Excellent thread. Just did my first trip last year (SA, both Limpopo and Kalahari) for plains game. Below are only the things that weren't obvious to me or haven't been discussed at length already. Trust me, I have a 7500 word journal from my 10-day trip and a huge, detailed spreadsheet with all the costs, packing list, etc. that was invaluable *to me*. Yep, I'm *that* guy.

• Bring less sets of hunting clothes than you think, but bring layers. Including a skully/warm gloves. It can get very chilly early in the AM or on that last ride back into camp.
• Hire a meet-and-greet for Joberg. They get to use a different line through immigration and customs. Must quicker which is really, really nice after a 17 hr flight.
• Keep a daily journal. I kept mine on my iPad, which is also handy for ebooks, etc.
• Things I used every day that weren’t obvious – sunglasses, scent-free lotion (it’s dry over there), chapstick, and Nuun tablets. Also sunscreen.
• Ask your PH about gifts before you go - most times I think the PH/trackers/drivers/skinners, etc. would prefer you add the $50 you spent on gifts to their tips. Cash is king. But do ask what they need before you get there - I brought some batteries that were difficult to find/very expensive in SA that were easy and cheap here after a last minute catch up convo with my PH before I left home - you'd have thought they were gold by the reaction.
• Take cash for a tip. In most places US$ is fine/preferred. Take more than you think you'll need. It's easier to come back with it than want it and not have it.
• Hire a US importer/customs broker before you head over and let them handle your trophy imports/shipping. I tried to do this on my own last year (I live in the Atlanta area) and it's a nightmare. US FWS was terrific, CBP a nightmare. I ended up getting help from Coppersmith at the last minute and would highly recommend them. I promise you that it is $500 well spent. I couldn't bring myself to spend it on my first trip and that was a huge mistake.
• Speaking of costs, I did a very thorough spreadsheet (did I mention I'm one of those guys?) with all the costs listed by line item. Therefore, I knew what the extra cost of another animal would be including trophy fees, tips, D&P vs European vs shoulder mount, shipping, etc. Therefore, when we saw a huge impala after I'd already taken one, I knew it was in my budget and he's now on my wall. Same with my 5" steenbok.
• +1 on costs. My 10-day $7000 plains game hunt ended up at around $15k after tips, extra animals, a charter flight from Limpopo to Kalahari, taxidermy, shipping, etc. It all adds up. Thankfully, given my spreadsheet I knew all of this in advance and had planned for it. And there wasn't a dollar I spent that I regretted spending.

I love European mounts and it is cheaper to do them in SA and have them shipped. Contrary to a previous post, my crate home included Europeans and shoulder mounts, along with pillows, backskins, and rugs all together in the same crate. Shipping is expensive - I think mine was about $1700 for a 130kg crate that barely fit in the back of my F150. My shoulder mounts and full body for my steenbok that were done in SA were very good quality but not excellent.

My experience with CBP in ATL when I returned was a nightmare. Landed and through immigration/customs and had my checked luggage 30 mins after we landed. Left the airport 90 minutes after that thanks to CBP and I had all my paperwork in order. Just really rude/indifferent CBP officers who didn't know what they were doing on duty at the time. Be patient and be prepared.