Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm looking at picking up a Winchester, but not sure how to price it. Its a Winchester 70 Super Grade in .300 WM, with controlled round feeding and beautiful wood stock. Gun is in good to very good condition, but will need some cleaning. I'm not a big fan of the .300 WM, but love these 70 SG guns. Its probably an 80s or early 90's gun, any guesses on a fair price? No box or papers, just scope mount.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
$900-1000.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sold one that was unfired, in 30-06 here last year for 850.00. Took a few weeks. 850-950 realistically.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What about the quality of the stock (grain, figure, etc)? That is key to determining the value in my opinion - straight grain, plain stocks not being worth as much as nicely figured stocks, and they vary quite a bit. Also, to me good-very good means a decent amount of wear, etc, so I'd be more in the range of $800 unless it had exceptional wood.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I never saw a Model 70 Super Grade that didn't have a lovely stock! They are accurate! The workmanship is superb! At anywhere near $850 it is a steal! Cannot believe anyone would sell one for that! Certain wood grains are really sought after! The other Super Grade attribute is the normal barrel profile and cheek piece making it heavier. All in all, it is a great rifle to buy!
Bought used it is a great deal! I have one I would not sell for $3,000!

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

I have two Super grade Model 70's they are both very nice. I would never take less than $1000.00 for either one! Even if I was broke!

Forget the past the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Totally agree with Bonechrusher! A Super Grade for less than $1,000???
For a rifle that can shoot quite a few times with real accuracy, not just the maybe first three? If I was broke enough to sell one, I might be tempted to start shooting.....but I would rather die with one in my hands than sell them for that kind of price! I never saw a single Super Grade that I did not feel like reaching for my wallet! The LOWEST I ever saw one sell for was $1,300! have never seen a used one sold ever!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by DaveyJ
For a rifle that can shoot quite a few times with real accuracy, not just the maybe first three? If I was broke enough to sell one, I might be tempted to start shooting.....but I would rather die with one in my hands than sell them for that kind of price! I never saw a single Super Grade that I did not feel like reaching for my wallet! The LOWEST I ever saw one sell for was $1,300! have never seen a used one sold ever!

Look 4 posts up $850. You can buy new all day long for less than $1300

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

You obviously have not seen everything there is to see in life. In the past 8 months I've bought two Super Grades which were/are in excellent condition. One of them, in 7MM Rem Mag, I bought for $750 in a local GS on the used rack without a mark on the metal or the wood. The other one was at the time an unfired NIB rifle in 264 Win Mag that had a previous ownner who had never shot it. I paid $865 for it. Both have excellent wood on them.

For a disbeliever like you are, I would imagine seeing that happening twice in 8 months would blow your mind, huh?

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Here you go, Merry Christmas...

Super Grade less than $800 at Cabelas

It took me a whole two minutes to find it.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
IC B3

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
This may be absolute proof that the economy is in pretty bad shape. It is also proof that individuals have become desperate for cash for many centuries. As to Bayou Rover's statement I have not seen everything there is to see in life......that is not the province for any individual. I may have led a fairly public and traveled life at one time but in my later years even driving or flying 1,500 miles is a big deal! Old age is not much of a deal, but it sure beats an earlier death? Now my mission in life is to accomplish a few things on my bucket list. I also better admit I myself would NOT buy another Model 70 Super Grade. But I do seriously wonder how someone could go into Gander Mountain (seventy miles away from my farm)and buy a new rifle that couldn't hold a candle to,the rifles that you all have found.

Maybe this means that some current gun buyers should be checking out a thread like this on the Internet? But then they probably would say that wasn't their interest? It is nice in the rare case to walk into a store with a big NEW and USED rifle inventory and get to see some of the rifles you have found. I am still thinking on my upcoming trip that I will not get to see the Model 70 Super Grades you have found! It sure does prove to ME that a $850 price on a great condition rifle is possible on the Internet. Wonder what the exact rifle Ken L found would cost one when they had gone through shipping, FFL transfers etc.? I do NOT live at a place a Super Grade would appear within 500 miles of me used for sale in these conditions. Wyoming, maybe even PA, but not the Adirondacks.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
This may be absolute proof that the economy is in pretty bad shape. It is also proof that individuals have become desperate for cash for many centuries. As to Bayou Rover's statement I have not seen everything there is to see in life......that is not the province for any individual. I may have led a fairly public and traveled life at one time but in my later years even driving or flying 1,500 miles is a big deal! Old age is not much of a deal, but it sure beats an earlier death? Now my mission in life is to accomplish a few things on my bucket list. I also better admit I myself would NOT buy another Model 70 Super Grade. But I do seriously wonder how someone could go into Gander Mountain (seventy miles away from my farm)and buy a new rifle that couldn't hold a candle to,the rifles that you all have found.

Maybe this means that some current gun buyers should be checking out a thread like this on the Internet? But then they probably would say that wasn't their interest? It is nice in the rare case to walk into a store with a big NEW and USED rifle inventory and get to see some of the rifles you have found. I am still thinking on my upcoming trip that I will not get to see the Model 70 Super Grades you have found! It sure does prove to ME that a $850 price on a great condition rifle is possible on the Internet. Wonder what the exact rifle Ken L found would cost one when they had gone through shipping, FFL transfers etc.? I do NOT live at a place a Super Grade would appear within 500 miles of me used for sale in these conditions. Wyoming, maybe even PA, but not the Adirondacks.

Nothing to do with the Economy. You could ALWAYS buy a Supergrade for around the $1100 Mark. This is why I don't understand those who wouldn't sell theirs for less than $1000. $100 to $150 more will buy new.

Bud's Gun
Supergrade
$1097-243
$1121-308
1158-300 WM

Last edited by KEVIN_JAY; 12/27/15.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
thing about buying one from bud's is you can't check out the figure in the wood first.

Double_D
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Double_D
thing about buying one from bud's is you can't check out the figure in the wood first.

True, but your buying a $1100 user, not a $10,000 Custom.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found one used (but not much) in a WV pawn shop a few years ago in 300 WM for $550. Probably the best find I've had.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
Originally Posted by Double_D

True, but your buying a $1100 user, not a $10,000 Custom.

Still like to take a look at it first.....Sportsmans warehouse near me has 2 supergrades, same price. 1 looks plain jane, 1 is super nice AAA+

Double_D
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Maybe the guys talking $3000 for a Super Grade have in mind pre-64s? The Winchester web site shows the suggested retail price for a Super Grade as $1359.99. There is no way I would pay over $900 for a used one of post-64 vintage even in almost new condition.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY

Look 4 posts up $850. You can buy new all day long for less than $1300
Yeah, but those are the BACOs... A 98%+ '90s NH will bring usually a thousand easy - with many well up into the 13-1400s...

I wouldn't give $500 for a BACO SG... (But that's just me)

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have custom stocked rifles. A Dakota would cost $10,000 set up,the way I would like. The Model 70 Jack O'Connor Rilfe in .270 Model 70 took me a long time to get and is worth more than I paid for it. The Super Grade .243 I have I have had Dealers offer well over what you seem to think one should go for. I have fired my Super Grade .243, it has a tiger striped stock, 22 inch barrel, and is one of the most perfect rifles I have seen at any price! I owned a Weatherby .257 W magnum, when I sold it to a BIG company they paid me what I bought it for, not a penny lost. So maybe looking at a rifle before you buy it has some advantages. That .243 Super Grade has been looked at and fired by a number of others! It is a lovely rifle and sure is accurate.

I have looked at some high end Model 70s, that were nicely stocked but NOWHERE near as nice as others. Even a custom rifle where you have seen the wood blank is not as exact a situation as seeing the rifle. My friend Jack O'Connor would regard a rifles that was not a "user" as a collector's item which is good for the industry, but I am not a collector at all! I handle more custom wood in a week than many people see in years. It is not all the same! Also I own stainless barrel and a action rifles, and some of the wood stocked rifles with amazing figure shoot extremely well for many years. Most of "us" when we sell a rifle it is NOT our favorite. So let's face it some things are not for sale.

Last edited by DaveyJ; 12/27/15.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have custom stocked rifles. A Dakota would cost $10,000 set up,the way I would like. The Model 70 Jack O'Connor Rilfe in .270 Model 70 took me a long time to get and is worth more than I paid for it. The Super Grade .243 I have I have had Dealers offer well over what you seem to think one should go for. I have fired my Super Grade .243, it has a tiger striped stock, 22 inch barrel, and is one of the most perfect rifles I have seen at any price! I owned a Weatherby .257 W magnum, when I sold it to a BIG company they paid me what I bought it for, not a penny lost. So maybe looking at a rifle before you buy it has some advantages. That .243 Super Grade has been looked at and fired by a number of others! It is a lovely rifle and sure is accurate.

I have looked at some high end Model 70s, that were nicely stocked but NOWHERE near as nice as others. Even a custom rifle where you have seen the wood blank is not as exact a situation as seeing the rifle. My friend Jack O'Connor would regard a rifles that was not a "user" as a collector's item which is good for the industry, but I am not a collector at all! I handle more custom wood in a week than many people see in years. It is not all the same! Also I own stainless barrel and a action rifles, and some of the wood stocked rifles with amazing figure shoot extremely well for many years. Most of "us" when we sell a rifle it is NOT our favorite. So let's face it some things are not for sale.

And your overall point is what? Other than silly name dropping in hopes of raising your street cred.

Lots of people here own custom rifles. Dakota rifles are semi-custom rifles and nowhere near the quality of a full custom built by a smith with a good reputation and good credentials.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 21, 17CalFan, 1234, 65 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,466
Posts18,508,335
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.