his own way because he is happy with the results.

jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 53 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,026
Posts18,500,516
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.