Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This is another of my very sick friend Bobs guns. Going to need some help on this one. I'll tell you what I know from looking at it. You tell me what I need to do to sell this for him.

Bob was a two-state champion skeet and trap shooter back east back in the day and he fired this a bit with blackpowder handloads, and even used it to shoot clay at times, purely for the sport of it. He's had it quite a while I guess. Serial # 04266, pretty darned early LC Smith it seems to me.

32" barrels, double triggers, ejectors, ebony insert in forearm, leather butt wrap with missing buttplate underneath. Does not look like it was cut off. Do not know what grade or how to spec this shotgun, it is what it is. Bores look shiny as a mirror with one very small dink in the right barrel. The action locks up like a bank vault with zero wiggle, everything's square and straight. Overall, looks pretty darned good to me. What am I missing?

Could use some input on pricing, but am in the $600 range in my thinking. Am I terribly high or low??

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Look guys, Bob is my dear friend and of course I'd love to get him top dollar for everything I sell for him, but he is a very nice man and would want to be very fair with his price and description, so everyone is pleased in the end. If I can do anything to make that happen, I need to know. These guns of Bob's must be sold so hopefully someone can make use of them.

LOL
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Very nice shotgun.
I am sorry to hear about your friend. I give this input just to try and help.
As it has Damascus twist barrels, the only ones looking for these are perhaps collectors of these shotguns.
I don't have a book handy, but in honest I think you are somewhat high in your estimate. Not trying to mess with your friend, just trying to help.
Best wishes.
re

Beware the man with one gun, for he likely knows how to use it...
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you, all info helps. Of course it does zero good to price it too high to sell when it needs to sell. I can price it at $495 if that's a real world value that makes sense. Thanks for the help.

LOL
IC B2

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I MAY be wrong here but I don't think that is damascus barrels. Alot of guns had the same look with "fluid steel".

God BLess, Louis

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If I am incorrect about the Damascus...then I apologize.
Only trying to help here.
re

Beware the man with one gun, for he likely knows how to use it...
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You might want to contact the The L.C. Smith Collectors Association (http://www.lcsmith.org/index.html).

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Damascus.

LOL
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I apologize for any confusion.

VERY NICE LC Smith either way!

God Bless, Louis

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If nothing else that would make for a way cool wall hanger.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those side plates make think it is a field grade. Those were made 1913-1950.
The forend is called a splinter forend. The latch is called a "Clam Shell" Those were on early ejector guns. (1892-1900)?
The frame is definitely a regular weight frame.
Looks like a "second type" safety. They had 3 positions and could be made to not return to safe when opening and closing the gun if you were on the range.
Definitely Damascus steel barrels. Looks like "Good Damascus - Figured Pattern Two Rod - 60% Steel" Damascus was discontinued as a regular option in 1919. Thereafter they were available only on a special order as available. According to my reference the Damascus steel was not even an option on the field grade.
Stock is Half Pistol or Prince of Wales.
The stock has a crack to the rear of the sideplate. Most do, it is a real weak area.
SN 04266 was made in 1919. That date does not jibe with the clam shell and Damascus steel?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All LCs made from 1890 to 1913 should have the grade stamped on the tables (under the breech end of the barrels) and this will be either a 00 or a 0, probably a 0.

Any grade could be had with any grip, but the half-pistol grip was not as common.

90% and better damascus guns are priced with the fluid steel guns. Once grade falls below 90% they nosedive in value compared to fluid steel guns.

Currently, old doubles have fallen badly in price/value due to a combination of reasons. One of the biggies is that few gun buyers today remember Uncle Bud's double gun... or any doubles that have meaning to them. They may remember an autoloader or a pump though...

Not many years ago it would not have lasted this long at $600... today it will probably not sell until dropped a lot... not trying to be Debbie Downer, but they are hard to sell these days. And I am a huge LC fan.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Sitka is right. I think it is an 00 with some options. (Automatic ejectors and extra long 32 inch barrels). The 0 had a line border engraved around the perimeter of the sideplates. The 00 had plain sideplates.

The serial number is on the water table, barrel flats and forend iron. The grade is stamped on the water table near the serial number.

According to the Houchins book "The No O had Twist steel barrels between 1895 and 1899, and good quality Damascus steel between 1899 and 1907"

Double check that serial number. Leave off the 0 and the serial number dates it to 1900.

Last edited by Thunderball; 12/21/15.
P
P
Sitka and Thunderball are mostly correct. It's a pre-13 gun- mostlikely an "O" grade without the border engraving (not uncommon) and a Prince of Wales stock (fairly common on pre-13 guns). Damascus for sure. The grade stamp can be found near the serial number on the watertable and the barrel flats. Condition is everything, and given what I see, your proposed price of $ 695 is optimistic, leaving no room for a restoration of the barrels and furniture. The clamshell release dates it as an early gun. How are the bores---- pitted, shiney? If pitted or honed, restoration isn't an option and the value relegates it to wall-hanger status.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
That's fantastic information. Thank you all for your interest.

The bores are shiny as a mirror. Bob didn't get to be a two state champion shooter by being sloppy. This would make a good shooter, as Bob has handloaded for it.

I can lower the price to $450 if the buyer picks up the shipping. I'd like to find this a new home soon.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The serial number on the forearm metal reads 04266, everywhere else is 4266. Grade is "O". Thank you for the help. $450 + ship is the price until you guys convince me otherwise. Be gentle, it's not my gun! grin

LOL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
PM Sent

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
PM replied to.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The LC Smith is SPF to 30 Cal Mag Fan.

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.