Originally Posted by JGRaider
That's some good stuff kscowboy. I've been over 3 times now, and wholeheartedly recommend the economy comfort upgrade on Delta over the coach seat rec though. Stretching your legs out makes a 15hr flight more tolerable IMO. Also, I've not found African plains game to be exceptionally tough when the bullet is put in the right place. My 30 or so head all died rather quickly, except for a horrid shot I made on an oryx. AB's and partitions do quite well in this arena too.

Accubonds and Partitions are very good bullets for Africa. I have shot Accubonds over there and have no complaints. I would definitely recommend a heavier grain bullet for over there. I shoot 165 grain Accubonds in my .300 Jarrett and 180 Barnes X in my .308 (also have a 150 grain Accubond load for it).

The Jarrett made its first trip over on the July trip to Tanzania. It performed very well on leopard and hippo and other plains game. My father used a similar round on his .300 Jarrett for Sable and Roan. That being said, I had about a 250 yard shot on a DeFossa Waterbuck and nailed him right in the shoulder. I was slightly under-gunned with the 165 grain Accubond, as it was a tough tracking job on a well-hit animal. My Liechtenstein Hartebeest was hammered through the shoulder on a 220 yard shot and managed to go close to 200 yards before piling-up.

I will continue to throw my 165 grain Accubonds on elk and whitetail but would definitely up the grains for my next trip to Africa. My .308 was heck on African game with the 180 grain Barnes X. My favorite story on the .308 was when I took a zebra head-on and had the bullet under skin in his hindquarters on a 150 yard shot. It really hammered him.

The Barnes 400 grain TSX in a .416 Rigby is great medicine on buffalo. However, there is a new bullet on the market that I'll mention below.

This all being said, there is a new bullet that we tried while in Tanzania. Our PH is frequently on TV and was responsible for some of the field testing. The company is out of RSA and was very impressive. They are called Peregrine Bullets. I expect them to gain a massive following sooner than later.

Last edited by kscowboy01; 12/29/15.