Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gibby
Fever?

1st thing to check.

No, Sir. I'd be to the doctor first thing if I had a fever.

Regards,

Josh

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
If it starts as a sore throat and progresses to where every muscle and joint in your body begins to ache, you can strongly suspect a strep infection. And if so, antibiotics are strongly advised.

Hello,

It wasn't strep. Let me back up and give some background.

The day after Thanksgiving, I developed a sore throat. It progressed quickly and I went to the ER on Sunday.

I had a throat swab/culture and both were negative.

I was prescribed antibiotics and Z-Pack. I was initially concerned about the swelling and requested the steroids as a measure against that.

About a week after the steroids and antibiotic were finished, it began coming back, though not nearly as badly.

I called my doctor and turns out they couldn't get me in until after the holidays. This is when I decided to experiment. I know from water purification that I'm not iodine sensitive, and I'd wanted to try this for a while.

After I gargled last night, I awoke this morning to something missing. There was no pain -- which was the first time in a couple weeks.

Eight hours later, as I type this, I feel a slight amount of pain coming back, just enough to notice it -- or it could be my imagination. It's that slight, and my throat is no longer red. I've lived my 38 years with nasal drainage, and so there's always a little irritation if I don't take allergy meds, which I try to stay away from using the theory that the less stuff I take, the better. I need to get more local honey as it helps about as well. I digress.

I'm not using any more iodine/iodide than is required to purify a day's worth of water in any 24 hour period. If it continues to come back, tonight I'll gargle again tonight. The gargling is reaching places swabbing won't reach.

I also plan to do a medical follow-up with my doctor whether this experiment is completely successful or not.

(I should note here that I'm in the process of switching doctors. This doctor has been excellent, but after he and his practice sold out to American Health Network, everything started really going downhill from the administrative side. They stopped returning calls and tried charging me full amounts instead of running it through my insurance. This has continued for over 6 months and I won't work with people who are this incompetent. I hope a letter to my now-former doctor will be taken to heart, because he is a good doctor. American Health Network is not doing him any favors, at all, and I'm not the only one to experience this.

At any rate, this experiment will let the new doc know what kind of person I am! smile )

Regards,

Josh

Last edited by Joshua_M_Smith; 12/26/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your tonsils are sore, make sure it's not simply a case of tonsil stones. See Google and youtube if you don't know what tonsil stones are.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Joshua_M_Smith
Fever?

1st thing to check.

Regards,

Josh

I thought so. Just checking.

Zpack are antibiotics.

Sounds like PND. Zrytec is worth a try.

Gargle with warm salt water 3-4 times daily. If the pain persists after 24-36 hours,have another swab done.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Joshua_M_Smith
Fever?

1st thing to check.

Regards,

Josh

I thought so. Just checking.

Zpack are antibiotics.

Sounds like PND. Zrytec is worth a try.

Gargle with warm salt water 3-4 times daily. If the pain persists after 24-36 hours,have another swab done.

I have no idea why I said z-pack. They were prednisone packed in a tapering dose.

I do take Zyrtec. It's good stuff!

Regards,

Josh

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (16penny, 204guy, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 2ndwind, 300s, 27 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,622
Posts18,474,027
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.