Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Why does the UltraMag's seem to be a dying breed but the Weatherby mags seem to be still selling and popular ?

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Weatherby, the name.

K
KHH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The short answer is Weatherby produces there calibers in several different rifle platforms and styles and has a good marketing dept. Remington is producing fewer and fewer models offering the RUM calibers and can't seem to get out of there own way at times.

The long answer is Weatherby had a 40 - 50 year head start with there cartridges. Owning a Weatherby rifle has a certain prestige to it , The name Weatherby is synonymous with being the fastest, most powerful cartridges in each caliber. The 300 Weatherby is a classic , if the 257 isn't it's close and both have a cult following.

Remington introduced a 7mm, 300, 338, and 375 RUM , Because it's on a Magnum action and the case head is bigger the RUM's are not easily converted from other actions and bolt face's with out a lot of costly modifications. The 300 was first and is by far the most popular. It was introduced with a huge media blitz and seems to have a good foothold. Plus 30 caliber's usually do good in the US. The launch for the 375 and 7mm RUM was much smaller. The 7MM STW had been the hot round a few years earlier and could be built on most long actions with no bolt work needed so the huge, fast 7mm market had been recently flooded. The 7mm Rem mag. already commanded a huge chunk of the 7mm market so the 7MM RUM had a lot against it to start. A while back I thought it was making a slight comeback in the long Range crowd but with more new 7MM's and the new found 6.5 craze it's probably all but dead.

375's have never had a big following in the US and the 375 H&H has a world wide following and a 90 year head start. I'm not sure what Remington was thinking with the 375 RUM . It was going to target a very small market for sure it's not to surprising it's not to popular .

IMO the 338 RUM is the best of the bunch and it does have some support in the long range community it's easy to get up to speed and has the coveted non-belted case. But the 338 Win. mag. is much easier to shoot and again has a 50 year head start. Add to that the 338 Lapula is "THE" long range cartridge so it looks pretty bleak for this RUM as well.

I would bet Weatherby's 7mm and 340 are marginal sellers at best and the 338-378, 375 and 378 probably don't command much of a market. The 257 ,300 and to a lesser degree 30-378 are probably Weatherby's best sellers. Most rifles can easily be converted to Weatherby calibers. With the introduction of the 6.5-300 Weatherby how far behind can the 7mm-300 be? I think lately Weatherby moved a lot of it's marketing thrust to the Vanguard series that line probably generates a lot of there money right now.

I have a 300 RUM and a 338 RUM there both incredibly accurate and easy to get up to speed, but recoil the is more than most will tolerate. Those are my thoughts on the subject. KH

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brass.

You want the enthusiasts, the guys trying new stuff, to buy into your new cartridge, you gotta supply brass. Otherwise, you get your initial burst of interest then it falls on its face.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The RUM series of cartridges share the same case head size as the original belted case magnums.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by DocEd
The RUM series of cartridges share the same case head size as the original belted case magnums.

You beat me to it...

Love my 300 RUM. Works great on the long range stuff, and is way more accurate than any 300 Weatherby I've ever shot. Well designed round, if you need that much horsepower.

Last edited by Godogs57; 01/01/16.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Marketing.

K
KHH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Thanks , I didn't realize that, I was kinda thinking on the fly . I knew it took a different RCBS shell holder then the H&H based cartridges when I reload , I was thinking that was because the head was bigger. To busy expounding my expertise on the subject I guess LOL . I hate to be responsible for miss-information I apologize for that. Hopefully everyone will realize it's just some rifle nut expressing his opinion and blowing a bunch of hot air. KH

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I really dig my 338 RUM. I've killed some really good animals with it, and my shoulder is still in functioning order. I've got enough brass to last me several lifetimes, so not worried about that. When I draw that Unimak or Kodiak bear tag again, I know what I'll be taking with me. Etolin elk and it will get the nod. Probably moose too, but because I can.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I happened to be looking up 7mm RUM specs on the Remington site yesterday. It looks like their whole line of M700's in 7mm rum have been discontinued. I think you can still get them from their custom shop. But if I was looking into getting a new fast 7mm, I would steer away from the RUM. Seems like Remington has lost interest, and brass may get harder to find.

the 300, and to a lesser extent the 338 RUMs still have a strong following.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The market will decide what stays on the shelf and what becomes a collector item.
If you have confidence with something that may be difficult to load for, then stocking up is your goal.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The RUM's are a classic example of what happens when a product goes in search of a market, instead of vice versa.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed... Not that the RUM concept is bad but I feel that the market is already saturated with other good cartridges, most of which had a huge head start on the UltraMags and already had a good following. I've always been impressed by my buddy's 300 RUM; I've seen it in action in the field and on paper. It's got more case capacity than a 300 Weatherby and it consistently places bullets right where he desires with impressive velocity for whatever bullet weight he's using. Don't know anything about the other RUM's but IMHO the 300 RUM is another one of those great cartridges that just never seemed to catch on like it should have. But then; look at all the .30 cal. competition it has.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Remington was trying to say "Go big or go home".

The RUM's are not for everyone, but they have a loyal following that are'nt dying yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would like to have a .300 or .338 RUM 700

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bighorn
The RUM's are a classic example of what happens when a product goes in search of a market, instead of vice versa.

Well said.
Guys either love 'em...or not.
Good riddance I says.
As it relates to Big Green, the RUM may have their place but Remington really screwed the pooch with producing so many of those RUM rifles in LH, imho.
Wish I had a dime for all of the SS LH 700 ultras floating around, and wish those rifles were in non-magnum form for builds etc. In LH form they are all that is out there anymore and most buyers thumb their noses.

While they may work for some long rangers etc, most will never even realize 1/3 potential of those loads.
And tremendous potential revenue lost on Remington one would think when so many would like SS LH non-magnum rifles.

My opinion and worth exactly two cents.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
When Remington first chambered the Stainless Fluted Sendero's I purchased both a 300 and 338 RUM in that configuration. I've also owned both the 300 SFF2 and 300 Police (IIRC). I still have the 338 RUM. Shortly after I got it I sent it to Hill Country Rifle for their Accurizing and a Vais brake. I'm a short range meat hunter, but when afforded an opportunity to make a shot at over 250 yds. in thick brush, it's my choice hands down.

[Linked Image]

Lazered at 267 Yds.

[Linked Image]

and a little closer view of a decent boar nailed at that range

[Linked Image]

he came out just before one hell of a storm broke loose. If I'd had to blood trail him, I'd of lost him.

A 200 gr. CT Ballistic Silvertip launched @ +/- 3,150 and a 200 yd. zero on my Leupold 4.5-14 x 40 W/ B&C reticle corresponds with the subtensions of that reticle.

[Linked Image]

white-tail doe, 300+ yds.

[Linked Image]

Aoudad ewe, 300+

I've laid in a decent store of brass and bullets, but may have to see if I can scrounge some more brass, as I don't see this rifle following anyone else home any time soon.

JAPPFT,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/02/16.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by KHH

Remington introduced a 7mm, 300, 338, and 375 RUM , Because it's on a Magnum action and the case head is bigger the RUM's are not easily converted from other actions and bolt face's with out a lot of costly modifications. . KH

This bs is a prime example of why you should not believe everything you read on the internet ........ if ya wanna be a "gunwriter" facts and actual knowledge are necessary

Last edited by Swamplord; 01/03/16.

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by KHH
Thanks , I didn't realize that, I was kinda thinking on the fly . I knew it took a different RCBS shell holder then the H&H based cartridges when I reload , I was thinking that was because the head was bigger. To busy expounding my expertise on the subject I guess LOL . I hate to be responsible for miss-information I apologize for that. Hopefully everyone will realize it's just some rifle nut expressing his opinion and blowing a bunch of hot air. KH

Man ! where do you get this "experise" ? do you snipe ?

the RUM cartridges and the H&H based cartridges use the same #4 RCBS shellholder ....

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
K
KHH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by KHH

Man ! where do you get this "experise" ? do you snipe ?

the RUM cartridges and the H&H based cartridges use the same #4 RCBS shellholder ....

I was wrong On that too. I get most my stuff fro midway on there site the list of calibers for the #4 holder
.257 Weatherby Magnum
.264 Winchester Magnum*
.270 Weatherby Magnum
7mm Remington Magnum*
7mm Shooting Times Westerner
7mm Weatherby Magnum
.30-338 Winchester Magnum
.300 Holland & Holland Magnum
.300 Weatherby Magnum
.300 Winchester Magnum*
.308 Norma Magnum
8mm Remington Magnum
.338 Winchester Magnum
.340 Weatherby Magnum
.350 Remington Magnum
9.3mm x 74 Rimmed
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.416 Remington Magnum
.450 Marlin
.458 Winchester Magnum

For #38
7mm Remington Ultra Magnum
300 Remington Ultra Magnum
338 Remington Ultra Magnum
455 Webley

I always just used the 38

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 57 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,330
Posts18,487,557
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.