This exact thread exists on another board but it's more geared for the archery hunters. As we look at the shows just around the corner, I thought it would be great to have a similar thread on here for people as they prepare to book their hunts for the years 2016 and 2017.

Some of my words of wisdom:

Get out and see the landscape! Bowhunters sit in concrete port-a-potties and miss so much of the scenery. Drive around and spot-and-stalk. Shoot some birds when you hit an afternoon lull. Francolin are excellent on the table.

If you are saving money and think you are almost there for this upcoming year, save for one more year. You don't want to be strapped for cash and on a restrictive budget when the trophy of a lifetime emerges. You will go over budget, TIA.

Buy the cheap airline ticket in coach. There is no need to pay-up for a better class ticket when you can use this "savings" towards your hunt and taxidermy.

If you find a good free-range hunt, you need to take it. Africa is changing for the worse (thanks, China) and it could be ranch hunting as the only option sooner than later. Get out and experience the real Africa while it still exists.

Most of your trackers and male camp staff smoke. Grab a carton of cigarettes at the duty-free before you leave Johannesburg. If they have unfiltered, grab those. You will be their best friend when you have some smokes for them. Don't give them all out at once, stagger the distribution throughout the trip.

Bring hard candy, if you have weight in your bag. If there are little children in nearby villages, there is nothing more precious than seeing their smiling faces as you give them candy. If there aren't any children, your camp staff will love it.

Bring some old issues of hunting and outdoor magazines to leave for the trackers. Most of your staff can't read English but they are fascinated by the pictures of wildlife they have never seen before.

RSA is fine for plains game but don't shoot a ranch Cape Buffalo. If you have a Cape on your bucket list, save for a free-range hunt and go that route. Be warned that some parts of Zimbabwe are very tough due to poaching (voice of experience here).

Lions are not crossing into RSA from Botswana. Lions are not "eating all the game on my friend's ranch" and he can get you a great deal. These are the two biggest tricks in the book for you to shoot a canned lion. If that is your thing, that's fine but if you have reservations about hunting a released pen-raised lion, this is the scam to make you think you did it the "real" way. Wild lion hunts don't take just a couple of hours!

Do not have your taxidermy done in RSA. There are numerous horror stories of people getting the wrong animal back, not getting their animals at all, and just crappy taxidermy work.

Save the back skins on some of your trophies. They look great tanned and draped over a couch or chair.

Most of your shots are under 150 yards. I have had one trip that was an exception, a river valley in Western Tanzania. Remember, you wound, you pay. This cowboy long-range fad is cool but not so much fun when you lose a kudu and are out $1,500.

Shoot a Barnes TSX or similar bullet. Sure those Bergers and others hype the shock and knock-down power of their bullets but these aren't whitetail you are shooting. Penetration is key here. Your trackers will find it if you hit him right. Penetration, penetration, penetration. Got it?

Bring a soft gun case for your firearms. It would suck to have a nice rifle riding around exposed in a truck gun rack.

Buy a copy of Kevin "Doctari" Robertson's book, The Perfect Shot. Kevin is a vet and PH. His books discuss the anatomy of the African animals and some facts about them. Just about every PH has his Mini Edition in the truck.

You do not need to pack a bunch of clothes. Your laundry is done daily. Two sets of hunting clothes and a light jacket will suffice for most hunts. If you are going to an area with lots of Tsetse flies, don't bring shorts.

3M Ultrathon lotion is great on Tsetse flies. Avon Skin So Soft is great for Mopane Bees. Ask your PH if you are in an area with either one of these insects. They are terrible.

You will be hooked on the Dark Continent. You will be back. Consider yourself warned that it's addicting.

I'm sure others will come to mind and I will edit as I think of them. I am anxious to see what others can contribute to this discussion, as I know the similar thread benefited many hunters as they prepped for their first hunts.

Last edited by kscowboy01; 12/28/15.