Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am going to give a wsm a try at that price. I will buy 5000 rounds and start shooting. Whatever is leftover you can sell at double or tripple what you paid when it turns into the Mach 2. You can't loose. Enough guns have sold that ammo will be needed down the road no matter what.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But most of those, are B-mags. Half of those will be wrapped around trees....

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
WTF are these B-mags I keep reading about?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Never mind. I just googled it.

Savage.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just buy the ruger

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was going to buy one of the WSM to predator hunt until the state changed the law to allow centerfire under 22 cal for predators. I bought a 17 Remington and never looked back. Now if someone offered the WSM in a LH model or possibly a lever gun, I'd be first in line.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by deflave
WTF are these B-mags I keep reading about?

Travis

It's nothing more than another gun manufacturer trying to reinvent the wheel. I could put several new calibers into that category.

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shootAI
Just buy the ruger

No worries there.

Stickin' with the HMR for another season though.

Travis

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Can't go wrong with HMR. I have a slight addiction to the round myself. Trying to pick a favorite to shoot is another story. Luckily they all get used at some point shooting sage rats. Best bang for the buck on them rats. I wouldn't be without a HMR under any circumstance.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
We still shoot more 22LR than anything else. I'd say most of our shots are 25-50yds.

Travis

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's definitely 22 range. I guess I just prefer the pop of the HMR for the shots over 50. It's fun watching em flip. 22LR is definitely more cost effective. We use our fair share of 22 as well.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Oh yeah. Same here. And when it's just me I shoot a lot of centerfires regardless of the ranges involved.

But when I have tweedle-dee and tweedle-dumb in tow, it's all rimfires. grin

Travis

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hahaha i know how that goes. The rimfires keep the cost down when I am have to pick up the welfare tab for others and dependents. I restrict them to very few centerfires as I get no help at the reloading bench or with the bills from components. When I am by myself I tend to stay with small centerfires like my Calhoon's and vartrags. They are by far my favorites

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I love the idea of the .17 WSM since in general I'm a .17 fan anyway, but had been trying to justify one when I already owned very accurate CZ .17 HMR's and .17 Hornets. Finally decided to try a Savage B-Mag, despite many negative opinions, because I'm supposed to be a shooting professional. Plus a gun shop I trust said most B-Mags shoot well.

Well, mine doesn't, with two brands of ammo. It may be a scope problem, so put another on and will see, but somehow doubt it will make any difference.

A good buddy has a Ruger .17 WSM and loves it, but something rankles me about only having a choice between a $300 rifle and an $800 rifle--especially when I already have two .17's that bracket the WSM's performance. And aside from occasional sales on .17 WSM ammo, .17 HMR is still considerably cheaper. I've been buying .17 HMR on the Internet an average of $10 a brick, or slightly more, including shipping.

Running the numbers on a ballistics program showed the WSM with its most definite advantage beyond 150 yards, but I already have the .17 Hornet for that--and it's a LOT more cartridge than the .17 WSM. I do handload for the Hornet, but what a lot of guys are doing with the .17 Hornet is shooting factory ammo, then selling the once-fired brass to handloaders, whereupon the price is similar to shooting average-priced .17 WSM ammo.

One of the reasons the .17 HMR became so popular, so quickly was just about every rifle, no matter how cheap, shot very well. It would be nice to see .17 WSM rifles that cost $400-$500 and did the same.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Too bad NEF is a thing of the past...

I could see a NEF in 17 WSM...I paid $100 for the HMR version brand new...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If Sako made a WSM then maybe.

I've had a custom Anschutz 17 Ackley Hornet and it was fine for squirrels and such, but lacked for consistent knockdown on coyotes. If you could poke them in the throat, no problem. Great for rabbits, flying pieces! I'm sure the WSM would be murder too.

17 HMR is just so easy to love and available in so many rifles, I wouldn't probably be inclined to mess with the WSM. Not that it wouldn't work, but I just don't need another rifle right in there. It's definitely here to stay where the WSM seems to be on the way out.

LOL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I love the idea of the .17 WSM since in general I'm a .17 fan anyway, but had been trying to justify one when I already owned very accurate CZ .17 HMR's and .17 Hornets. Finally decided to try a Savage B-Mag, despite many negative opinions, because I'm supposed to be a shooting professional. Plus a gun shop I trust said most B-Mags shoot well.

Well, mine doesn't, with two brands of ammo. It may be a scope problem, so put another on and will see, but somehow doubt it will make any difference.

A good buddy has a Ruger .17 WSM and loves it, but something rankles me about only having a choice between a $300 rifle and an $800 rifle--especially when I already have two .17's that bracket the WSM's performance. And aside from occasional sales on .17 WSM ammo, .17 HMR is still considerably cheaper. I've been buying .17 HMR on the Internet an average of $10 a brick, or slightly more, including shipping.

Running the numbers on a ballistics program showed the WSM with its most definite advantage beyond 150 yards, but I already have the .17 Hornet for that--and it's a LOT more cartridge than the .17 WSM. I do handload for the Hornet, but what a lot of guys are doing with the .17 Hornet is shooting factory ammo, then selling the once-fired brass to handloaders, whereupon the price is similar to shooting average-priced .17 WSM ammo.

One of the reasons the .17 HMR became so popular, so quickly was just about every rifle, no matter how cheap, shot very well. It would be nice to see .17 WSM rifles that cost $400-$500 and did the same.

My buddy also bought a B-mag when they first came out. He could not get it to shoot. Sent it back to the factory and they sent him a newer heavy barrel B-mag. They said he would be happy with this one. The newer HBAR B-mag still doesn't shoot for chit. He's tried 4 different types of ammo with no luck. From what I hear there are too many inconsistencies with the ammo for it to shoot accurately. I've never heard of the same problems with the HMR. The HMR has always been extremely accurate right out of the gate in many different rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
I think the WSM is another winner that is going to die a not so lingering death due to:

1.) A POS rifle giving it a bad name.

2.) The alternative to the POS costing $800

3.) Worst timing in the history of ever.

I hope I'm wrong.

Travis

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deflave
I think the WSM is another winner that is going to die a not so lingering death due to:

1.) A POS rifle giving it a bad name.

2.) The alternative to the POS costing $800

3.) Worst timing in the history of ever.

I hope I'm wrong.

Travis

I don't think you are wrong at all.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Today.... grin

GFY

Dave

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.