Here my experience and thoughts-
I went to Zim once and SA twice, in 12, 13, and 14.
The places I hunted strongly discourages mechanical broad heads. I don't use them so that was not an issue.
In Zim, I used 100 grain Muzzy MX4 heads. They worked ok, but penetration on a couple animals was not great.
In SA, I used Slick Trick 100 mags. They worked better than the Muzzy. Also, I shot a couple animals with 100 grain Magnus Stinger four blade. Both the ST and Magnus worked well, with the Magnus penetrating the best. I am a fanatic about sharpness. I sharpened all of these on a Lansky sharpener before using them.
It also depends on what you plan to shoot. The smaller stuff, I think pretty much any head that works for whitetails should do fine. The stuff like wildebeest, zebra, and similar size animals are "tough." In my experience a very solid deep penetrating head is important.
If I were going back, and I hope to do so in 17, I probably would use a 125 magnus four blade or Slick Trick Mag in 125 grains.
I used a 70 pound, 31" draw, 460 grain arrow. I believe the velocity was about 270 FPS.
Good luck, it is an awesome experience.

I forgot to mention that I shot a cape buffalo on my last trip.
Grizzly sticks arrows, 315 grain Ashby two blade BH. Total arrow weight was 980 grains. And 75 pound bow. I would not recommend that set up.

Last edited by dale06; 12/29/15.

NRA Patron