The OP has offered very sound advice. A couple of more points.

1. Take some E-books on a Kindle.

2. If they don't have cell phone coverage (most places didn't during my three trips in 2006 through 2011), rent a satellite phone.

3. Take only one rifle after checking to make sure the PH has a spare if you need it. .300 magnums are fine for all non-dangerous game. Otherwise take a .375. Contrary to what some may think, it's good for elephant, lion, hippo, and cape buffalo and also good on the plains game.

4. Only take one type of ammo unless you take solids for DG. The solids should weigh the same as the softs and shoot to the same point of aim. I used 180 partitions in the .300 and 300 grain bullets from North Fork in the .375.

5. If you take a .458, use 450 grain bullets instead of 500 grain for DG. They kick a lot less and 450 grain flat point solids penetrate more than enough for elephant.

6. Take a good and light weight camera. Take lots of film chips and batteries and take pictures of everything.

7. Book your travel through a firm that specializes in African travel, such as Gracey Travel. They have an employee at the J-burg airport who will smooth everything over for you.

8. Get in good physical shape in advance. Then get in better physical shape.

9. Before you book, check with at least five references who have hunted with the same outfitter.

10. Douse your clothes with pyrethrum before you go. It kills ticks and stays effective for six washings or more.

11. Bring shorts to hunt. I disagree with the OP about this but found that Ultrathon keeps off the tsetse from your legs.

12. Don't wait too long. The game herds are diminishing, unlike North America. I shot lion and bull elephant in 2011. Already the Obamunists have
outlawed elephant part importation from most of their range and, it looks like, have just severely restricted or eliminated importation of lions. Leopard and kudu make very fine trophies at least for the present.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.