Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
This exact thread exists on another board but it's more geared for the archery hunters. As we look at the shows just around the corner, I thought it would be great to have a similar thread on here for people as they prepare to book their hunts for the years 2016 and 2017.

Some of my words of wisdom:

Get out and see the landscape! Bowhunters sit in concrete port-a-potties and miss so much of the scenery. Drive around and spot-and-stalk. Shoot some birds when you hit an afternoon lull. Francolin are excellent on the table.

If you are saving money and think you are almost there for this upcoming year, save for one more year. You don't want to be strapped for cash and on a restrictive budget when the trophy of a lifetime emerges. You will go over budget, TIA.

Buy the cheap airline ticket in coach. There is no need to pay-up for a better class ticket when you can use this "savings" towards your hunt and taxidermy.

If you find a good free-range hunt, you need to take it. Africa is changing for the worse (thanks, China) and it could be ranch hunting as the only option sooner than later. Get out and experience the real Africa while it still exists.

Most of your trackers and male camp staff smoke. Grab a carton of cigarettes at the duty-free before you leave Johannesburg. If they have unfiltered, grab those. You will be their best friend when you have some smokes for them. Don't give them all out at once, stagger the distribution throughout the trip.

Bring hard candy, if you have weight in your bag. If there are little children in nearby villages, there is nothing more precious than seeing their smiling faces as you give them candy. If there aren't any children, your camp staff will love it.

Bring some old issues of hunting and outdoor magazines to leave for the trackers. Most of your staff can't read English but they are fascinated by the pictures of wildlife they have never seen before.

RSA is fine for plains game but don't shoot a ranch Cape Buffalo. If you have a Cape on your bucket list, save for a free-range hunt and go that route. Be warned that some parts of Zimbabwe are very tough due to poaching (voice of experience here).

Lions are not crossing into RSA from Botswana. Lions are not "eating all the game on my friend's ranch" and he can get you a great deal. These are the two biggest tricks in the book for you to shoot a canned lion. If that is your thing, that's fine but if you have reservations about hunting a released pen-raised lion, this is the scam to make you think you did it the "real" way. Wild lion hunts don't take just a couple of hours!

Do not have your taxidermy done in RSA. There are numerous horror stories of people getting the wrong animal back, not getting their animals at all, and just crappy taxidermy work.

Save the back skins on some of your trophies. They look great tanned and draped over a couch or chair.

Most of your shots are under 150 yards. I have had one trip that was an exception, a river valley in Western Tanzania. Remember, you wound, you pay. This cowboy long-range fad is cool but not so much fun when you lose a kudu and are out $1,500.

Shoot a Barnes TSX or similar bullet. Sure those Bergers and others hype the shock and knock-down power of their bullets but these aren't whitetail you are shooting. Penetration is key here. Your trackers will find it if you hit him right. Penetration, penetration, penetration. Got it?

Bring a soft gun case for your firearms. It would suck to have a nice rifle riding around exposed in a truck gun rack.

Buy a copy of Kevin "Doctari" Robertson's book, The Perfect Shot. Kevin is a vet and PH. His books discuss the anatomy of the African animals and some facts about them. Just about every PH has his Mini Edition in the truck.

You do not need to pack a bunch of clothes. Your laundry is done daily. Two sets of hunting clothes and a light jacket will suffice for most hunts. If you are going to an area with lots of Tsetse flies, don't bring shorts.

3M Ultrathon lotion is great on Tsetse flies. Avon Skin So Soft is great for Mopane Bees. Ask your PH if you are in an area with either one of these insects. They are terrible.

You will be hooked on the Dark Continent. You will be back. Consider yourself warned that it's addicting.

I'm sure others will come to mind and I will edit as I think of them. I am anxious to see what others can contribute to this discussion, as I know the similar thread benefited many hunters as they prepped for their first hunts.

Last edited by kscowboy01; 12/28/15.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Take all the money you can and then take some more. I will forever regret turning down a leopard that was feeding on bait because I was short on funds, and as it turns out, my PH would have let me just send the money. I can't for the life of me figure out how some folks spend big bucks on a hunt, go ALL the way to Africa, and come back with just a couple of trophies.
I can see that if you are on your fifth or tenth safari, but for the first or even the second time, you really should take a BUNCH of animals.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lots of valid points here.
I have been there three times.
Twice archery and once combo rifle and archery.

I enjoyed immensely sitting in blinds and seeing numerous species of birds and mammals at ranges from feet to 30 yards or so.

I sure do echo the point on hard candy for the trackers and kids that you run across in remote villages.

I certainly echo the issue of some area in Zim being shot out on buffalo. Been there and done that in a very expensive way.

NRA Patron
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by dale06
Lots of valid points here.
I have been there three times.
Twice archery and once combo rifle and archery.

I enjoyed immensely sitting in blinds and seeing numerous species of birds and mammals at ranges from feet to 30 yards or so.

dale06, do you have any broadhead recommendations for bowhunters? I'm sure they would find your advice on grain and brand helpful.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
That's some good stuff kscowboy. I've been over 3 times now, and wholeheartedly recommend the economy comfort upgrade on Delta over the coach seat rec though. Stretching your legs out makes a 15hr flight more tolerable IMO. Also, I've not found African plains game to be exceptionally tough when the bullet is put in the right place. My 30 or so head all died rather quickly, except for a horrid shot I made on an oryx. AB's and partitions do quite well in this arena too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Include a few extra "non hunting" tourist/sightseeing days. You've already spent the money on airfare and a few days sight seeing will really add to your experience. Every country has some kind of special historical/scenic place and a little extra time research of the country/area you go can add huge rewards to your overall experience

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by JGRaider
That's some good stuff kscowboy. I've been over 3 times now, and wholeheartedly recommend the economy comfort upgrade on Delta over the coach seat rec though. Stretching your legs out makes a 15hr flight more tolerable IMO. Also, I've not found African plains game to be exceptionally tough when the bullet is put in the right place. My 30 or so head all died rather quickly, except for a horrid shot I made on an oryx. AB's and partitions do quite well in this arena too.

Accubonds and Partitions are very good bullets for Africa. I have shot Accubonds over there and have no complaints. I would definitely recommend a heavier grain bullet for over there. I shoot 165 grain Accubonds in my .300 Jarrett and 180 Barnes X in my .308 (also have a 150 grain Accubond load for it).

The Jarrett made its first trip over on the July trip to Tanzania. It performed very well on leopard and hippo and other plains game. My father used a similar round on his .300 Jarrett for Sable and Roan. That being said, I had about a 250 yard shot on a DeFossa Waterbuck and nailed him right in the shoulder. I was slightly under-gunned with the 165 grain Accubond, as it was a tough tracking job on a well-hit animal. My Liechtenstein Hartebeest was hammered through the shoulder on a 220 yard shot and managed to go close to 200 yards before piling-up.

I will continue to throw my 165 grain Accubonds on elk and whitetail but would definitely up the grains for my next trip to Africa. My .308 was heck on African game with the 180 grain Barnes X. My favorite story on the .308 was when I took a zebra head-on and had the bullet under skin in his hindquarters on a 150 yard shot. It really hammered him.

The Barnes 400 grain TSX in a .416 Rigby is great medicine on buffalo. However, there is a new bullet on the market that I'll mention below.

This all being said, there is a new bullet that we tried while in Tanzania. Our PH is frequently on TV and was responsible for some of the field testing. The company is out of RSA and was very impressive. They are called Peregrine Bullets. I expect them to gain a massive following sooner than later.

Last edited by kscowboy01; 12/29/15.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Here my experience and thoughts-
I went to Zim once and SA twice, in 12, 13, and 14.
The places I hunted strongly discourages mechanical broad heads. I don't use them so that was not an issue.
In Zim, I used 100 grain Muzzy MX4 heads. They worked ok, but penetration on a couple animals was not great.
In SA, I used Slick Trick 100 mags. They worked better than the Muzzy. Also, I shot a couple animals with 100 grain Magnus Stinger four blade. Both the ST and Magnus worked well, with the Magnus penetrating the best. I am a fanatic about sharpness. I sharpened all of these on a Lansky sharpener before using them.
It also depends on what you plan to shoot. The smaller stuff, I think pretty much any head that works for whitetails should do fine. The stuff like wildebeest, zebra, and similar size animals are "tough." In my experience a very solid deep penetrating head is important.
If I were going back, and I hope to do so in 17, I probably would use a 125 magnus four blade or Slick Trick Mag in 125 grains.
I used a 70 pound, 31" draw, 460 grain arrow. I believe the velocity was about 270 FPS.
Good luck, it is an awesome experience.

I forgot to mention that I shot a cape buffalo on my last trip.
Grizzly sticks arrows, 315 grain Ashby two blade BH. Total arrow weight was 980 grains. And 75 pound bow. I would not recommend that set up.

Last edited by dale06; 12/29/15.

NRA Patron
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The OP has offered very sound advice. A couple of more points.

1. Take some E-books on a Kindle.

2. If they don't have cell phone coverage (most places didn't during my three trips in 2006 through 2011), rent a satellite phone.

3. Take only one rifle after checking to make sure the PH has a spare if you need it. .300 magnums are fine for all non-dangerous game. Otherwise take a .375. Contrary to what some may think, it's good for elephant, lion, hippo, and cape buffalo and also good on the plains game.

4. Only take one type of ammo unless you take solids for DG. The solids should weigh the same as the softs and shoot to the same point of aim. I used 180 partitions in the .300 and 300 grain bullets from North Fork in the .375.

5. If you take a .458, use 450 grain bullets instead of 500 grain for DG. They kick a lot less and 450 grain flat point solids penetrate more than enough for elephant.

6. Take a good and light weight camera. Take lots of film chips and batteries and take pictures of everything.

7. Book your travel through a firm that specializes in African travel, such as Gracey Travel. They have an employee at the J-burg airport who will smooth everything over for you.

8. Get in good physical shape in advance. Then get in better physical shape.

9. Before you book, check with at least five references who have hunted with the same outfitter.

10. Douse your clothes with pyrethrum before you go. It kills ticks and stays effective for six washings or more.

11. Bring shorts to hunt. I disagree with the OP about this but found that Ultrathon keeps off the tsetse from your legs.

12. Don't wait too long. The game herds are diminishing, unlike North America. I shot lion and bull elephant in 2011. Already the Obamunists have
outlawed elephant part importation from most of their range and, it looks like, have just severely restricted or eliminated importation of lions. Leopard and kudu make very fine trophies at least for the present.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by kscowboy01

Lions are not crossing into RSA from Botswana. Lions are not "eating all the game on my friend's ranch" and he can get you a great deal. These are the two biggest tricks in the book for you to shoot a canned lion. If that is your thing, that's fine but if you have reservations about hunting a released pen-raised lion, this is the scam to make you think you did it the "real" way. Wild lion hunts don't take just a couple of hours!

This is good advice.
With the new USFWS regulations on lion hunting, you'll need to get a special permit (in addition to a CITES permit) to import a lion trophy into the USA. There is still a lot of uncertainty on exactly how the regulations will be implemented, but it is a good bet that USFWS will not issue import permits for captive bred lions.

http://huntforever.org/2015/12/28/h...t-lion-trophy-importation-into-the-u-s/

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Very good advice. I will re-read this before I book my buff hunt (tentatively scheduled for sometimes next year -2016).

BH63

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good stuff.

There are a few good taxidermists in RSA...you just have to be very careful!

Relive in Port Elizabeth does great work at good value.

Tim

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Take half the ammo, 1/4 of the clothes and twice the money that you think you need. Ignore the first if you want to give it away. If you do end up taking the airline limit, put half of your ammo in your friend's luggage and take half of his. That way if you lose your luggage you'll still have more than enough.

Travel in footwear you can wear hunting. It doesn't hurt to travel in huntable clothes either. Have at least enough clothes in your carry-on that you could get through if you had to.

Scan every scrap of paper, every document, a note from your mom, your passport, your ticket and anything that could conceivably be needed and email it to yourself. That way if your are standing in Africa with nothing but the clothes on your back and a money belt, you can still go hunting with a borrowed rifle. More importantly you can get home, and if some of your stuff eventually shows up you can get that home too.

Never smile at the local girls. Ever.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Take half the ammo, 1/4 of the clothes and twice the money that you think you need. Ignore the first if you want to give it away. If you do end up taking the airline limit, put half of your ammo in your friend's luggage and take half of his. That way if you lose your luggage you'll still have more than enough.

Travel in footwear you can wear hunting. It doesn't hurt to travel in huntable clothes either. Have at least enough clothes in your carry-on that you could get through if you had to.

Scan every scrap of paper, every document, a note from your mom, your passport, your ticket and anything that could conceivably be needed and email it to yourself. That way if your are standing in Africa with nothing but the clothes on your back and a money belt, you can still go hunting with a borrowed rifle. More importantly you can get home, and if some of your stuff eventually shows up you can get that home too.

Sage advice indeed!

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by Model70Guy

Just curious, why you are so adamant regarding this statement.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Model70Guy, that is good advice. Yes, always travel in clothes and footwear that you can make work for hunting, should your bags not make it. I too am curious of the local girls comment. I'm not one to answer the drums:).

Pack your binos, range finders, and anything of value in your carry-on luggage. Things have a tendency to disappear during a layover in RSA.

We have always had success traveling out of Atlanta versus the Northeast with firearms. I don't know if it's a cultural issue or what but customs and airline personnel are just more tolerant of hunters and firearms in the South than in those Blue States.

Do not travel through Europe, if possible. I think Germany is okay but I remember meeting some guys during a layover in RSA who have their own rifle company and TV show. They were obviously there to promote their guns on their show but had to use borrowed rifles. Their mistake was a connection through Amsterdam.

Travel with Guns did my father's last trip. Steve used to be at Gracy, I believe. Gracy has Bruce in Joburg who no one can top when it comes to making sure your firearms get to the appropriate destination. It has yet to be seen what Steve is going to do in Joburg for firearms transfer.

We used Gracey for years but as of late, they have been less responsive and their attention to detail has gone downhill.

If you have an overnight layover to another country (exit airport and have to re-check luggage), use Gracy because of Bruce. If you have a connecting flight in Joburg that is not an overnight layover (never exit airport and re-check bags), use Travel with Guns. My father had a medical emergency with his 2 month old hip replacement getting infected during an October hunt in Zim. Steve at Travel with Guns got him out of there promptly.

Be careful at the ticket counter here in the US. I tried to check my bags and firearms through to Harare and the lady at the counter told me that I could just re-check everything once I got to Joburg. No! It doesn't work this way and you could really find yourself in a pickle when you "enter" RSA without any paperwork. Check your firearms all the way through to your destination, if you have a layover that does not require you to have to re-check bags! Example: Atlanta to Joburg, 3 hour layover in Joburg, Joburg to Harare--check all the way to Harare.

Last edited by kscowboy01; 01/02/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Visit your Doctor a month before you leave

Tell your Dr you are going to Africa for 2 weeks or 1 month....whatever your trip length is

Have your Doctor write scripts to cover several possibilities

Sleep aid....airplane sleep issue or jet lag trouble after you arive
Motion sickness....jet taxi and stormy weather
Diarrhea.....this happens for several reasons be prepared
Nausea.....same
Antibiotics....broad spectrum to fight off an ear infection or sore throat ect ect

In 2014 my wife made such a bag of meds

She also included Ibuprofen Tylenol Pepto tablets and a couple other things I can't remember

Of the 8 people in our group there wasn't anyone that didn't benefit from this medication assortment

PH's and staff included

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Also for the 1st timers

Set aside about as much money for the back side of your safari

Nobody talks about this much but I take every opportunity to warn those of the large cost after the last handshakes and goodbyes

Dip
Pack
Ship
US Brokerage
US shipping

These cost often vary from area to area but South Africa is becoming famous for over charging clients or threatening large and outlandish storage fees on DP&S

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kscowboy01

Travel with Guns did my father's last trip. Steve used to be at Gracy, I believe. Gracy has Bruce in Joburg who no one can top when it comes to making sure your firearms get to the appropriate destination. It has yet to be seen what Steve is going to do in Joburg for firearms transfer.

We used Gracey for years but as of late, they have been less responsive and their attention to detail has gone downhill.

If you have an overnight layover to another country (exit airport and have to re-check luggage), use Gracy because of Bruce. If you have a connecting flight in Joburg that is not an overnight layover (never exit airport and re-check bags), use Travel with Guns. My father had a medical emergency with his 2 month old hip replacement getting infected during an October hunt in Zim. Steve at Travel with Guns got him out of there promptly.

I used Steve at TWG last may for a Namibia trip. Service was A++. They can also book you at the Africa Sky Guesthouse (I highly recommend it),and they can handle your meet, greet, SAPS, transfers, and walk you back to the airport the next day whisk you through SAPS again, and to your gate no problem. Fantastic service, and Africa Sky is a fantastic place.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Visit your Doctor a month before you leave

Tell your Dr you are going to Africa for 2 weeks or 1 month....whatever your trip length is

Have your Doctor write scripts to cover several possibilities

Sleep aid....airplane sleep issue or jet lag trouble after you arive
Motion sickness....jet taxi and stormy weather
Diarrhea.....this happens for several reasons be prepared
Nausea.....same
Antibiotics....broad spectrum to fight off an ear infection or sore throat ect ect

In 2014 my wife made such a bag of meds

She also included Ibuprofen Tylenol Pepto tablets and a couple other things I can't remember

Of the 8 people in our group there wasn't anyone that didn't benefit from this medication assortment

PH's and staff included

I would add to this ( if your Doctor is open to it...) some high octane pain killers if you are going to hunt Dangerous Game.

I did and I thought we were going to need them during a wounded leopard follow up. Turns out we didn't, but my PH needed them for a killer toothache 1000 miles from a dentist he could trust....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 52 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,405
Posts18,470,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.