Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just saw a report claiming Islam will overtake Christianity in numbers by the end of the century (due to age and birth rate demographics, etc).

What caught my eye though was that claim that Christiantiy accounts for nearly a third of the world's population--2.2 BILLION. Another survey showed that 83% of Americans self identify as Christians.

In addition, we have the various threads on the campfire (past and present) where certain individual's actions and attitudes seem to be in conflict with their stated beliefs. I then see others either defend them (or themselves) with the 'just a sinner saved by grace' meme or a disavowal of the faith of some members due to more egregious actions (I.e. A 'Real' Christian wouldn't do that, ergo...).

Also, apparently back in the day we had a 'Christ At The Campfire' forum that got a wee bit out of hand with attacks between adherents of 'competing' theological viewpoints (yet still ensconced in the 'Christian' camp.)

The world seems an awfully dark place sometimes with the number of self-proclaimed 'lights' reputedly walking about.

So what, precisely, is a 'Christian' that there are 2+ billion in the world?

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By definition a Christian would be a follower of Jesus Christ.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A work in progress.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you read a bit... the world has to come to an end.

We have been headed that way since day one.

I suspect we are closer... Duh... we have to be.

Some days I think we are REALLY close.

One wonders though... so many humans involved in theories on Christ.

I'm Lutheran so I'm an SOB to the Catholics. I can go to a mass, yet can't take communion due to someones decision... yet the Catholics can take communion at my Lutheran church. In theory because we simply state our beliefs in communion and you are welcome to partake.

Its the tit for tat stuff thats always been divisive

Christianity to me, has much more to do between me and the Lord, not me and a church full of flawed human ideas.

Believe, ask for forgiveness of your sins, and be a good person, it ain't any more complicated in my books. If I'm wrong, its all on me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Both of the above posts are correct.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apparently for the purposes of the article you mention, a Christian is a person who, when asked if he is a Christian, says yes.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hold on....gotta go pop corn!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A Christian is someone who accepts Christ as their Saviour then trys to live their life according to His teachings. Notice the trys in the last sentence. Christians are just people and not perfect. That does not mean they should keep on living like they did before accepting Christ then blaming it on something else but making an honest attempt.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Barak
Apparently for the purposes of the article you mention, a Christian is a person who, when asked if he is a Christian, says yes.

^^^^^ this is the definative answer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwells in him, and he in God." 1 John 4:15

The original source is usually the best guide...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Hold on....gotta go pop corn!!

Sounds good, can I join you while we watch the show? smile

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
According to me, a Christian is a person who has accepted Christ's gift of salvation through His atoning death on the cross for forgiveness of sins. We are saved by grace, through faith. My response to that is to do my best to live as Christ-like a life as I can.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This place would drive most devout Christians to drink. Or worse.

Last edited by Fireball2; 12/30/15.

LOL
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Odessa
By definition a Christian would be a follower of Jesus Christ.

So if a follower,...
Forgiven, and acting like said leader, CHRIST.
Refer to the play book, BIBLE.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn
According to me, a Christian is a person who has accepted Christ's gift of salvation through His atoning death on the cross for forgiveness of sins. We are saved by grace, through faith. My response to that is to do my best to live as Christ-like a life as I can.

Penny

Penny

Thump Barak on the head to help him see the light. GW grin

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Years ago I asked this same question of lots of folks. It was interesting to find so many different answers. I will try to list some from memory.....
You have to be born in America
You have to go to church
You have to belong to the Church of Christ (listed in the Yellow Pages)
You have to be a Republican
You have to be born into a Christian home
You have to be a Catholic
You have to be born again
You have to speak in tongues
You have to be baptized in the Name of the Lord (NOT in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit)
You can't ride a motorcycle or go fishing

These are a few that I can remember. Each person was as serious as I was in asking the question! No wonder there are so many "Christians" in America.

Edited to add: Barak has the best answer for this thread. Penny has the correct answer for the serious person seeking to be a Christian.

Last edited by Ringman; 12/30/15.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Safariman

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ringman
Years ago I asked this same question of lots of folks. It was interesting to find so many different answers. I will try to list some from memory.....
You have to be born in America
You have to go to church
You have to belong to the Church of Christ (listed in the Yellow Pages)
You have to be a Republican
You have to be born into a Christian home
You have to be a Catholic
You have to be born again
You have to speak in tongues
You have to be baptized in the Name of the Lord (NOT in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit)
You can't ride a motorcycle or go fishing

These are a few that I can remember. Each person was as serious as I was in asking the question! No wonder there are so many "Christians" in America.

Edited to add: Barak has the best answer for this thread. Penny has the correct answer for the serious person seeking to be a Christian.

The answer to all the above is "no", with the exception of "you must be born again", which is just a way of saying that you must accept the gift of salvation (accomplished by Jesus' crucifixion).

Historian David Bebbington defines Evangelical Christianity as having four main qualities (quoted from here):
* Biblicism, a particular regard for the Bible (e.g. all essential spiritual truth is to be found in its pages)
* Crucicentrism, a focus on the atoning work of Christ on the cross
* Conversionism, the belief that human beings need to be converted
* Activism, the belief that the gospel needs to be expressed in effort

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/blackwhiteandgray/2013/03/what-exactly-is-evangelical-christianity/

Last edited by 1Deernut; 12/30/15.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn

Penny

Penny, I agree with you at least one thousand percent! Good to see that you still know how to run a keyboard. Drop in more often.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (5sdad, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 16 invisible), 1,664 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,588
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.