Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have shot a lot of deer at close range with the bow.

Closest with a gun was a few weeks ago with my ML. About 30 seconds after this trail cam pic, this buck stepped into view of my stand, which was about 50 yards away. I made the shot at about 10 steps or so. Unexpected direction and I'm lucky I saw him before he saw me.

[Linked Image]

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by cowdoc
Angus heifer with the muzzle against her neck.

A good friend found this heifer minutes after she had calved and suffered uterine prolapse. It was cold February day, and there was lots of snow. She had picked a protected area along a ditch with trees and brush to deliver her baby.

My friend was distraught as he had a cow that really needed attention, but he was due to attend his fathers funeral in less than two hours. I assured him I could handle her myself and to not worry about the cow. He needed to be with his family.

I had to park on the gravel road, scale the barb wire fence and wade through waist high snow drift to get to where she was. She was not happy to see me, and made it plain she was going to thump on me if I came close enough. After several minutes of playing peek-a-boo with her in the brush, I gave up on being able to rope her. Gotta resort to tranquilizer drugs.

Back to the truck to retrieve the 32 ga. Special Cap-Chur dart rifle. Loaded some xylazine in a dart and climbed back over the fence to try and get a dart in her without getting killed.

Spent quite a while trying to get a broadside shot at her neck within the 30 yd range of the dart rifle. Finally I stepped (snow 8-12 inches deep) out in the open to try and get a clear shot at her. Here she came!

It was about 40 yards uphill to the road fence and I made a break for it. She was gaining on me rapidly, especially when i got bogged down in the waist deep snow drift along the fence. I wasn't going to make it to the fence before she caught me. I turned to meet her charge.

The snow drift slowed her down and she stumbled just as she reached me. I reached out and put the muzzle of the rifle on her neck and fired as she flopped her head trying to get her feet under her. At that point she just stopped and stared at me, both of us panting from exertion. We stayed like that for maybe three minutes.

The drugs hadn't had time to work, but she seemed to lose interest in me and turned to go back to her calf. After a few minutes, she laid down and I was able to tie her up and fix her prolapse. I IV'ed the reversal agent and beat it to the truck. Friend told me later she did OK and was taking care of her calf.

And that's my story of my "closest" shot!

We had a Holstein cow with a prolapsed uterus one year. I wiped her off while my grandpa used a shovel handle to poke it back in. Use some pieces of baling wire to sew her up.

Had a calf the next year!

5 years later we had another one do it. Vet came and did all the modern stuff. She died two days later!

Had some wild cows (Santa Gertrudis) that were hard to handle. I would load up my gun (Palmer chemical company) with a CC or so of Rompun. That would usually make them dopey enough to get loaded or whatever needed done. I think I still have a vial or two of Xylazine and Ketamine in the fridge!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my favorite was @ 33 feet cow elk. Could have shot her at longer range but I had hid off of the side of the trail to let her climb out of the drainage under her own power....greatly saved on the packing out.

Cougar at 10 feet, up a tree... Help from a hound.

Couple bobcats at 20/30 feet on the ground. Curiosity kills cats.

Countless skunks point blank in traps or cornered... just hate skunks.

Couple Blue grouse at 5 feet or so with rocks I tossed at them.... fun food gathering.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
5 yard whitetail with ML, 6 yards blackbear with bow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deer and elk at about 50 yards.
Antelope shots have been longer.

Bighorn killed at very close range ~20 yards.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
1000# brown bear 70 feet!
[Linked Image]

gerry35 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Some really cool stories so far, keep them coming........

Gerry.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
walking in orchard during season turned a corner and a doe just stood there 5 feet away shot with a 500 linebaugh.

Working in apple orchard during spring early summer you can get them to darn near eat out of your hand.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My closest shot on four-footed game (all time) was a whitetail doe who walked right under my treestand. I was hunting on an Ag tag provided by a local farmer I knew. I was waiting for a particular nontypical buck in velvet I had seen, but a group of does was feeding closer and closer to my stand. Finally when the doe was directly under me I pulled out my Kahr 9mm and leaned over the side of the box blind and shot her in the neck. 115 gr Cor Bon shattered her spine.

Closest with a rifle was a pronghorn buck in Wyoming in 2008. eh76 and I were spot-and-stalk hunting, saw a small herd with a good buck in it, so we decided to try to put the sneak on them. We worked north along a ridge that paralleled the draw the speedgoats were in. We popped up a couple of times to see where the goats were as they continued to feed/walk northward. The third time we popped up on the ridege for a look-see the goats had decided to pop up the same place. I was crouching in knee high grass and shot my buck at less than 40 feet.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My last Wyoming Bull Elk (6x6) came in to my guide's call and would have come a lot closer, but I shot him at 23 yards, before he got a pine tree between us.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
one pig, one doe, both at 3 steps with a recurve.

One buck wiht an MZ, had blackpowder burns on the entry wound, appx 3 foot shot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Doe at 10 yds with a 444 marlin to the back of head. Wasn't pretty. Several deer less than that with a bow.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Many years ago(I was about 17,I think),hunting deer in La. I had a Fox walk up to about 6 to 8 feet behind me. One round from my Win. Model 88,308 Win. stopped his progress. I had forgotten about the incident until this topic. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
10 yds for me...killed way more deer under 50 yds than over a 100. This year was 40 yds sure glad I had the 300 wby loaded with 200 gr AB for the extended range...

M
M
Closest deer was about 5 yds with a k-31 7.5x55 swiss. Closest elk 27 yds Remington 700 30/06.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My first PA whitetail was at 10 ft or less back in 1966.

I was twelve and hunting with my older brother Bob, he didn't want to mess with me getting lost so he put me in a big old pine tree about ten ft up were several big branches made a perfect seat. I sat there for a couple of hours and was sipping my cocoa when a 3x3 "6 point PA count" came down the trail and stopped right under the tree.

I could hardly keep from falling out but managed to point the bead on that beat up old 20 gauge single shot on his chest. After getting hit by that 20 gauge pumpkin ball the buck ran 20 yards across a little stream and came to rest again a log.

Big brother was amazed that he ended up skunked that day and I didn't smile

Ted
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Back in the film days I shot this blacktail at about 20 feet. Shoulder shot with a 165 grain Grand Slam. When I peeled him the whole front leg/shoulder came off. [Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A blacktail doe at eleven steps and a blacktail buck at thirteen steps.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Without a picture it is just a story...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I had this guy within five yards being called in many ridges away in NE BC. It was day one of the hunt so I passed. A young lady chasing Stone sheep was interested and thumped it two days later a few miles from camp. This after she came down the mountain with a fine Stone.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (17Fan, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 43 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,557
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.