Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Here's a picture of the 338 grain Power Belt, my son Steve used to kill his cow elk.

The load was 100 Grains of 777, and the power belt. Range 122 steps. The bullet hit the elk in the spine, part of it broke off and hit the liver, the remainder traveled about 10" down the spinal cord. The recovered bullet weighed, 285 grains. Open the attachment to see the bullet.

Jerry

Attached Images
1081175-Steve_resized.jpg (0 Bytes, 210 downloads)
Last edited by JerryEden; 11/11/06.
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Jerry,

Where did your son hit the elk, and what was the target angle on the elk?

thanks...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Jim:

The elk was quartering away from Steve, running right to left, he hit it in the front left rib cage. The bullet broke rib (s) fractured, hit the liver, and went up into the spine traveling about 10 inches toward the rear of the elk. Good shot placement, and IMO real good performance from a soft bullet such as this.. hope this all helps.

Jerry

NRA Endowment Life Member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's defintely the best Powerbelt to date when using magnum powder charges & tackling big game & bone. But I've read a few hunting reports on deer where the bullet never mushroom-expanded or fragmented - when not meeting bone. Both were a pass-thru with the exit hole measured the same as the entry hole.... two different hunters - two different guns.

The verdict is still out on these bullets. Perhaps fine for elk & bone -- not fine for deer downed double-lunged and heart-only shots. Also depends on the powder charge used too. So every hunting circumstance may be different. So use accordingly & you'll need to decide their worth -- based on your own hunting experiences.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, if a .270 bullet mushroomed to .500 and passed completely through a deer the shooter would be happy, so IMO a pass-through on a deer is not a problem. Especially when the hunter is measuring the diameter of the entry and exit holes, means the deer was dead.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Personally, and many of you know this, I prefer the Barnes MZ bullet. That said, I think the rifle will dictate what it wants you to shoot. IMO reliable group size is the most important part of this conversation, for if you can't put the bullet where you want to, the performance of "IT" dosen't matter.

Smokepole makes a good point, a pass thru in a non vital area is going to create the same results with any firearm, hit um in the boiler room, and they will be on the table.

Jerry

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Well, if a .270 bullet mushroomed to .500 and passed completely through a deer the shooter would be happy, so IMO a pass-through on a deer is not a problem. Especially when the hunter is measuring the diameter of the entry and exit holes, means the deer was dead.

Exactly -- but folks still always find something to complain about. There are many on messageboards that would discontinue the 338 Powerbelt use without expansion on pass-thrus.

To each his own... I guess!

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
You know its great to find a couple of "esteemed" thinkers like myself, LOL, whom agree that some folks just need to complain. You couldn't get Steve to switch from Power Belts, any more than I from "MZ'S". Point is, some of the most "spectacular" kills I have had on game, didn't pass thru,and the bullet broke up. I don't care! If I do my part, and I find what my rifle likes, the game is in the bag regardless of the (within reason) bullet.

Jerry

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Jerry,

Thanks for the description, and it was what I wanted to know.

Folks don't often think about it this way, but each of our animals shot is a sample of one. There are so many factor involved that it is tough to generalize based on one trial, but we sure do it!

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
When hunters discussed bullet performance with a rather large bullet manufacturer that I once rep'd for, the owner would eventually ask a very pointed question and offered a follow up comment: "Did the bullet harvest the animal humanely and quickly"? If it did, then the bullet did it's job...

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Grant makes a very important point! Of the elk I have taken, the only "pass thrus" I have had, with either the ML or a centerfire rifle, have been with 180 grain Nosler partitions, in 30-06. But I don't care, for they all went down in short order, with no follow up shot required on any. God, I must be a "great shot, LOL! Pass thrus and blood trails, and all the like, seems to me that is only important, if you don't hit them right.

Jerry

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Jerry, here is a 50cal 348gr Areotip recovered from a bull shot at 140 or 145yds (can't remember which). 100gr loose 777. Bullet entered tight to the shoulder, slightly low of center. Bullet was recovered under the hide on the opposite side, just in front of the hip. Elk walked about 20-25yds and tipped over. Had plenty of time to sling up and rest the back of my hand on my fanny pack while laying prone. Everything came together and it was a clean harvest. I believe that there are better bullets available now, but I am content with the performance of this bullet.

Attached Images
1112135-Pdrm0112.jpg (0 Bytes, 53 downloads)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 46 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,051
Posts18,521,250
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.