Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I was born and raised in the northwest. It has always seemed to me that the people of the northwest were fairly open to each other; especially the inland northwest. In other words, a person could move from Idaho to Montana to Wyoming etc. without much resistance. When it came to Californians, it was a different story. The average Idahoan could barely say "California" without turning his head and spitting. Even amongst Californians though, there were some distinctions made. Many Californians were working people who had started out in the midwest and passed through California (after a couple decades or so). They didn't bring with them the sense of entitlement and attitude of superiority the white collar people did. They were just people looking for a job and a place to live and they fit in pretty well. So it seems it's not really the Californian that many found so objectionable but a specific type. North Idaho loggers were used to getting screwed but if they were going to be screwed, it was going to be by Idaho crooks; not Californians!
Some typical encounters:
A couple of well-dressed women were in a small store near Sandpoint. One was complaining to the other about the noise made by logging trucks and maybe they should put more restrictions in place. A roughly dressed guy, speckled with sawdust, was in line behind them. He smiled and said, "of course you could always just go back home."
A mill worker worked part-time for the phone company for extra cash. He was sent up to do an installation in a big new house where the owner, a recent Californian immigrant, complained loudly about the slow response to his request for service. The phone installer stops working, stands up, and says, " I can't stand you bastards and would just as soon put your phone up your a-- but I have to do this or I don't get paid."
I know of one guy who still seems embarrassed when he introduces his wife wo forty years and tells people she's a Californian. Of course, it doesn't help when his friends ask why he didn't ask where she was from before he married her. See, they know nobody would knowingly marry one of them. Some have suggested, only half-jokingly, that Californians should be tatooed for indentification so such mistakes aren't made. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ranger, make a list of all you hate about the changes to the land of our birth and steer away from those. then you will be accepted anywhere by civil people. some will never welcome anybody. fools with weak minds and hearts.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
California is the greatest piece of ground in this nation. Soil structure alone is so diverse you would have to go from the Rockies to the east coast to find as much variation. What has ruined it is obviously the huge numbers of people living in majorly congested areas having meat butchered for them, leather tanned for them, cows milked for them, water heated for them etc., etc., add naseum. Same as it is happening all over our once great country.

The reason it seems like it's a California problem is only because California was the fastest populated state because of the gold rush. It's a problem of too many rats in the cage and it's happening all over. The gentrification of America is headed your way. Wether it's from Los Angeles, New York, Bentonville, Memphis, Austin, Salt Lake or Chicago sucks any way you look at it. And it sucks for ALL of us dyed in the wool patriots who love this once great nation.

Divisive attitudes are exactly what our enemies desire, and some of you fellas dance a rather fine jig to their fiddle.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Higbean
California is the greatest piece of ground in this nation. Soil structure alone is so diverse you would have to go from the Rockies to the east coast to find as much variation. What has ruined it is obviously the huge numbers of people living in majorly congested areas having meat butchered for them, leather tanned for them, cows milked for them, water heated for them etc., etc., add naseum. Same as it is happening all over our once great country.

Divisive attitudes are exactly what our enemies desire, and some of you fellas dance a rather fine jig to their fiddle.

The nail has been hit on the head.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I was born & raised in Southern California and now live in Ohio. [bleep] love CA and can't wait to move back. I certainly don't miss the politics of CA but that is a small blemish on the west coast paradise.

You guys can demonize "californians" all you want but there are certainly issues with all 49 other states. Also the "californians" you all seem to hate most likely had absolutely nothing to do with legislation enacted in the state (unless you consider voter apathy, which is prevalent across all 50 states, a contribution).

If the character of a citizen is defined by the politics their state enacts, then maybe all this animosity is justified. But that simply is not the case with a voter turnout around 30-60% in the 50 states. There is so much more to why California is a great state than the politics you disagree with.

What you are all saying is akin to someone from the EU saying "All Americans should not come here because they will vote in leaders like Obama". Sure you come from the nation that elected Obama as president, but did you personally have any responsibility in that outcome? Even if you did, does that mean you are defined by that political decision and so your character and value is diminished? I hope you guys can try to keep an open mind... but what do I know, I was born & raised in California, I'm probably gay, liberal, and want to melt all firearms.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I grew up and lived in Trinity County for 25+ years and every so often we'd get someone from Southern California (anywhere from San Francisco down to us) moving up there to retire. They did the same stuff to us IE paying to much for property, griping about the logging trucks, people shooting on their own property or the unpaved roads.
I worked in the woods for 7 years after getting out of the Army, when I saw where it was headed because of the environmentalists I re-enlisted. I haven't been back there since 2005.
Trinity County has some beautiful country and I have some great memories of growing up there, but I doubt if I'll ever go back.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It did start with the gold rush, but what really hastened the ruination of the beautiful state of California was World War II.

A few hundred thousand men were exposed to the pleasant California climate during stints of military training, by being based at one of the many military installations, or just by passing through going to or coming back from the Pacific theater.

During those days before air-conditioning, to experience even one summer day in a coastal California location with temperatures in the 70's made a huge impression. Add in pretty beaches, palm trees, and a few bathing beauties to add to the attraction.

Most of these men had come from areas where on the same summer day temperatures and humidity would have both been in the 90's. They didn't forget their impressions of California.

After the war many large companies started up, expanded or relocated in California and found it very easy to recruit workers to migrate to California from all over the country.

The word was out. Good jobs, good climate, the land of milk and honey. A better life for their family and children. Who can blame them?

Then the land of milk and honey with a majority of hard-working conservative people slowly became the land of fruits and nuts. The hippy era and the drug culture and the liberal anti-Viet Nam war protest scene in California in the late 60's is when things went downhill quite rapidly.

Then the killing of Robt. Kennedy in Los Angeles in June of '68 was pounced on by the liberal California legislators to push for all sorts of anti-gun laws, including even having to sign paperwork to buy ammunition (that one was rescinded a few years later). Waiting periods were introduced along with many restrictions still in place today. On the federal level this same mind-set gave us The Gun Control Act of 1968.

In a short few years the whole scene for California gun owners had changed dramatically. In the early 60's kids could bring a gun to school for show-and-tell, or leave a hunting gun in the office to pick up and use after school. A friend of mine would walk home from school along the San Francisco Bay shoreline during duck season and usually arrive home with a duck or two for the family table.

As a 12-year-old in the early 60's I could, and did, walk into the farm and ranch supply store by myself and buy loose black powder by the pound in doubled paper bags, no restrictions. I had a small cannon and a single-shot cap&ball pistol.I cast my own round balls from scrounged wheel-weights. I don't remember the costs involved, but I could afford it on paper route money.

Where the supply store sat is now occupied by a huge four-star hotel in a neighborhood of million dollar homes. We used to drive through miles of orchards going from town to town. Now it is just a sea of humanity with only a roadside sign to tell you that you have passed from one jurisdiction to another.

After my service in the Marine Corps I resettled in far northern California in rural Shasta County, surrounded by mountains, forests and wilderness areas, joined a good rifle club and got the concealed weapon permit I have to this day, decades later. For most of the state, the California I knew as a kid is long gone, unfortunately.

The fact that California shares a border with Mexico didn't help, either, but that is a whole different problem, made much worse by the liberal welfare policies of the city-dwelling Democrat majority.

California was a much different state once upon a time. Too many out of state liberals with their numbers and progressive policies came in and ruined the state, and now they have spread to all the other western states where they are trying to enact the same liberal policies. It isn't the state, whether it be California or any other, that is to blame, it is the liberal mindset that is to blame.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What I've seen is that the big bag of cash they bring up from selling their 1400 ft/2 ranch home for 1.2 million was quite disruptive to the local real estate market. Good if you were a seller I guess, bad if you were trying to be a buyer on an Oregon wage.

In rural areas such as mine I've also seen them packing a big bag of attitude, like as if there were HMA's out here. In fact, things are extremely lightly regulated and policed in the rural areas around here, and we like it like that. The Cali transplants seem to have trouble with it.

Must concur that regulation seems to follow them.... It affected me personally because Oregon attempted to implement Cali-style rural fire-prevention regulations, which in essence amounted to a giveaway to the insurance companies, while totally [bleep] many, many rural land owners, who were forced to either drastically change their property, or else self-certify that they were in compliance, which works GREAT until there's a fire, at which time the insurance company can deny the claim due to non-compliance. Oregon pulled this of in the southern part of the state (go figure) but has backed off up further north... for the moment.

It was one of the driving factors that led me to cut my house in half, and have the half we were keeping, moved across the property. It was that or cut down a grove of huge old cedars and fir that were a significant reason we bought the land in the first place. It wasn't the only reason but it was a big part of it.

I strongly disagree about college towns sucking. College towns are the best. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N

Jeff?

Wow, we thought you were dead or something. lol!

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hi there Dave! Always a pleasure.

Not dead, but I got set back pretty good, and had to go to a quiet place for a while! smile Better now.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Geno,

Anybody who has spent any time in Flagstaff knows the best Mexican food is at La Fonda restaurant on N. 2nd Street. Right in town, but sort of out of sight. Extremely popular with the locals. I ate there five weeks ago so I know they are still doing well.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-fonda-mexican-restaurant-flagstaff

Thanks nifty,

Haven't been there, just emailed bro about something else and asked him if he's been yet. Next time I'm up there, I'll check it out. Trip coming to AZ this spring for "pigs" but not sure I'll make it as far as Flag as I'll be over in the Wikieup area.

Now, let's get back to picking on Californios, every last one of them. Right? If they're still living there they must be Stupid, no? (not in my mind, but we'll let others think that)

Geno

PS, I hope you were up that way for a hunt.

Last edited by Valsdad; 12/30/15. Reason: PS

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sal, your post with all the pics is a classic.

Amen Brother.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Salmonella
All you self righteous mutherphuxxers can GFYs.

This might be Sal's sayonara...

Many of you live in subdivisions where you can't even take a freaking piss in your own back yards, and yet come on here and preach about freedom....WAFJ...

I live in the PRK albeit the very rural PRK.

I hunt like a mutherphukker, I've trapped all kinds of scheitt, I despise liberals, democrats, minority activists, and the entire lefty bullscheitt, I'm a pro gun hard core right winger, and yet, some of you think that you are some kind of special and born better.

What the fugg makes your scheitt not stink?

You phuxxerz put your azz up on some holier than thou pedestal, like you are better than us and you really ain't .

I am sick and tired of living like a second class citizen because of some imaginary fuggggin boundary.

George S Patton and Ronald Reagan were Californians too..

I've fought for a lifetime for your values, your lifestyle and your freedom.

I came home from work today, split a couple cords of wood and logged on to 24HCF to see this stereotypical bullscheitt?

Some of my friends here know my game, some do but just love to talk scheitt....

Just a quick reminder that not ALL Californians are complete azzholez...

We have backyard bonfires...
[Linked Image]

We can hunt without expensive guides and outfitters...

[Linked Image]

We hunt hard and live that treasured lifestyle...

[Linked Image]

Our kids fight death defying battles for strangers they've never met...

[Linked Image]

My neighborhood...
[Linked Image]

We hunt and are proud, regardless of the backlash we may receive...

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I've had a couple of drinks and am a bit pizzed...
Goodnight to my 24HCF friends and piss up a rope to those that consider me the enemy based on where I happened to have been born...

Seriously? I ain't the one that posts on the 'Fire that I hate where I live but my wife won't let me leave.

Carry on

Seriously? There's something wrong with sacrificing a bit for your loved ones?

Do you know anyone who's staying where they are until there kids are grown?

Know anyone who's staying where they are in order to provide a better living for their family?

Know anyone who's still in a place they'd rather leave in order to take care of aging parents?

Hell, if it was the '50s or so I wouldn't be where I am, I could have told the wife we're moving to N Arkansas where the cost of living is less, and I can shoot way more stuff than I can out here, an you're moving whether you like it or not. But I love my wife and she won't move east of the big river again, at least for now. Her mom is 78 or so and she'd like to stay closer to mom than 2000 miles away. And she has a career of her own (I'll need her retirement money too, for shooting supplies and such) so here I am in metro Portlandia with a million other folks I'd rather be far away from.

Life ain't always about entirely doing what one wants to do, some of us still believe in sacrifice, even if it does mean living in California.

Sacrifice used to be thought of as a good quality. Guess not around here so much.
Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The original question was...." List the worst things California emigrees do to your state"...

I can't speak for everyone but the general consensus seem's to be that Californians tend to want things the way they were "back in CA".....and that's because it's true.....to many people from to many different states said the same thing for it to be coincidence.....and no....it's not some big conspiracy we all dreamed up via PM....

Bottom line....if you like CA....fine....I don't blame you it's a beautiful state....so stay there and try to institute change....but if you do move to another state try to remember why you left CA and STFU..... smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two major things that happen.

1) They come here and try to turn Montana into California Jr. (in multiple ways).

2) They come here and try to modify the greatest stream access law in the country.

Whoever above blew a gasket about people complaining about the influx of Californians please note, they (we) aren't complaining about normal people who come here from California, just the nuts.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

1) They come here and try to turn Montana into California Jr. (in multiple ways).

2) They come here and try to modify the greatest stream access law in the country.

Whoever above blew a gasket about people complaining about the influx of Californians please note, they (we) aren't complaining about normal people who come here from California, just the nuts.

Agreed^^^^^^^^^^matter of fact....we probably don't even know the normal folks are from CA because they go about their business without bitching and moaning and thinking there should be a f*cking law regarding every single aspect of one's life....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

I'm glad to hear this. I just bought a few acres of land in a pretty rural part of Montana with the idea that in a few years we'll leave California for Montana. One of the concerns I have is about the stigma of being from California, but as far as I'm concerned once I'm out of this state I'm no longer a Californian. If someone asks where I'm from, sure, I'll not hide the fact, but it won't be my identity and I sure as heck won't be dragging CA values to Montana.

I'm looking forward to not living in California and there's no chance I'd try to turn wherever I go next into the place I left. That seems to be the ultimate expression of fouling ones own nest....

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The real reason folks hate u sorryazz CA a-holes is ......u have so many people u change the way the rest of us live .......take the old time .....REAL gas can ,where u unscrew the back thinge and take the top off the spout an pour wa-la works great ...then YOU banned them ,then that caused the factory to not make them > they can't take the hit on not selling to your hordes of people .....NOW all 50 States are cussing an pour gas everywhere / if they can even get it to come out. !!! laugh laugh laugh

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by atvalaska
The real reason folks hate u sorryazz CA a-holes is ......u have so many people u change the way the rest of us live .......take the old time .....REAL gas can ,where u unscrew the back thinge and take the top off the spout an pour wa-la works great ...then YOU banned them ,then that caused the factory to not make them > they can't take the hit on not selling to your hordes of people .....NOW all 50 States are cussing an pour gas everywhere / if they can even get it to come out. !!! laugh laugh laugh

There's some truth in that ^^^

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good people can be found in bad states...... and vice versa.

The Californians I know best are in the San Joaquin area and they'd make good Texans.

I'm bettin' you would too.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

345 members (163bc, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,106
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.